View Poll Results: Choose a career for me...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • High School Teacher

9 18.75%
  • Full-Time Political Activist

2 4.17%
  • Business-Owner

10 20.83%
  • Night-Shift Shelf-Stocker

0 0%
  • Accountant

5 10.42%
  • Purchaser

0 0%
  • Venture Capitalist

7 14.58%
  • Sprinkler System Installer

8 16.67%
  • Other (please specify)

7 14.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choose my career path... I can't.

Choose my career path... I can't.

I've been talking to many people... teachers, relatives, forum members... I just can't seem to pick a career. It's very frustrating how irreversible many choices are. If I dislike a career I go to college for, I'm stuck with it while I try to pay off student loans unless I can find an unrelated job with equal or greater pay.

I've already been accepted into a community college which I had intended to go to for 2 years, taking Gen. Ed. courses and then transferring (the college's credits transfer to just about everywhere in-state). My ACT score was 26, but my cumulative GPA is ~2.8 and my attendance record is a joke, with well over 100 absences over my high school career. I live with my mother, and she is well-off, but not rich, though she has a considerable reserve of wealth in investments and MMAs. I unlawfully (though my accountant insisted that the IRS wouldn't care) started my own Roth IRA account at the age of 16 and have about $2,500 in there now, as well as about $1,000 in savings. I am 100% debt-free at the moment, and my mom has offered to pick up most of my college fees (my first two years are covered by scholarships. She has offered to pay for tuition of my last two years, but I'm on my own for books/rent/living expenses, which is a great deal, of course). She has also offered to loan me start-up costs for a business with no interest if I can present a decent business plan if I decide not to go to college.

List of job/career choices:

High School gov't, social studies (history), economics, and/or psychology teacher

Pros - Stable job. Subjects I'm very passionate about and something I truly want to do. Meaningful job. Good benefits. Relatively high amount of free time. I'm a strong public speaker. I consider myself to be very open-minded, which is essential in keeping indoctrination out of education. Relatively free to do my job as I please.

Cons - Poor initial pay. I'd have to be a member of a Union. For the sake of employability, I'd probably have to minor in Spanish. Poor job outlook in my state. Standardized education and absurd gov't mandates I'd have to follow. I'm occasionally sadistic when dealing with morons. I'd have to deal with 400+ sophomoric $#@!s every day.

Full-Time Political Activist

Pros - I'm a strong public Speaker. No college required. Free to work how I please. Very little pressure. Permitted much creative freedom in how I raise capital for myself. Able to become a significant proponent of liberty. May permit me much free time. I'd be able to meet people I respect very much.

Cons - Terribly unstable personal financial situation. Requires extreme devotion. Requires me to take big risks as I start new projects. May not permit me any free time. I'm occasionally sadistic when dealing with morons. I'd have to deal with 400+ sophomoric $#@!s every day.

Business-Owner (either involving some new method of selling "ideas", sales of computers and parts [the only non-chain PC supplier in the area is shockingly overpriced and carries very little stock], or perhaps a "music store" [instruments, accessories, sheet music, etc.)

Pros - Free to do business as the government permits me. Guaranteed no-interest start-up loan. Land is practically free (errr, as in being without value, not in that it's liberated) where I live. Can probably create (directly and indirectly) the most wealth (not necessarily for myself) as a businessman. I enjoy business and innovating. Unlikely that I'd need to attend college.

Cons - Free to do business only as the government permits me. Very risky. Current economic situation may make for a tough first few years. I'm a poor negotiator when I'm working for myself. I'd have to deal with 40+ sophomoric $#@!s every day.

Night-Shift Shelf-Stocker At A Local Grocery Store

Pros - Stable job (store is in a strong financial position). Lots of free time. Time working is based on efficiency. No college required. Within walking distance. Not too many sophomoric $#@!s. Easy work.

Cons - Just above minimum wage. Unlikely that there is any future beyond the position of night-shift shelf-stocker. If asked, I may be ashamed of my job and worry that it'd discredit me were it brought up.

