Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insider Trading: Illegal For You, But Not For Congress! HR 682

Angry Insider Trading: Illegal For You, But Not For Congress! HR 682

http://rightsoup.com/insider-trading...ngress-hr-682/

WTF?? From the article...

"One special group, however, gets to skirt these regulations. I was outraged to find that a dangerous legal loophole exists; one which allows members of Congress and high-powered executive-branch appointees to exploit “insider” knowledge of publicly traded companies, in order to make personal profits.

Under current law, Congress and staff who have access to the privileged “non-public information” gathered through official oversight proceedings, are NOT prohibited from using that information for personal benefit in securities and commodities trading. The SEC does not have the authority to hold employees of Congress, or the Executive Branch, liable for using insider information gained from official proceedings for insider trading. Equally as abhorrent: there are lobbyists and traders who haunt the halls of Congress seeking insider tips from staff, and are known as “political intelligence consultants.” They may also enrich themselves and their clients using this confidential information.

“Insider trading” is HIGHLY illegal for you, me and every other person who trades in the securities markets. Why is it legal for government officials? ...."

This is an OUTRAGE. Dr. Paul, please help end this travesty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    im just speechless as to the fast paced change we have seen just this year.

Insider Trading: Illegal For You, But Not For Congress! H.R. 682

It is mind-blowing. They really meant that "don't waste a good crisis". Straight out of the Saul Alinsky playbook.
    The bill, HR 682 seeks to end this gravy train for government officials. Currently, it sits in the House Finance Committee.
    Last edited by freegirl; 03-29-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Another aspect of Hamilton's curse?
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Good god almighty.

This really puts political corruption and the military-industrial complex into a whole new perspective.

I'm an ex-financial advisor, and this literally BLOWS MY MIND that this bull$#@! is legal.

Along with all of the existing public outrage at the government, this could be a real flashpoint issue.
    Last edited by silverhawks; 03-29-2009 at 10:35 PM.

I'm an ex too. How basic is "no insider trading?" How much disclosure did we constantly have to file for compliance...this is why I'm so outraged. I'm not sure people understand what a freaking cash cow this ability is!

Thanks for bumping this issue to Digg- maybe some people will wake up! Congress is only going to be getting MORE inside info as the government controls more and more companies!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i digg - so should others!
    Last edited by nayjevin; 03-30-2009 at 07:56 AM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

They've considered themselves above the laws they write for some time now. Why are we surprised that they'd become arrogant enough to codify their own immunity? Hell, is frequenting a prostitute illegal for the likes of Vitter? Is Alaska's Senator Ted in jail? Do the war crimes international laws apply to our so-called leaders? Do they not merely call bribes 'campaign contributions'?

I can't imagine a better definition of tyranny than 'where the lawmakers don't have to obey the laws they make'. Kind of removes the incentive to write sane laws, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by freegirl View Post
    I'm an ex too. How basic is "no insider trading?" How much disclosure did we constantly have to file for compliance...this is why I'm so outraged. I'm not sure people understand what a freaking cash cow this ability is!
    Let's see.

* Someone gets elected to Congress.
    * They are lobbied by publicly traded companies and corporations, and given substantial "campaign donations".
    * They buy stock in said company (i.e. John Kerry owns a ton of AIG stock)
    * They change regulations to suit those companies. (ie. the husband of the person who sponsored the Food Safety Modernization Act working for Monsanto)
    * The Congressperson, whomever they decide to share this info with ahead of time, and the company profit, all from breaking the law.
    Not to mention that members of Congress seem to be able to share this information amongst themselves, compounding this so many times over!

This is a VAST conflict of interest...the DEFINITION of moral hazard. Isn't this the moral hazard we should be arguing against with the bailouts, rather than the moral hazard of lenders or irresponsible homebuyers?

I suggest we try ANY member of Congress that has profited from this under RICO! Up to and including the President!

RICO after all, is there to punish securities fraud - which includes insider trading.

