Thread: Taxes taken out of paycheck

Taxes taken out of paycheck

I have a quick question, as well as a statement I guess.

I am done paying my taxes. I've been unemployed for over a year now (quit my part-time job when I transferred to a new University), but this summer I plan on finding a new job so I have some spending money next year. Thing is, I don't support our current government, and I will do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't take a dime from me.

Now for my question...Is it possible to refuse to have taxes taken out of your paycheck (ie: the social security tax, etc...)? At least with the Income Tax and Sales Tax, I can avoid paying them. Yet, the government puts it's hands into my pocket and takes money out of my paycheck before I even see a dime of it. Is it possible to stop them from doing this?

Frankly, I'm done with this government. I don't want anything from it, and I'm not going to give anything to it. I don't support the war(s), I don't support the foreign policies, I don't support the domestic policies, I don't support anything they do.

What is the easiest way I can go about retaining the fruit of my labor from tyrants? Am I stuck having those taxes taken out of my paycheck?

(Oh, by the way, nothing is more tyrannical than having someone, or something, taking my money before I even see it. To be blunt, it's slavery.)
    Last edited by Scofield; 03-25-2009 at 09:50 PM.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    - Samuel Adams

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

You could work as a private contractor- that leaves you liable for your own taxes instead of an employer taking them out for you. Or you could insist on only being paid in cash.

Tell your boss you'll work for $2 an hour (as an example).

Tell him the dollars have to be American Silver Eagles.

Your boss can give you a W2, but you won't have to file a tax return because your gross income won't reach the minimum.

If you decide to exchange the ASEs for FRNs, the capital gains on that profit will be solely on you to pay or not pay, at your own risk.

Bosso

Increase your withholdings. I did
    Gold is the money of kings, silver the money of gentlemen, barter the money of peasants and debt the money of slaves.

Scofield, I totally agree with you on your feelings toward this government. I haven't paid any income taxes for 2 years now. I do have a part time job as I need a little money. It's only barely enough to cover my expenses, and I put 6% into my 401k to get the match (which I also use on the Retirement Savings credit, known as the Savers credit, on my tax return, which has allowed me to drop my income tax liability to $ 0.) Normally my $ 12,000 in income would force me to pay $ 300 or so in tax, but that tax credit takes it all off and I even got a $ 55 earned income credit on top of paying no income tax.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about payroll taxes. All I can do is live as best I can for as cheap as I can, and not support the effing government. If I had anything leftover I would put it all into gold or silver, since any interest you make will be taxed as well. (Not to mention the devaluation of the dollar. Why have money in the bank earning 1% or less right now? Especially when the government is buying its own bonds now.)

Good luck my friend.

options:
    a. work and get paid in cash
    b. work as contractor responsible for own taxes
    c. witholdings increase them, so they take less out
    d. have people pay you in stuff (barter)

options b & c will most likely end you up in trouble with that wonderful organization called the IRS

Quote Originally Posted by SevenEyedJeff View Post
    Unfortunately I can't do anything about payroll taxes.
    Sure you can, file a IRS form 4852 along with your 1040 to claim a refund of the erroneous withholdings.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by s35wf View Post
    options:
    a. work and get paid in cash
    b. work as contractor responsible for own taxes
    c. witholdings increase them, so they take less out
    d. have people pay you in stuff (barter)

options b & c will most likely end you up in trouble with that wonderful organization called the IRS

c. will not end up in trouble. If you pay too little they'll try to add on penalties, and
    you'll owe taxes (of course). But with inflation coming, I increased my withholdings, which puts an extra $200 in my pocket. I'll put that towards silver, and wait for the tax bill, sell of some silver then pay the govt. off with cheap money. See how THEY like getting paid with $#@! dollars!
    Gold is the money of kings, silver the money of gentlemen, barter the money of peasants and debt the money of slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchPaul View Post
    c. will not end up in trouble. If you pay too little they'll try to add on penalties, and
    you'll owe taxes (of course). But with inflation coming, I increased my withholdings, which puts an extra $200 in my pocket. I'll put that towards silver, and wait for the tax bill, sell of some silver then pay the govt. off with cheap money. See how THEY like getting paid with $#@! dollars!

my aprx. 4500 debt with the irs is now 11K and counting, those penalties, fees, and interest GROW very quickly. im sunk.

I really like Bosso's idea (find an employer to pay you in silver; but good luck with that one)

can you set your withholding to $0? Then put the money that would normally be taken out into a savings account, then just pay the government April 15th?

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    can you set your withholding to $0? Then put the money that would normally be taken out into a savings account, then just pay the government April 15th?
    If you will owe more than $1000 then you're supposed to estimate your tax bill and pay it quarterly. The best thing to do other than not pay any taxes is to get your allowances adjusted to where you don't owe any money and they don't get to borrow your money interest free for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    No, if you owe too much at the end of the year they penalize you for it. And nothing stops the payroll tax withholdings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post

I am done paying my taxes. I've been unemployed for over a year now (quit my part-time job when I transferred to a new University), but this summer I plan on finding a new job so I have some spending money next year. Thing is, I don't support our current government, and I will do everything in my power to make sure it doesn't take a dime from me.

