Thread: Associated Press: "Rand Paul Ready To Enter Senate Race"

Thumbs up Associated Press: "Rand Paul Ready To Enter Senate Race"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6404481.html

[h1]Paul ready to enter GOP primary for Bunning's seat [/h1]
    [h3]By ROGER ALFORD Associated Press Writer © 2009 The Associated Press[/h3]
    [h4]May 2, 2009, 9:31AM[/h4]

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Republican Rand Paul, son of former presidential candidate Ron Paul, said Friday he is poised to enter the race for U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning's seat if the 77-year-old sports icon decides to retire.

"I've been traveling the state and giving speeches as if there is going to be a race," he told The Associated Press. "Every bone in my body says there is going to be a race."

But the Bowling Green, Ky., physician said he won't rush into the campaign just because another potential GOP challenger has stepped forward. His father, who is a physician in Lake Jackson, Texas, represents a Texas Gulf Coast U.S. House district that extends from Galveston to Victoria.

Bunning is former pitcher and Baseball Hall of Famer has won election to the Senate twice from Kentucky, both times by razor-thin margins. Some Republican leaders, fearing Bunning lacks the political muscle to survive a third challenge, are sending not-so-subtle messages that they want him to retire. He raised only $262,980 from January through March for a race that he said would likely cost some $7 million to win.

Paul, a fan of Bunning's conservative fiscal philosophy, said it is those mixed signals that have him standing ready to enter the race.

Paul, who shares many of his father's conservative political views, was an integral part of last year's presidential campaign. He said his father's political organization largely remains intact and could be reactivated to raise money for his Senate race.

His father finished third in Kentucky's Republican presidential primary behind John McCain and Mike Huckabee but well ahead of Mitt Romney, Rudy Giuliani and Alan Keyes.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthisTreason View Post
    I'm seeing this same story a lot of places....
    Yes, wire services send their news everywhere. It's the same story, just worded differently. This one appears in my opinion to be the most favorable to Rand.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I plege 100 dollars when he announces on the first moneybomb. tones

Quote Originally Posted by tonesforjonesbones View Post
    I plege 100 dollars when he announces on the first moneybomb. tones
    +1 tones. I pledge 200.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear