Thread: North Korea space launch 'fails'

North Korea space launch 'fails'

North Korea failed in its attempt to get a satellite into space after a rocket launch early on Sunday, US and South Korean officials say.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7984254.stm

Two stages of the rocket and its payload landed in the Pacific Ocean, a US military statement said.

Hours earlier North Korea claimed the satellite had successfully been put into orbit and was transmitting data.

The US, EU, Japan and South Korea condemned the launch, thought to be a cover for a long-range missile test.

See satellite images of North Korea's launch pad

US President Barack Obama urged Pyongyang to "refrain from further provocative actions".

"North Korea broke the rules once more by testing a rocket that could be used for a long-range missile," Mr Obama told a crowd in the Czech capital, Prague.

Obama condemns North Korea launch

"This provocation underscores the need for action - not just this afternoon at the UN Security Council, but in our determination to prevent the spread of these weapons."

Later a joint US-EU statement urged Pyongyang to abandon its pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and "policy of threats aimed at its neighbours".

The launch "harms peace and stability in northeast Asia", the statement added.

The Security Council approved a Japanese request for the emergency session.

Washington, Tokyo and Seoul regard the launch as a clear violation of Security Council resolution 1718 adopted in October 2006, which bans North Korea from carrying out ballistic missile activity.

However, both China and Russia have urged restraint in the international response.

'No threat to US'

In a statement on its website, the US Northern Command said North Korea launched a three-stage Taepodong-2 missile at 0230 GMT.

"Stage one of the missile fell into the Sea of Japan/East Sea. The remaining stages along with the payload itself landed in the Pacific Ocean.

An undated photo of North Korean missile test

"No object entered orbit and no debris fell on Japan."

US military authorities "assessed the space launch vehicle as not a threat to North America or Hawaii and took no action in response to this launch", the statement added.

Earlier, state media in North Korea said that the "Kwangmyongsong-2" satellite had been placed in orbit.

The satellite was transmitting data and the "Song of General Kim Il-sung" and "Song of General Kim Jong-il" - references to the late founder of North Korea and his son, the current leader - the report said.

The BBC's John Sudworth in Seoul says a failure would seriously detract from North Korea's ability to exploit the propaganda value of the launch, although it may never admit it to its own people.

In a previous satellite launch attempt in 1998, North Korea said it was sending up a device that would orbit the world transmitting revolutionary melodies.

It claimed this was also successful but the launch is believed to have been a failure as no trace of the satellite was ever found.

Testing technology?

North Korea gave prior warning of the launch and repeatedly said it was using it as part of the peaceful pursuit of a space programme, as is its right under international law.
    HAVE YOUR SAY

For those of you who claim that North Korea has the right to test rockets... O.K... but how you feel about one coming over your country without permission being given... get real!

Richard, Kobe, Japan

But Pyongyang's neighbours and the US are concerned about the potential military use of the launch vehicle.

They believe the real aim of the launch was to test long-range missile technology, specifically the Taepodong-2.

They believe it could put parts of the US within the communist nation's military reach.

North Korea first tested a Taepodong-2 in July 2006. It failed less than a minute after lift-off.

Three months later, Pyongyang carried out a nuclear test.

International talks involving the US, South Korea, Japan, Russia and China on an aid-for-nuclear disarmament deal are currently stalled.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 04-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    hmmm..interesting

but why did they 'test' at first place..since they already got ready-made tech from the Chinese..not only that but they also sold it to Pakistan in exchange for their assistance in NK nuclear program...

Maybe since US is closing in on Pakistan, China wants to make NK blame free? because that will givw US an excuse to target NK next..

or

China is testing US missile interception capabilities via NK, which is of course their pawn.
    you needn't open every door in the asylum to realize that you are in a madhouse

Current and ex Alex Jones listeners
    Where do you place this guy vis-a-vis AJ ? 1 2

Guest: Eustace Mullins

Quote Originally Posted by rpfan2008 View Post
    hmmm..interesting

but why did they 'test' at first place..since they already got ready-made tech from the Chinese..not only that but they also sold it to Pakistan in exchange for their assistance in NK nuclear program...

Maybe since US is closing in on Pakistan, China wants to make NK blame free? because that will givw US an excuse to target NK next..

or

China is testing US missile interception capabilities via NK, which is of course their pawn.
    The chinese space program isn't that great either. They are were we were in 1961 when we put our guy in orbit.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

How could this be a response to my post??