Now for my question...Is it possible to refuse to have taxes taken out of your paycheck (ie: the social security tax, etc...)? At least with the Income Tax and Sales Tax, I can avoid paying them. Yet, the government puts it's hands into my pocket and takes money out of my paycheck before I even see a dime of it. Is it possible to stop them from doing this?

Frankly, I'm done with this government. I don't want anything from it, and I'm not going to give anything to it. I don't support the war(s), I don't support the foreign policies, I don't support the domestic policies, I don't support anything they do.

What is the easiest way I can go about retaining the fruit of my labor from tyrants? Am I stuck having those taxes taken out of my paycheck?

(Oh, by the way, nothing is more tyrannical than having someone, or something, taking my money before I even see it. To be blunt, it's slavery.)

My interpretation for what its worth, Im no CPA, so I advise doing your own research:

If you sign a W-4, you volunteer to be responsible for the tax.

Let's examine W-4.

The title of the form identifies it as an "allowance" certificate. Its only purpose is as a permission-slip to ALLOW the non-governmental employer to withhold some money from the employee's compensation on behalf of government.

If you gather that ALLOWANCE implies a voluntary-act, you are correct!

If the form is voluntary for those outside governmental employment, then what of its content including the spot for a number? The submission of a W-4 form or any other alternative AND ITS CONTENTS is considered a voluntary act!

Common sense will dictate that one cannot demand on behalf of government: (1) a form signed under oath, with (2) a severe penalty of perjury jurat for non truth when (3) someone is simply exchanging labor for compensation and when (4) the person demanding is not an authorized withholding agent of government.

Am I on the mark with this? Perhaps not. Any CPA's or tax attorney's out there that can elaborate?

Please tell me if this is correct or incorrect.
    Last edited by PatriotG; 03-26-2009 at 11:36 AM.
    "Poverty of the state exchequer causes an army to be maintained by contributions from a distance. Contributing to maintain an army at a distance causes the people to be impoverished."
    Sun Tzu

Restore The Republic.Org

PokeTheEye.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotG View Post

Let's examine W-4.

The title of the form identifies it as an "allowance" certificate. Its only purpose is as a permission-slip to ALLOW the non-governmental employer to withhold some money from the employee's compensation on behalf of government.
    Signing a W-4 does not make one liable for the income tax. Signing a drivers license does not make you liable for traffic laws. It is the activity. ie. if you are walking down the street with someone, and you are the only one with a driver's license, that does not make you liable for traffic laws and your partner not. Neither of you are, because you are not participating in the activity that makes you liable for traffic law, driving. Same with taxes, you have to be participating in the activity that makes you liable.

W-4s are used by government employers too.

But it is generally misapplied by private companies.

See:

http://www.losthorizons.com/tax/Misu...ings/reply.htm

http://www.losthorizons.com/comment/tax_connections.htm
    Last edited by Danke; 03-26-2009 at 12:02 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotG View Post
    My interpretation for what its worth, Im no CPA, so I advise doing your own research:

Let's examine W-4.

If you gather that ALLOWANCE implies a voluntary-act, you are correct!

If the form is voluntary for those outside governmental employment, then what of its content including the spot for a number? The submission of a W-4 form or any other alternative AND ITS CONTENTS is considered a voluntary act!

Common sense will dictate that one cannot demand on behalf of government: (1) a form signed under oath, with (2) a severe penalty of perjury jurat for non truth when (3) someone is simply exchanging labor for compensation and when (4) the person demanding is not an authorized withholding agent of government.

Am I on the mark with this? Perhaps not. Any CPA's or tax attorney's out there that can elaborate?

Please tell me if this is correct or incorrect.

I'm neither, but I've done payroll for longer than I care to admit. THe IRS says that employer has to have a W4 on file for every employee. Nobody I've ever worked for would let you work past your first check if you started arguing that you didn't want to fill one out.

ETA: THe IRS says that if the employee does not fill one out, the employer must withhold at the "single claiming zero" rate.

And payroll taxes (FICA, Medicare) are withheld from everybody, with only the exception of emplyees who reach the salary cap on FICA.
    Last edited by angelatc; 03-26-2009 at 12:04 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    THe IRS says that employer has to have a W4 on file for every employee.
    That is true, look up the IRC definition of "Employer" and "Employee."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Nobody I've ever worked for would let you work past your first check if you started arguing that you didn't want to fill one out.
    That is because they are ignorant of the law.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

That is because they are ignorant of the law.
    No, it's because they have better things to do than piss up a rope.

Employer = hirer / firer

Employee = hiree / firee

Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post

If you can find an employer that won't have you fill out a W4 and won't give a W2, then you're practically home free.

No W4, no W2 and no 1040.

Oh, and don't put your earnings in a bank.
    "Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it." - Henry David Thoreau