Thread: *Shipping Container Housing*

*Shipping Container Housing*

This might be a great way to get off the grid in a hurry.
    http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_gr...er-houses.html

Very easy to place and assemble.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $2,000 for a used one...

There is a chance that it leaks too.
    Family has 5 of them for storage.

You can get a mobile for $2,000 used if you look.

The local trainyard probably has them for cheaper than that (if you can move it yourself). Mine has them for $1500.

I'm looking to install a couple of these under my new house, that's if I don't decide build the whole house in a number of them underground.

exactly why nobody has an excuse to be homeless, cars work too.

Umm, yes they do. You have to buy land, get permits (God help you), install plumbing and electricity, amongst other things. Try doing all of that while also being mentally deficient (possibly straight up insane) and see how far you get.

great idea for storage, esp underground.

i've heard people discuss burying old school busses, but i'd be willing to wager this is cheaper.

if you use one for above ground storage, i'd imagine you could convert it into a shelter later on if the need arises.
    Whats in your survival cache?

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."

My cousin is a government employee doing IT work for the Army and Air Force. He lived in a single shipping container for many many many months, if not a year or more.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

My best friend is building one out of a 40' high cube (9'6" tall). I hauled it for him. Its going to be really nice. When he's done I'll post some pics. Right now he is primering the inside and out.

1 bed, 1 bath, kitchen, built-in computer work table, living area at the end with a sliding glass door.

Note: He is building his on the container trailer - permanently. For easy moving.

TMike
    Last edited by TruckinMike; 03-29-2009 at 05:50 AM.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This makes me wish I had more money, if just to utilise a couple of these as storage or workshop space.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    that's if I don't decide build the whole house in a number of them underground.
    Imagine the efficiency of such a home... always cool, nearly indestructible, and hidden from criminals etc. The only real tell would be where you park your cars.

This one is amazing. But I would tip it over and do side by side instead of vertical so it would go underground easier.
    Last edited by LATruth; 03-30-2009 at 11:34 AM.

You would want to think very carefully about putting stuff underground, it takes a lot of consideration and its a pain to change anything.

I have seen this in person several times *Student Housing Project Keetwonen, Amsterdam* very impressive and the ultimate Hot Box.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by LATRuth View Post
    Imagine the efficiency of such a home... always cool, nearly indestructible, and hidden from criminals etc. The only real tell would be where you park your cars.

This one is amazing. But I would tip it over and do side by side instead of vertical so it would go underground easier.
    Yeah, that space is awfully cramped as well.

There are some types of containers (called ultracubes, I think) that are 9.5' tall, allowing for higher ceilings. That is probably a must for underground housing.

I was thinking I would arrange them in a pinwheel type pattern with a large cavity in the center. I would then build up a greenhouse to cover that space. It would let light into the building AND allow me to grow stuff year round (not to mention that it would allow fruits that normally wouldn't grow in semi-arid, frostbitten west Texas).