Just so people know - if you get WORDING wrong in literature advertising an investment, the SEC comes down on you like a ton of bricks, with vast fines; let alone actually break the law.
    Last edited by silverhawks; 03-30-2009 at 08:10 AM.

For those interested, here are the civil penalties from the US Code regarding insider trading.

(2) Amount of penalty for person who committed violation

The amount of the penalty which may be imposed on the person who committed such violation shall be determined by the court in light of the facts and circumstances, but shall not exceed three times the profit gained or loss avoided as a result of such unlawful purchase, sale, or communication.

(3) Amount of penalty for controlling person

The amount of the penalty which may be imposed on any person who, at the time of the violation, directly or indirectly controlled the person who committed such violation, shall be determined by the court in light of the facts and circumstances, but shall not exceed the greater of $1,000,000, or three times the amount of the profit gained or loss avoided as a result of such controlled person’s violation. If such controlled person’s violation was a violation by communication, the profit gained or loss avoided as a result of the violation shall, for purposes of this paragraph only, be deemed to be limited to the profit gained or loss avoided by the person or persons to whom the controlled person directed such communication.

Failing this, in order to prevent illegal insider trading, Section 16 of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 requires that: when an "insider" (defined as all officers, directors and 10% owners) buys the corporation's stock and sells it within six months, all of the profits must go to the company. By making it impossible for insiders to gain from small moves, much of the temptation of insider trading is removed. Company insiders are also required to disclose changes in the ownership of their positions including all purchases and dispositions of shares.

And section 32(a) of the Securities Exchange Act states:

Willful violations; false and misleading statements

Any person who willfully violates any provision of this title
    (other than section 30A), or any rule or regulation thereunder the violation of which is made unlawful or the observance of which is required under the terms of this title, or any person who willfully and knowingly makes, or causes to be made, any statement in any application, report, or document required to be filed under this title or any rule or regulation thereunder or any undertaking contained in a registration statement as provided in subsection (d) of section 15, or by any self-regulatory organization in connection with an application for membership or participation therein or to become associated with a member thereof, which statement was false or misleading with respect to any material fact, shall upon conviction be fined not more than $5,000,000, or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, except that when such person is a person other than a natural person, a fine not exceeding $25,000,000 may be imposed; but no person shall be subject to imprisonment under this section for the violation of any rule or regulation if he proves that he had no knowledge of such rule or regulation.
    Last edited by silverhawks; 03-30-2009 at 08:09 AM.

In the bailout environment we are currently in, this is especially egregious.

They literally can pick who is gonna survive and who they are going to let fail.

They know who to short and who to bet on. This is an outrage!

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post

They literally can pick who is gonna survive and who they are going to let fail.

More of an outrage than the way Dubya improved his Carlisle Group stock and Cheney literally saved the bacon of his Halliburton/KBR stock? I think not.

Just goes to show that flagrant abuse of power for monetary gain is a bipartisan activity, that's all.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    More of an outrage than the way Dubya improved his Carlisle Group stock and Cheney literally saved the bacon of his Halliburton/KBR stock? I think not.

Just goes to show that flagrant abuse of power for monetary gain is a bipartisan activity, that's all.
    You have to think about this - Bush and Cheney may not have been the only ones who benefited from those transactions. This is insider trading on a whole new level, because Congress can change the laws and regulations that govern companies.

This isn't "just" abuse of power for gain...this is manipulating an entire economy to line your pockets with no limitations.
    Last edited by silverhawks; 03-30-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post

That's PRECISELY the issue. They can progressively collapse the economy, regardless of the effects to the public, and profit from it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhawks View Post
    That's PRECISELY the issue. They can progressively collapse the economy, regardless of the effects to the public, and profit from it.
    Obviously. Anyone with clear vision sees it happening right this instant.

For those interested, here are the civil penalties from the US Code regarding insider trading.

