Thread: A couple of questions concerning the Constitution

A couple of questions concerning the Constitution

Do ALL members of congress need to swear to uphold the constitution, or only the president?

Following up on that, what are some specific examples of presidents (or members of congress if they need to swear to uphold the constitution) who did things that went AGAINST the Constitution?

Thanks a lot

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    all members must swear to uphold it.

the line item veto is an example of Clinton violating the constitution. the supreme court usually enacts judicial review to make sure people aren't violating the constitution.

I think an amendment for the line item veto would be good. Any veto is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustancostine View Post
    I think an amendment for the line item veto would be good. Any veto is a good thing.
    gives in executive too much power in my opinion

anything else, is there a website I could go to so I could see a bunch of examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustancostine View Post

Well luckily the supreme court dosen't agree.

Why would it be good? It goes against the constitution?

In his majority opinion Justice John Paul Stevens upheld a lower court's decision, concluding "the procedures authorized by the line-item veto act are not authorized by the Constitution."

If Congress wants to give the president that power, they will have to pass a constitutional amendment, Stevens said. "If there is to be a new procedure in which the president will play a different role in determining the text of what may become a law, such change must come not by legislation but through the amendment procedures set forth in Article V of the Constitution," Stevens said.

The court's ruling was a defeat for the Clinton Administration, which asked the high court to reverse the lower court's ruling. President Bill Clinton, traveling in China, said he was "deeply disappointed."

I think I'm set, there's some great stuff at cato.org

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ingram View Post
    I think I'm set, there's some great stuff at cato.org

Cato is an ex-libertarian group now taken over by the Neo-cons.

sad but true.

Check out the other thread on it

2nd Amendment

The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution declares: "A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The 2nd amendment means that the federal government in no way is allowed to infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms. Any Federal limitation, regulate or taxation of firearms is strictly unconstitutional.

If a State's constitution permits it, States may regulate firearms as the Contitution was meant to limit the Federal government to its very few inumerated powers and leave all other powers to the States or the people.

So any member of Congress has violated his oath of office if he votes for any limits on gun ownership. And any President who has signed a law is also in violation of his oath of office.

The most important check against government officials violating their Oath is the American people. We are all entrusted with selecting Congressmen, Senators and Presidents who will uphold the Constitution and to deny re-election of anyone who violates their oath.

The Constitution does not grant me my rights, therefore the federal government cannot take them away from me.

Now if that is the case, why believe that the state can do so? The state has no right to regulate guns just like the federal government has none.
    A place to stay, Enough to eat
    Somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
    Where you can speak out loud
    About your doubts and fears
    And what's more no-one ever disappears
    You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door.
    You can relax on both sides of the tracks
    And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
    And everyone has recourse to the law
    And no one kills the children anymore.

- Roger Waters