Accountant

Pros - Not too many sophomoric $#@!s. Good career outlook and relatively good pay. Meaningful work. Many colleges offer relatively cheap programs to become an accountant.

Cons - I have doubts that I could be interested in accounting, and if I'm not interested, I'll be a mediocre worker, at best.

Purchaser

Pros - Meaningful work. I enjoy doing business. When not negotiating on my own behalf, I'm quite a good negotiator. I enjoy the kind of shopping which would be involved. Relatively free to work how I please.

Cons - Poor career outlook. Many purchasers work on a contract and are constantly changing employers. Significant amount of pressure.

I included Sprinkler System Installer and Venture Capitalist because I tested over years in high school, and they consistently (one test/year for four years always showing the same results) contended that they are careers which I would be most compatible with.

Insight will be greatly appreciated

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have no meaningful advice. But I know someone who does:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...0&postcount=37
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I have no meaningful advice. But I know someone who does:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...0&postcount=37
    I'm including that in option #2. I just can't bring myself to say that I'm considering becoming a politician, and besides, I don't have a nifty epic background like most politicians -- no adversity I'd like to mention. Oh -- and I'm really too "crude" a speaker to become anything significant in politics outside of grassroots.

If you can major in Accounting *and* IT systems you'll be set for life.

I think you and I (Jr. in HS) should start a liberty-minded political firm. I am in PoliSci right now at my local JC, and I intend to have my AA by the time I graduate from HS.
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

Sprinkler System Installer

Just cause I tend to be practical.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Sprinkler System Installer

Just cause I tend to be practical.
    Hmmm... Do you think it refers to fire-snuffing sprinklers or garden-watering sprinklers?

I said business owner, you can still be a political activist while owning your own business. 2 birds with one stone, and something to fall back on. Still continue your college career, MBA with a minor in political sciences?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    business owner..

I think you would be best at this..

take your computer making skills.. that has potential.. but I think you have the creativity for something like this and would be too bored doing something menial and redundant..

a business where you run with a good a idea and really get to make all the decisions sounds suited for you.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    Hmmm... Do you think it refers to fire-snuffing sprinklers or garden-watering sprinklers?
    Could be both and agricultural too.
    Honest labor, an established industry, a needed service.
    Like I said,
    Practical.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

If I was starting my career right now, I would get into farming/ranching.

Very hard work, but well placed for TSHTF.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Fire sprinkler installer

Many reasons and I may be partial since I own my own company that does just the design work, but both my husband I have worked in the field and sales doing fire spinkler work.

1) This work is physical, but it is also very demanding mentally. You need to be able to read blueprints (still called that even though they are usually in black and white now.) Being able to visualize the shape and turns a building makes when you see the drawings is a big asset.

2) It pays very well, once you get past the apprentice stage, but if there is an extreme shortage of workers in your area, even an apprentice can make a decent wage.

3) There is an apparent shortage of people going into this technical field, I hear it all the time, contractors need good quality people to put sprinkler systems in. The old school installers are getting to be just that, old and retiring soon. The same could be said for layout technicians, especially talented ones.

That's the other option. Get a job installing sprinkler systems and go to school part time to get your credits for becoming a layout technician (LT), aka to everyone outside the business = designer. I won't go into all the details, but a good, honest, hardworking LT can make a VERY good living, especially if you get your "rating" up to Level 4 NICET, then you can write your own ticket. People in sprinkler sales do make pretty good money, but the competition for those jobs is intense and usually hard to get. Sprinkler sales experience is usually required before a management position is possible, except Design Manager.

PM me if you are interested. Every commercial building over a certain size is required to be sprinklered, even those existing building out there. The existing buildings don't usually get sprinklered unless there is a major renovation or the insurance company requires it. Big field, lots of work, except for right now since construction is slow. Might be a good time to get in on the ground floor though.

Hope this helps, I really like my job a lot.