(2) Amount of penalty for person who committed violation

The amount of the penalty which may be imposed on the person who committed such violation shall be determined by the court in light of the facts and circumstances, but shall not exceed three times the profit gained or loss avoided as a result of such unlawful purchase, sale, or communication.

(3) Amount of penalty for controlling person

The amount of the penalty which may be imposed on any person who, at the time of the violation, directly or indirectly controlled the person who committed such violation, shall be determined by the court in light of the facts and circumstances, but shall not exceed the greater of $1,000,000, or three times the amount of the profit gained or loss avoided as a result of such controlled person’s violation. If such controlled person’s violation was a violation by communication, the profit gained or loss avoided as a result of the violation shall, for purposes of this paragraph only, be deemed to be limited to the profit gained or loss avoided by the person or persons to whom the controlled person directed such communication.

Failing this, in order to prevent illegal insider trading, Section 16 of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934 requires that: when an "insider" (defined as all officers, directors and 10% owners) buys the corporation's stock and sells it within six months, all of the profits must go to the company. By making it impossible for insiders to gain from small moves, much of the temptation of insider trading is removed. Company insiders are also required to disclose changes in the ownership of their positions including all purchases and dispositions of shares.

And section 32(a) of the Securities Exchange Act states:

Willful violations; false and misleading statements

Any person who willfully violates any provision of this title
    (other than section 30A), or any rule or regulation thereunder the violation of which is made unlawful or the observance of which is required under the terms of this title, or any person who willfully and knowingly makes, or causes to be made, any statement in any application, report, or document required to be filed under this title or any rule or regulation thereunder or any undertaking contained in a registration statement as provided in subsection (d) of section 15, or by any self-regulatory organization in connection with an application for membership or participation therein or to become associated with a member thereof, which statement was false or misleading with respect to any material fact, shall upon conviction be fined not more than $5,000,000, or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, except that when such person is a person other than a natural person, a fine not exceeding $25,000,000 may be imposed; but no person shall be subject to imprisonment under this section for the violation of any rule or regulation if he proves that he had no knowledge of such rule or regulation.
    THANKS for posting the consequences of these actions for everyone ELSE (outside of government officials.) This is insane...corruption at the highest level.

THANKS for posting the consequences of these actions for everyone ELSE (outside of government officials.) This is insane...corruption at the highest level.
    Agreed. Nothing like a lawmaker being immune to their own laws.

People NEED to know this information, it puts all of the bailouts in a whole new light.

Would someone mind posting a copy of the artcle here?

Blocked by my employer

Insider Trading: Illegal For You, But Not For Congress! - H.R. 682

http://rightsoup.com/insider-trading...ngress-hr-682/

“Insider trading”… buying or selling securities based on knowledge that hasn’t been publicly disclosed is a felony. It’s prohibition is one of the basics of securities regulation and law. Imagine if you knew for a fact that a company’s earnings report was going to be better than expected- you could buy the stock before earnings were reported, and make a pile of cash after the good news was announced. You would also be cheating the rest of the public to whom the information had not been disclosed.

Lots of you know my background on Wall Street; 2 decades as an investment portfolio manager. The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) required us to disclose EVERY securities trade we made on our own behalf, to ensure we were not violating any securities regulations- especially “insider trading.” These regulations are very strictly enforced… and the SEC was, and is, vigilant in prosecuting violators. Just ask Martha Stewart.

One special group, however, gets to skirt these regulations. I was outraged to find that a dangerous legal loophole exists; one which allows members of Congress and high-powered executive-branch appointees to exploit “insider” knowledge of publicly traded companies, in order to make personal profits.

Under current law, Congress and staff who have access to the privileged “non-public information” gathered through official oversight proceedings, are NOT prohibited from using that information for personal benefit in securities and commodities trading. The SEC does not have the authority to hold employees of Congress, or the Executive Branch, liable for using insider information gained from official proceedings for insider trading. Equally as abhorrent: there are lobbyists and traders who haunt the halls of Congress seeking insider tips from staff, and are known as “political intelligence consultants.” They may also enrich themselves and their clients using this confidential information.

