Thread: Cyberspies Penetrate U.S. Power Grid, Leave Software That Could Disrupt System

Cyberspies Penetrate U.S. Power Grid, Leave Software That Could Disrupt System

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...tware-disrupt/

The U.S. has uncovered evidence that cyberspies, most likely from China and Russia, have penetrated the U.S. power grid and left behind software that could be activated to disrupt American infrastructure, FOX News confirms.

The "intrusions," first reported by The Wall Street Journal, have occurred over a period of time, one U.S. official said -- not all at once.

The breaches are "something we're concerned about," a U.S. official told FOX News.

The concern is that any software could be activated at a later date to disrupt critical systems.

The intrusions were not just limited to the electrical power grid, but affected systems like water and sewage. The motivation for the breaches is not well understood, and while the electronic trail appears to lead to China and Russia, it is not clear whether these actions were state-sponsored.

The Washington embassies of China and Russia deny involvement.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the espionage appeared pervasive across the country and did not target any particular region or company.

The intrusions were in many cases detected by U.S. intelligence agencies, not the companies, officials told the Journal.

"If we go to war with them, they will try to turn them on," one official told the Journal.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, perfect timing to scare people into accepting laws that will prevent a "cyber katrina". What a nice coincidence for the government.

"Quick, we need executive order for the President to safe-keep the Internet!"

"We need your data so it won't be stolen by Commie Thugs!"

"Your rights are safe with us!"

[Jeremy] zach is a typical racist from WV
    [CaseyJones] zach is hiding the fact that he is reptilian
    In 2012, 3rd party chatrooms will take over RPF Main Chat:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...69&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Wow, perfect timing to scare people into accepting laws that will prevent a "cyber katrina". What a nice coincidence for the government.
    but we could diez if the lights go out!!11

/sarcasm

I hate our government and I hate our media. I want the internet to be free. If they REALLY wanted to keep their $#@! secure they could do it.

"FOX News' Catherine Herridge, Mike Levine, Mike Emanuel and Mosheh Oinounou contributed to this report."

I wonder who their sources are, maybe from the government? Propaganda artists.

[hysteria]We need Jay Rockefeller and the NSA to control the internets![/hysteria]