There are not enough FAIL pictures out there to describe North Korea.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

How could this be a response to my post??
    You assume N Korea gets it tech from china?

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    You assume N Korea gets it tech from china?
    Yes I believe they do.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes I believe they do.
    Then my post is to follow up on that assumption. Not denying it, but showing that our early missile tech wasn't the greatest either. China's tech level is close to the level we were at in '61.
    Then you put that tech data into the hands of an extremely poor totalitarian dictatorship country and you get what?
    Debris in the pacific ocean.

Then my post is to follow up on that assumption. Not denying it, but showing that our early missile tech wasn't the greatest either. China's tech level is close to the level we were at in '61.
    Then you put that tech data into the hands of an extremely poor totalitarian dictatorship country and you get what?
    But I still wonder why they were allowed to do it, why China thought it will be a good idea for them to test?!

It isn't that China or the US 'allowed' them to do it. They decided to to do it on their own accord.

I am convinced the timing is from Iran launching its own satellite a month ago or so. That launch was acutally successful btw. It just seems too much of a coincidence.

Partially based on this, the launch accomplishes two things: 1) Tell people in your nation we can stand strong and 2) Tell the outside world we have to be treated as a nation.

Also note North Korea and China aren't best buddies, but rather more like lukewarm. I think at this point China would never militarily intervene on behalf of North Korea unless a Western state attacked first. Other than that, it is just sometimes wielding veto power in their favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    It isn't that China or the US 'allowed' them to do it. They decided to to do it on their own accord.
    Kim Jong is to China what Karzai is to US. He's not independent, he relies on China's assurances for a stable BP.

I am convinced the timing is from Iran launching its own satellite a month ago or so. That launch was acutally successful btw. It just seems too much of a coincidence.
    Disagree

Partially based on this, the launch accomplishes two things: 1) Tell people in your nation we can stand strong and 2) Tell the outside world we have to be treated as a nation.
    I believe it's more a Chinese warning to US, that if you neutralize Pakistan, we'll create another one...or simply to test ABM capabilities.

Also note North Korea and China aren't best buddies, but rather more like lukewarm. I think at this point China would never militarily intervene on behalf of North Korea unless a Western state attacked first. Other than that, it is just sometimes wielding veto power in their favor.
    Of course it may not intervene but what it's doing is creating a barrier for any western power that might become active around Japan. It will USE NK to create pressure on Japan/SK which will be transferred to US, as the guarantor of peace in the region. So US can't think of redeploying those troops anywhere else...even if required. My view.
    Last edited by rpfan2008; 04-05-2009 at 12:45 PM.

What you get is an excuse for the war-mongering Dems and the neocons to unite against yet another enemy.

Go look at other boards. The neocons are essentially saying that Obama is too much of a wimp to respond, and the Dems are furious that Bush didn't invade N Korea, leaving the problem for poor Obama.

Apparently at least the first two stages fired. Thats pretty good and better than last time.

Space X, a well funded American company, recently took four attempts to get their rocket to orbit, with the best minds and tech available.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Apparently at least the first two stages fired. Thats pretty good and better than last time.

Space X, a well funded American company, recently took four attempts to get their rocket to orbit, with the best minds and tech available.
    but limited budget. that's the trick.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldnt put much stock into the "official story" according to US and SK media. Russia and NK are both saying the satellite was successfully launched. Remember, the US media was also the ones saying Russia just decided to invade Georgia. The real story about Georgia starting the conflict was only admitted months later. If NK did launch a satellite, the media wouldn't admit it because it would then make the US gov't (and their lackys) look pretty foolish for getting so worked up over it, calling NK liars and an ICBM test, etc. I don't believe the media about much of anything anymore.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I wouldnt put much stock into the "official story" according to US and SK media. Russia and NK are both saying the satellite was successfully launched. Remember, the US media was also the ones saying Russia just decided to invade Georgia. The real story about Georgia starting the conflict was only admitted months later. If NK did launch a satellite, the media wouldn't admit it because it would then make the US gov't (and their lackys) look pretty foolish for getting so worked up over it, calling NK liars and an ICBM test, etc. I don't believe the media about much of anything anymore.
    Find a russiaTV clip that shows them playing it's signal.
    If I knew how it was broadcasting, I'd try to pick it up.