Pcosmar--how do you know about fire sprinklers? We are a rare breed, and some say inbred--lol usually we have all worked for the same company at one time or another if we're in the same region....And you are right about lawn sprinklers to a point, but no one is required to put a lawn sprinkler system in....
    Last edited by rancher89; 04-10-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher89 View Post
    Fire sprinkler installer
    Okay. Now, I'm very interested. Do I need formal training to start working as a sprinkler system installer? I'm guessing there are businesses which specialize in that where I would apprentice? To become a LT, would I go to a vocational school???

me chose HST, because

1. You work the least
    2. You see and interact with you people
    3. usually comes with benefits (probably union forced, according to John Stossel)

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Here's my $0.02-- it depends upon what you really want. Two major paths- one, you have a desk job and sit in an office. Some really like this- some hate it. Option 2: field work. You may be on the go so, meeting new people, going to different places. Some like this- some hate it.

IMO, you are best being your own boss- but just being a business owner doesn't just happen from nothing. You need to be an expert in that business- from the bottom up.

As an example- you could go to school for two years and study business and accounting- and on the side be working as a sprinkler system installer - keep this up until you learn the ins and outs of the sprinkler business. The start to work on your own, leveraging your business skills learned in school and build a business where you have people working for you installing sprinklers.

There are all kinds of fields you can do this in- and it does make for success- so keep thinking on it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Other.

Most of the "poll" (It's not really a poll... ) options are not realistic.

One doesn't just become a venture capitalist, career politician, business owner, etc without already having a large amount of money saved up and a vast amount of knowledge and experience in the related field. The only realistic options on the are poll are high school teacher, shelf stocker, and accountant. And I would not recommend any of these, because you will get paid terribly (well maybe not being an accountant if you can find the right clients) and you are selling yourself short (You're obviously a bright kid.)

You are a good writer and I know you are good with computers and technology. Goto school to become a computer engineer, electrical engineer, or a programmer. You will make good money, have job opportunities for the rest of your life, and you will most likely be naturally good at it.

How are you at math?
    Last edited by brandon; 04-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    How are you at math?
    I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Beyond that.... Well, I imagine there's about a 50/50 chance I'll get a basic algebra question correct.

I didn't make the poll just thinking that I would just "become" something, but should have labeled it better by asking what should be my career goal.

Forum moderator.

or Lion Tamer.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Beyond that.... Well, I imagine there's about a 50/50 chance I'll get a basic algebra question correct.
    Sounds like you're better at probability than algebra.

You're 18, right?

I went to community college at that age. I switched majors about 5 times while I was there. Couldn't make up my damn mind. Finally settled on electrical engineering and transferred to a four year university. I don't regret my decision at all.

My point: Community college is a great idea. Take a bunch of different classes for a year and find out what really interests you. Then consider if there are job opportunities in that field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Here's my $0.02-- it depends upon what you really want. Two major paths- one, you have a desk job and sit in an office. Some really like this- some hate it. Option 2: field work. You may be on the go so, meeting new people, going to different places. Some like this- some hate it.

IMO, you are best being your own boss- but just being a business owner doesn't just happen from nothing. You need to be an expert in that business- from the bottom up.

As an example- you could go to school for two years and study business and accounting- and on the side be working as a sprinkler system installer - keep this up until you learn the ins and outs of the sprinkler business. The start to work on your own, leveraging your business skills learned in school and build a business where you have people working for you installing sprinklers.

There are all kinds of fields you can do this in- and it does make for success- so keep thinking on it.
    Bryan is right here, Kludge, you have to feel it out, I never knew what I really wanted to do until I stumbled on it late in life (my 40's). One thing that I've found out is that it's never too late to change your job description! I've done a bunch different things in my life --Forest fire fighter, insurance typist, medic in the Army, waitress, cook, sous-chef, caterer, restaurant management, dry cleaning, stay at home mom, student, layout technician (sprinklers) sales (sprinklers) small business owner (sprinklers.)