“Insider trading” is HIGHLY illegal for you, me and every other person who trades in the securities markets. Why is it legal for government officials?

Currently, government officials do not have a duty of confidentiality to Congress, and therefore are not liable for insider trading. Because of this, Members and government employees can use government information which only THEY have access to when making investment decisions.

A 2004 report from Georgia State University showed that United States Senators received annual investment returns that were approximately 25% higher than what typical Americans were able to achieve. No shock to me… being able to trade with inside knowledge would be a virtually risk-less way to bag HUGE profits…if it weren’t illegal. Similarly, there is currently nothing to stop Congressional staffers and executive branch employees from sharing inside information with their friends. Armed with information not available to the general public, these people are able to make lucrative investment decisions that can either make them a windfall profit, or save them from a devastating loss.

“Political intelligence” firms have created a multi-million dollar industry to traffic this information. Since they first showed up in the 1970s, these firms have operated in secret, and largely without government controls. They provide investors with inside information about impending legislative action that can be used to inform investment decisions. One recent questionable example of these firms’ influence appeared in late 2005:

On November 15, 2005, the stock of a building materials company in Chicago, USG Corp, suddenly doubled, despite the fact that there was no publicly available news about the company, or it’s industry, which would explain the increase in volume and stock price. What the public didn’t know yet, but what some investors discovered through back channels and political intelligence companies, was that then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist had quietly decided to move forward with legislation to relieve companies, such as USG Corp, of their liabilities in asbestos related lawsuits.

Treasury Secretary Geithner is now pushing for a HUGE expansion of governmental control over ALL types of companies. Do you think the government might run across any non-public info while policing them? Hell yes, they will.

Currently languishing before Barney Frank’s Banking and Finance committee is H.R. 682, the “Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge Act.” It was introduced by 3 Democrats: Mr. Baird, Ms. Slaughter and Mr. Walz. It is short, very straightforward, and seeks to prohibit “insider trading” practices by government officials and their cronies.

I may not line up with these Representatives on some other matters, but I absolutely applaud this proposed legislation. It was attempted by Rep. Baird once before, only to die in committee. I have contacted the three sponsors of H.R. 682, and I look forward to reporting what I learn from them.

This kind of prohibition and transparency is right in line with Obama’s campaign promises, should he decide to keep one. It’s truly a bi-partisan issue. It’s patently unfair and downright dirty for Congress to be allowed to line their pockets doing something that would land the rest of us in PRISON.

This issue and this bill have had virtually ZERO attention from the press. When I discovered it while doing other research, I kept telling myself that surely there was something I was missing- that Congress COULDN’T be exempt from such basic, fundamental securities laws. Well, I wasn’t missing anything, and I’m furious about it. I hope you are too.

Contact your Representatives and demand that they vigorously support H.R. 682. Whether Democrat or Republican, these hypocrites are playing us for fools. This should be a pitchfork moment.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 03-30-2009 at 09:06 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I'm also wondering whether people will start asking about Obama's stock portfolio...

For a start, here's a link to his portfolio. Note, I don't think this covers Michelle Obama's investments.

Picking Apart Obama's Stock Portfolio

A look at his recent investment record reveals that, like his supporters, Obama has a taste for betting on long shots. But two such bets placed in 2005 raise questions about the senator's judgment when it comes to buying stock in companies that are in line for federal funding.

Obama's lean portfolio from 2005 -- the most recent data available to the public -- reflects his status as a newcomer and an outsider to the establishment of beltway presidential politics. The more conventional candidates, such as the early Democratic frontrunner, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and her Republican counterpart, Sen. John McCain, boast vast networks of investments that are typical of a public figure heading up a well-oiled political machine. Obama's investments, meanwhile, are mostly tied up in a short list of conservative mutual funds.

