Thread: Conservatives impose truth rather than lose one soul to heresy?

Question Conservatives impose truth rather than lose one soul to heresy?

Ok, I like the quote from Lew Rockwell's column that says:

"The problem with American conservatism is that it hates the left more than the state, loves the past more than liberty, feels a greater attachment to nationalism than to the idea of self-determination, believes brute force is the answer to all social problems, and thinks it is better to impose truth rather than risk losing one soul to heresy. It has never understood the idea of freedom as a self-ordering principle of society. It has never seen the state as the enemy of what conservatives purport to favor. It has always looked to presidential power as the saving grace of what is right and true about America."

I agree with all of it but I don't understand the line "and thinks it is better to impose truth rather than risk losing one soul to heresy". Does anyone know what that means?
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    Ok, I like the quote from Lew Rockwell's column that says:

"The problem with American conservatism is that it hates the left more than the state, loves the past more than liberty, feels a greater attachment to nationalism than to the idea of self-determination, believes brute force is the answer to all social problems, and thinks it is better to impose truth rather than risk losing one soul to heresy. It has never understood the idea of freedom as a self-ordering principle of society. It has never seen the state as the enemy of what conservatives purport to favor. It has always looked to presidential power as the saving grace of what is right and true about America."

I agree with all of it but I don't understand the line "and thinks it is better to impose truth rather than risk losing one soul to heresy". Does anyone know what that means?
    Maybe impose their version of the truth? I think "impose" might be the key there...?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Maybe impose their version of the truth? I think "impose" might be the key there...?
    Exactly. Public schools are a good example. Rather than pursue freedom in public schools, conservatives have long pursed teaching what they want in public schools. Stuff like that.

Ok, I was thinking it might be something along those lines...

One of the definitions of impose: "to pass or palm off fraudulently or deceptively"

Kinda like how conservatives are OK with Rush Limbaugh illegally abusing drugs, requiring them to act like they've been ok with that type of drug abuse all along, and only in that situation...
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.