I'm creative, outspoken, self-driven and a bit anal-retentive. I also can visualize objects/buildings in my head from a drawing. I think taking any kind of training in the engineering field and doing field work during the day in that field, will be very worthwhile, if you fit the profile.

Don't sweat it too much, I worried for years that I was under-achieving, turns out I was having a wonderful life experience, meeting interesting people, gathering great stories to tell the young'uns later in life! Have fun, enjoy life when you can.
    Last edited by rancher89; 04-10-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Forum moderator.

or Lion Tamer.
    Bah. Pay is bad. In both cases.

Ok, In my serious voice.
    I never asked your age, but am guessing young. I can give you some examples I know.
    Eldest Brother.
    Joined the Navy did a tour, Trained Electronics Tech. And Hated it. Had several jobs and finally went to work for a Police Dept. Fixing Radios. Hated it till he retired. But during that time he went to a community college and learned lots of stuff he enjoyed. The job paid him well enough to enjoy his hobbies.

next Brother, Went to College, Poli-Sci. Worked the Lake Freighters from deck hand to pilot, bought a home in the Keys and became a plumber. Still is but will soon retire.

Myself . Droped out in my senior year got GED and joined the Army. Been a drifter, outlaw, and learned to bump dents. Made fair money as a Bodyman/Painter and now own a small farm.

All that to say, none of us planed a "career", but all of us have found success in our paths.
    Follow your heart, follow your feet, and work hard at whatever presents itself.
    Never stop learning, and don't fear change.
    Best of luck.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Kludge you should be a professional john stossel mustache portal designer with a side order of custom computing.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Individually, you guys are fantastically helpful.

Collectively, you're making this even more difficult

Typical.

(Thanks for the replies, though!)

How's this for an until-something-changes plan?

I'll work as a shelf-stocker throughout college. In my spare time, I'll assemble/repair PCs as a hobby. In college, I will be seeking a teaching degree (Idunno which subjects to go with, but a minor in Spanish is practically essential, especially considering that I'll probably need to move into a Southern state for a job). A person today directed me toward a Teach For America program, which looks to be a great opportunity (if I'm lucky, the school I teach at will be so poor that they don't have textbooks, which is frankly a waste of money). If I need to, I can fall back on my teaching degree to go into social work. Eventually, I'd still like to own a business of some sort, which I could operate from my classroom (I think you'd be surprised by how many teachers actually do this).
    Last edited by Kludge; 04-10-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Used an acronym I don't think exists.

Typical.

I'll work as a shelf-stocker throughout college. In my spare time, I'll assemble/repair PCs as a hobby. In college, I will be seeking a teaching degree (Idunno which subjects to go with, but a minor in Spanish is practically essential, especially considering that I'll probably need to move into a Southern state for a job). A person today directed me toward a Teach For America program, which looks to be a great opportunity (if I'm lucky, the school I teach at will be so poor that they don't have textbooks, which is frankly a waste of money). If I need to, I can fall back on my teaching degree to go into social work. Eventually, I'd still like to own a business of some sort, which I could operate from my classroom (I think you'd be surprised by how many teachers actually do this).
    In this day, if you're a person who has student debts to pay, get a job and pay it away before taking more risks is my advice.

I've told you the kind of things that I've done (and still do) to make money, you should know by now whether you're willing to be a business owner.

Teaching? Here's some words of wisdom for you that helped me as a youngin'- "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Teaching? Here's some words of wisdom for you that helped me as a youngin'- "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
    "...Those who can't teach, teach P.E."
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

I think you should be a professional DOUCHEBAG.

Oh wait, YOU ALREADY ARE.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    What do you mean when you were a young un. I thought you were still a kid - I mean "heavenlyboy" kinda sounds - young. How old are you? 34? Or were you born in 1934?

The funny thing is I thought Kludge was older, like at least my age (45). What's LibertyEagle, a teenager?
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast