Thread: Electing first "Black Pope" next goal of libs post Iraq war

Question Electing first "Black Pope" next goal of libs post Iraq war

I was talking to some liberals and Pope's Easter message came up. From what I gathered, among other things apparently some libs believe that election of Obama was direct result of Iraq war and their next goal was election of first black Pope. To a degree, one could perhaps explain a radical US voter mindset shift post Iraq war that made election of first black President and even first black RNC chairman possible in rapid succession. But the idea that Iraq could now also be a catalyst for election of first black Pope is little hard to grasp. Anyone else heard of this or see this coming?

Looked up online, didn't see much expect this recent speculation:

From Times OnlineNovember 6, 2008

Black Pope could follow Barack Obama's election, says US archbishop

Richard Owen in Rome

The election of Barack Obama as the first African-American US President could pave the way for the election of the first black Pope, according to a leading black American Catholic.

Wilton Daniel Gregory, 60, the Archbishop of Atlanta, said that in the past Pope Benedict XVI had himself suggested that the election of a black pontiff would "send a splendid signal to the world" about the universal Church.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5097668.ece

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I personally do not know any black Catholics, not that there aren't any, but the ratio of white to black Catholics must be very large.
    Thousands of men and women have come and gone here in our country's history, and except for the few, most go unnoticed and remain nameless in the pages of history, as I am sure I will be. -Ron Paul (1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Like A Rock View Post
    I personally do not know any black Catholics, not that there aren't any, but the ratio of white to black Catholics must be very large.
    Most black Catholics live in Africa. The Catholic Church is strong there, and growing stronger. Given the religious situation in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if they packed up and moved there. Might bring back European Congregants who want to be "progressive."
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

If I were a Latin American Catholic and they put in a black Pope, I'd be pissed.

Have the Latin Americans ever had a Pope?

They've got to be, by far, the largest group of Catholics in the world now or probably ever will be.

If sub-Saharan Africa keeps up it's current "progress" they'll all be dead of AIDS or self-inflicted violence soon anyway.

Why not Latino or Asian? It's amazing that those always screaming about racism call for 'universal' action based on such superficialities (of the skin).

But if it must be discussed, it seems the racial demographics of Catholic members have narrowed quite a bit in the past years. I just found this article with some numbers from 2005:

http://network.nshp.org/profiles/blo...could-be-black

There are 67.2 million Catholics in the U.S., approximately 2 million of them African-Americans. Catholics make up 23 percent of the U.S. population. There are 8 million Catholics in the Dominican Republic and 6 million in Haiti, according to the Catholic Almanac.

Catholicism has exploded on the African continent, rising from 7 million in 1914 to 120 million in 2000. Over the next two years, Catholics in Africa are expected to outstrip the number in Europe.

According to the Catholic Almanac, there are approximately 200 million Catholics of African descent.

There are more English-speaking Catholics in Africa than in all other continents combined. The National Black Catholic Congress reports that there are 24.7 million Catholics in Zaire, 17 million in Nigeria, 12.8 million in Uganda, 11.6 million in Tanzania and 9 million in Kenya.

In addition to Arinze, another long-shot chance to become pope is Cardinal Wilfrid Fox Napier of Durban, South Africa.

Many news outlets have reported incorrectly that if elected, Arinze or Napier would become the first Black pope. Actually, it would be the fourth time a Black assumed the throne at the Vatican. The three earlier African popes, all of them now saints, were: Pope Saint Victor 1 (183-203 A.D.), Pope Saint Gelasius 1 (492-496 A.D.) and Pope Saint Miliades 1 (311-314 A.D.).

Some scholars are saying it is Latin America’s turn to have a pope. Almost half of the world’s Catholics – 46 percent – are in Latin America.
    there's one problem with this article (as I've bolded): Is the author assuming that because the 4 were of African decent, that they were 'black' or was their skin actually 'black'....just shows the absurdity of pushing the issue.
    Last edited by RSLudlum; 04-12-2009 at 09:10 PM.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Well they obviously weren`t black. At the time Christianity had not jet spread bellow the Sahara.

Stop the sexist ways. Female pope!
    And to make it non-racist. Asian Female pope.
    And to show they are hip with the new generation. Hot young female Asian pope!
    And to show they are tolerant of other viewpoints. Hot young non-religious female Asian pope.

Imagine the number of converts!

That surprises me. I would have thought that it would be about the same even if latinos don't count. Most black people where I live are Catholic. There's a Catholic church just around the corner from my house with a black priest.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosControl View Post
    And to show they are tolerant of other viewpoints. Hot young non-religious female Asian pope.

Catholics hate Weaboos almost as much as I do.

Libs are pretty racist and cheap, if they just elect minorities to score political points. People should be appointed/elected a position based on merit, not skin color.

Oh yes, the converts will number in the hundreds!
    Last edited by Andrew-Austin; 04-13-2009 at 02:59 PM.

I thought you were talking about the anti-popes.
    I'm assuming now you are talking about a dark skinned pope.
    You are more likely to see a latino.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Do you guys know the real history of the pope? I'll tell you.

The first pope was actually a rabbit. Saint peter Was really a rabbit and Jesus appointed him the first pope because He knew no human could ever fill the role. This is why we worship the Easter Bunny on Easter.

Eventually the rabbit was overthrown by evil men who then became the pope.

The true history of the real pope is guarded by a secret society called the Hare Club for Men.

If you look really close at the Last Supper you will see that Saint Peter is a Rabbit. Leonardo Devinci was in the Hare Club For Men.

Also notice how Saint Peter is surrounded by eggs. That is why we dye eggs on easter.
    Last edited by brandon; 04-13-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    Do you guys know the real history of the pope? I'll tell you.

The first pope was actually a rabbit. Saint peter Was really a rabbit and Jesus appointed him the first pope because He knew no human could ever fill the role. This is why we worship the Easter Bunny on Easter.

Eventually the rabbit was overthrown by evil men who then became the pope.

The true history of the real pope is guarded by a secret society called the Hare Club for Men.

If you look really close at the Last Supper you will see that Saint Peter is a Rabbit. Leonardo Devinci was in the Hare Club For Men.

Oh well, that explains the whole Easter rabbit fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosControl View Post

Now you're talking!