A closer look, however, shows that in 2005 he dabbled in two obscure stocks -- Skyterra Communications (SKYT Quote - Cramer on SKYT - Stock Picks) and AVI Biopharma (AVII Quote - Cramer on AVII - Stock Picks) -- that happened to get large amounts of revenue from a source with which Obama has some familiarity: the federal government.

Aside from sharing the same deep-pocketed benefactor, the two have one more thing in common. They both provide services in an area that has become a hot-button issue on Capitol Hill and with the electorate: homeland security.

To be sure, it's not uncommon to find elected officials in Congress who hold investments in companies that receive federal funding or provide testimony to their legislative committees. In fact, it's hard to find any politicians with money in the stock market who aren't at least indirectly invested in a major government contractor, such as General Electric(GE Quote - Cramer on GE - Stock Picks) or Boeing (BA Quote - Cramer on BA - Stock Picks).

But Obama's 2005 trades raise questions in that Skyterra Communications and AVI Biopharma are far more speculative and uncommon stocks than those blue-chip staples. They both have much smaller market caps -- less than $700 million -- and lower trading volumes. While there's no evidence that Obama had a role in the contracts for the companies, given his other investments, it seems an unlikely coincidence that the senator would be familiar with either company except through his work as a legislator.

In 2005, Skyterra was viewed by Wall Street as a way to speculate in the public markets on the fortunes of MSV, which provides testimony and white papers to Congress about the value of satellite communications to the U.S. military and the Department of Homeland Security.

Obama's purchase came right around the time that MSV received approval from the Federal Communications Commission to construct a nationwide wireless network with both satellite and terrestrial components.
    That ruling raised the prospect that MSV would form an alliance with a major terrestrial phone carrier, such as Verizon (VZ Quote - Cramer on VZ - Stock Picks) or AT&T (T Quote - Cramer on T - Stock Picks).

Like other investors, Obama may have purchased the stock in February based on the company's new prospects, but MSV also got a huge influx of public money that year.

According to OMB Watch, which tracks the spending habits of the federal government, MSV received $167,064 in federal funds in 2004, and 28% of that money came from so-called no-bid contracts.

In 2005, the year Obama traded Skyterra stock, the amount of federal funds MSV received swelled to more than $250 million, and 76.4% of that came from no-bid contracts.

Obama sold his Skyterra holdings on Nov. 1, 2005, when the stock closed at $31. Based on the stock's closing price of $39.10 on Feb. 10, the day he bought the shares, he recorded a loss of about 21% on the investment.

Burton says Obama lost $15,000 on his Skyterra trade. Still, the sale was timely because Skyterra shares then dropped off precipitously in early 2006 after a partnership with a major phone carrier never materialized.

Some of the senator's losses in Skyterra were mitigated by his investment in AVI Biopharma. That company makes drugs that can be used to treat a number of infectious diseases, some of which are listed on the Department of Homeland Security list of bioterrorism viruses, including West Nile, bird flu, Dengue, SARS and Ebola.

AVI spokeswoman Jenny Moede says the company, based in Portland, Ore., has collaborated with various agencies of the federal government to test its technology on animals. It has not yet been used on humans, and the government has yet to stockpile any of its drugs.

OMB Watch reports that AVI received $164,078 in 2004 for research grants. In the first three quarters of 2005, the year that Obama made his trades in the stock, that amount increased nearly three times to $471,696.

According to public filings, Obama purchased between $1,000 and $15,000 worth of shares in AVI on Feb. 22, 2005, when the stock was trading at just above $2. He then sold his stake on Oct. 28 of that year, when the stock closed at $3.47 that day, suggesting Obama had roughly a 73% gain.

While Obama ultimately lost money on his stock trades, these two moves do raise the question of whether there are ethical issues that should have restrained the senator from investing in shares of such unusual companies at a time when they were benefiting from federal funding.

Alex Knott, political editor for the Center for Public Integrity, says that, despite the rules in place, conflicts of interest for elected officials in Congress arise all the time.

