Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNN Commentary: Legalize drugs to stop violence

But if you legalize hard drugs like meth, you might have a few crazies that get strung out and stay up for 2 weeks then go on a killing spree.
    I hear this argument a lot. Once upon a time speed was widely available. Real Methamphetamine was used to treat hyperactivity, Weight problems and was even used by the Military to keep commanders awake and alert. It has used. The war on Drugs cut the supply of quality speed and bathtub crank took it's place. that is the "Meth" known today.

The Meth problem was created by the war on drugs, Legalize drugs and the garbage drugs will go away.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I hear this argument a lot. Once upon a time speed was widely available. Real Methamphetamine was used to treat hyperactivity, Weight problems and was even used by the Military to keep commanders awake and alert. It has used. The war on Drugs cut the supply of quality speed and bathtub crank took it's place. that is the "Meth" known today.

The Meth problem was created by the war on drugs, Legalize drugs and the garbage drugs will go away.

100% truth

Most overdoses (heroin, for example) are also a direct result of the Drug War because users do not know the purity, and might get a more pure or tainted product unknowingly.

Many more people die from traffic accidents each year than all illegal drugs combined (marijuana = zero deaths in thousads of years of use). No one is calling for a ban on automobiles, yet these automobile deaths "tear families apart" just like drug use can.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by werdd View Post
    But if you legalize hard drugs like meth, you might have a few crazies that get strung out and stay up for 2 weeks then go on a killing spree.
    "But if you legalize automatic weapons like assault weapons, you might have a few crazies that go on a killing spree." See what I did there?

There will always be abuse. For that we have a judicial system. Use does not equal abuse.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 03-25-2009 at 10:31 AM.

This guy killed another guy he met on craigslist by stabbing him repeatedly with a knife.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c..._wabc_new.html

Knifes should be banned, as well as craigslist, though millions use both responsibly without killing anyone.

Anything that could remotely be dangerous should be banned, and users should be jailed for life.

This includes eating peanuts (some are allergic and could die!) water (you can drink too much water and die!) and stuffed animals (you could roll face down onto a stuffed animal during a nap and die!)

But then....the prohibition of these substances would probably cause a black market, cause ordinary citizens to become criminals to get their "fix" of peanuts, water, or stuffed animals, and be the ultimate cause for billions wasted in fighting these "crimes" and countless deaths when cartels and gangs take over the trade of the banned substances.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

I believe the Drug War will end once the War on Terror allows for the same trampling of our civil liberties.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    This includes eating peanuts (some are allergic and could die!) water (you can drink too much water and die!) and stuffed animals (you could roll face down onto a stuffed animal during a nap and die!)
    /me removes stuffed animals from bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuras View Post
    Wrong. Semantics aside, he uses the same "end justifies the means" throughout the entirety of the piece.
    Semantics are all that matters in this case. He's talking about reducing violence. You're talking about reducing crime. Two totally different things. You've committed the basic straw man logical fallacy and know you're trying to say your fallacy doesn't matter.

Here's the difference. He's not just saying legalizing drugs would get rid of the crime of drugs (as your false counter argument implies). He's saying legalizing drugs would get rid of the violence associated with drugs being illegal.

To further show why your analogy fails consider this. Say if he said "Legalize file sharing to stop violence". Well there is no violence associated with file sharing being illegal.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Isn't it absurd that they'll throw you in jail just for growing a harmless plant in your garden.

Legalization is the only way. The harder you try to stop people from buying what they want, the higher the price will go, which means more money going to dealers and more money they´ll spend on weapons and technology to supply the desired goods.
    Think about it: Someone IS profiting from this prohibition, it's just not us taxpayers.

"federal government doesnt have the right to tell us what drugs should be legal"

- Theocrat

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Semantics are all that matters in this case. He's talking about reducing violence. You're talking about reducing crime. Two totally different things. You've committed the basic straw man logical fallacy and know you're trying to say your fallacy doesn't matter.
    Try reading for comprehension. You might find that semantics has absolutely nothing to do with the posts I made. I was giving exaggerated and ridiculous scenarios to show that the same logic being used to rationalize legalizing drugs is ridiculous.

It's pretty ironic, you accusing me of a strawman with a strawman, though. I guess after you work on elementary reading comprehension you could buy a dictionary and put your new found skills to work.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cafferty picked up the piece to. The mess in Mexico being so obvioulsy caused by the United States means the war on drugs has to go one of two ways, way way bigger, or end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Uhh...what? How is it that raising taxes can be part of a "stimulus package that libertarians can endorse?"
    Carbon Taxes are taxes on pollution of other peoples property. Libertarians are generally pro Private Property. The people who most vocally oppose Global Warming are usually the most ardent adherent of anarcho-capitalism. Anarcho-Capitalism isn't real big on solutions to a general screwing up of the globe, thereofre Global Warming cannot exist. All the other libertarians are okay with fines for pollution.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Don't act like you speak for all libertarians.

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Carbon Taxes are taxes on pollution of other peoples property. Libertarians are generally pro Private Property. The people who most vocally oppose Global Warming are usually the most ardent adherent of anarcho-capitalism. Anarcho-Capitalism isn't real big on solutions to a general screwing up of the globe, thereofre Global Warming cannot exist. All the other libertarians are okay with fines for pollution.

Let's just repeal all laws, everything goes! Then we have no "crime" at all.
    why don't we then maybe we could actually see which ones are really necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12