Thread: Dutch Cities Fight Teens With Sonic Death Beam

Dutch Cities Fight Teens With Sonic Death Beam

http://www.asylum.com/2009/04/27/dut...ic-death-beam/

"If you're in Rotterdam, Holland, and start hearing a high-pitched buzzing sound that no one else appears to notice, the good news is you've got youthful, healthy ears.

The painful tone is part of an innovative (dystopian?) approach to ridding the city of a terrifying scourge of young people. Dubbed the "Mosquito," the device discourages teens from hanging out on street corners by frying their little brains with an irritating tone usually only audible to under-25s.

Since they were introduced in Rotterdam a year ago, the company that sells the teen repellents claims to have fitted over 500 around the country and says they have reduced crime and "nuisance."

What's your take on the Mosquito: innovative social-cohesion promoter or sonic oppression tool? (Be advised, typing comments we disagree with will result in a piercing noise being blasted through your computer's speakers)."
    "This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children." -Dwight D. Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Inexplicably, the Dutch have also had a strange rash of dogs going berserk (though none have been subsequently found to have rabies). Scientists, upon learning that these events began at exactly the same moment, have chalked it up to coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Americans are all in the same boat, beseiged by the same sharks. And if we don't remember that, we're all equally $#@!ed.

This is pollution. Where are the Greens now??

usually only audible to under-25s.

I kind of doubt this.

Can none of them see the obvious unintended consequences? How many children accompanying their parents in these areas will inexplicably act up? How will they be treated for this? How many of them will wind up with impaired hearing later in life? How much are they willing to endure for this temporary convenience?
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Americans are all in the same boat, beseiged by the same sharks. And if we don't remember that, we're all equally $#@!ed.

I'm sure they introduced this in England last year or the year before too, there was a mild $#@!storm about it, though I did learn more about how our ears work.

/edit could only find 1 story about it quickly - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7205093.stm

In my opinion, I think these devices are...retarded...if my ears ever became the victim of one these things I'd probably want to make sure it didn't have the opportunity to do it a second time.
    Last edited by Zolah; 04-27-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

http://www.KnowYourRINO.com

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Thomas Pynchon

“It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.” - Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post

I kind of doubt this.
    That's true. There are ring tones that do the same thing. As you getolder the upper range of your hearing wears out. Loud music and urban life helps kill it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post

I kind of doubt this.
    Never heard of dog whistles?
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

http://www.KnowYourRINO.com

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Thomas Pynchon

“It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.” - Voltaire.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.