"Wall Street and Pennsylvania Avenue connect in so many ways, and lawmakers constantly have the ability to drop earmarks or amendments into legislation that could make a stock on the Nasdaq rise or fall dramatically," says Knott.
    Now one thing here is clearly inaccurate in light of the new info:

There are no rules for senators prescribed by the Senate Ethics Committee that directly prohibit them from owning shares in companies that deal with the federal government. They are not, however, allowed to trade on information that isn't available to the public, and they are supposed to avoid conflicts of interest between their legislative duties and their personal financial interests.
    Is it me, or do these two stories essentially add up to the President of the United States being guilty of insider trading?

What do you think, Freegirl?
    Last edited by silverhawks; 03-30-2009 at 09:51 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    why isn't this article on Drudge right about now?

I'm also wondering whether people will start asking about Obama's stock portfolio...

For a start, here's a link to his portfolio. Note, I don't think this covers Michelle Obama's investments.

Picking Apart Obama's Stock Portfolio

Now one thing here is clearly inaccurate in light of the new info:

Is it me, or do these two stories essentially add up to the President of the United States being guilty of insider trading?

What do you think, Freegirl?
    I say YES, guilty of insider trading. I'd love to know what is in a lot of government officials' portfolios. It would certainly make for some interesting digging. I guarantee they're loaded with stocks they've bought on non-public, confidential info. And B.S. on prohibited from trading on inside info. Ergo, the proposed bill.
    Last edited by freegirl; 03-30-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by ravedown View Post
    why isn't this article on Drudge right about now?
    Did you send it over there?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I say YES, guilty of insider trading. I'd love to know what is in a lot of government officials' portfolios. It would certainly make for some interesting digging. I guarantee they're loaded with stocks they've bought on non-public, confidential info. And B.S. on prohibited from trading on inside info. Ergo, the proposed bill.
    You'd have to look for the links between this info then:

1) A representatives stock portfolio, including purchases and sales. This would really also include spouses or family members, who may have a separate portfolio.

2) A history of legislation passed in Congress around the purchase and sales dates. This would build into a history of regulation against said companies, to see if regulations were loosened up around the same time members of Congress "decided" to invest.

3) Whether or not representatives who had stock in the company voted on the legislation, and how often they made "timely" sales or purchases.

4) Whether those representatives received "donations" from said companies, and how much.

If you could show convincing links between all of this, that would be mind-blowing if it went viral.

You'd have to look for the links between this info then:

1) A representatives stock portfolio, including purchases and sales. This would really also include spouses or family members, who may have a separate portfolio.

2) A history of legislation passed in Congress around the purchase and sales dates. This would build into a history of regulation against said companies, to see if regulations were loosened up around the same time members of Congress "decided" to invest.

3) Whether or not representatives who had stock in the company voted on the legislation, and how often they made "timely" sales or purchases.

4) Whether those representatives received "donations" from said companies, and how much.

If you could show convincing links between all of this, that would be mind-blowing if it went viral.
    Mind blowing indeed. You would also want to look at staffer's portfolios, as it seems they are "covered" too. So sorry I have to go to work now, but I'm going to dig more when I get back. So glad I'm not the only one who cares!!!

Wonder how many were short today? Soros may be getting a little help! I want to get a feel for how widespread this crap is. Think about how many cooks are in the kitchen of the financial sector alone. And it's 30% of our GDP. The fact that the "political intelligence" industry seems to be thriving tells me that Congress has lots of "inside information". And they will, if Timmy and Ben have their way, have a whole lot more. Hey, the government's gonna cover the warranties on our cars! Bottom line is, no matter how much they trade dirty...it's more than they should be allowed to. I'm not dumb enough to think these clowns can resist THIS temptation, after all, it's legal. For them.

I sent this to Drudge. Maybe if more people do, he could help blow it up. I have a feeling Congressional portfolios aren't suffering NEARLY as much as ours are. An investigation would be delicious.
    Last edited by freegirl; 03-30-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast