Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illegal Immigration - How to respond?

Illegal Immigration - How to respond?

This is from my brother in law and I would like to hear how you would respond.

My Question is “How does he plan to handle the 12-20 million illegal immigrants currently within our borders?” This is the questions from my original email “What does Ron Paul suggest we do with the 12-20 million illegal immigrants?” Is that not specific enough?

Secure the border does nothing to 12-20 million illegal immigrants within our border. The birth right citizenship would affect the children of those 12-20 million illegal immigrants. But is doesn’t not answer my specific question. I am dumbfounded that you are not sure on what I am asking…. What to do with the current 12-20 million illegal immigrants currently within the borders.

The closest answer I found was from the last email you just sent me:

Second, enforce visa rules on those already in the country. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport individuals who overstay their visas or otherwise violate U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that some of the 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.

This means that his plan is to deport 12-20 million people. If you are talking about less government, this would take a lot of government to take on the task. Even if you hired a private firm to deport the 12-20 million people it would put us in more debt. Notwithstanding, this would be a nearly impossible task.

The bill in congress does address the issue of what to do with the 12-20 million illegal immigrants. What does Ron Paul suggest, if it is not the entire deportation of illegal immigrants?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Ok

I have heard this before and I suggest we do nothing. They will not get citizenship unless they go back and apply legally. We can not round up this many and ship them out. If they get arrested at any time for anything then we call immigration and they HAVE to come get them and start deportation proceedings.

An illegal can never get citizenship as he is a criminal. We start disallowing them to get free schooling and any other freebie that is meant for Citizens.

Get rid of Birthright citizenship as soon as possible. Citizens can begat citizens.

We increase the immigration officers and start right away going after any and all employers of illegals. I say we have task forces in different parts of the country and strike at them now and gain to keep them off balance. Hit some large employers and some smaller ones.Z

To dao that we have to be sure they have the means to verify the documents that are presented. Right now it takes 6 months or more to get verification and by then many are gone to the next employer. Get a system up that takes days to verify the documents.

No work or benefits and they will go back. If not then we find out why and adjust our attacks. (This is an invasion after all). Keep the pressure on and never let up.

Next we tell Mexico to get it's $#@! together and stop being so corrupt and take care of their own. We then start a sensible visa program if needed.

One more thing

Most have never heard of this and it has been a pet peeve of mine. I have tried all the Conservative talk hosts and even tried Ron Paul at one time and that is when he sent me (Staffer I am sure) a message saying his birtright issue.

It is called CHAIN MIGRATION. Please do a search as it is important and will show why we will be idiots to give any amnesty.

Chain Migration is the means that when someone becomes legal he is allowed to start sponsoring others to come here that become legal eventually. Historically it is about 4.5 for every new legal that comes here.

When Reagan gave the last amnesty and within ten years it was the same. Those 2-3 million soon became 10 million as they sponsored their family and friends. It even became an industry as some charged others to sponsor them.

As any can see if even the low figure of 10 million is used that withing 1o years or soon after we will have 50 million here.

I feel this country is large enough to absorb 10 and maybe even 15 million but can we absorb 50 plus million?

The US has been in Iraq for four years spent nearly a Trillion dollars and will probably have lost over 4000 American lives by the end of this year.

Think about getting out of Iraq and focusing those resources on protecting the US from invasion and deporting illegals. Think it could be done?

Ron Paul -

First, physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must have control over who enters our country before we even begin to consider complicated immigration reform proposals.

Second, enforce visa rules on those already in the country. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport individuals who overstay their visas or otherwise violate U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that some of the 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.

Third, reject amnesty. If we reward lawbreakers who enter this country illegally with citizenship, then any new laws Congress might pass likewise can be ignored. Reform must begin with a new mentality that immigration laws will be enforced.

Fourth, end welfare-state incentives for illegals. Americans are quick to welcome immigrants who simply wish to work hard and make a better life for themselves. But taxpayers cannot continue to pay when illegal immigrants use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.

Fifth, end birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the perverse incentive to sneak into this country remains strong. Citizenship involves more than the mere location of one’s birth.

Finally, completely overhaul the legal immigration process. The current system is incoherent and unfair. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.

I haven't read all his immigration articles yet but here are quite a few to get busy on -

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/topic.php?id=5

I imagine that once the free social services are cut off, visa rules enforced against employers and employees and birthright citizenship ended there will be a general movement back over the borders.

Guess what. There are families in Mexico that have been abandoned and now want the USA to ENFORCE ITS OWN LAWS. LOL

http://www.artcamp.com.mx/venga/

Lol

WE have to get this man elected somehow. He understands it seems.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by ChooseLiberty View Post
    Guess what. There are families in Mexico that have been abandoned and now want the USA to ENFORCE ITS OWN LAWS. LOL

http://www.artcamp.com.mx/venga/

It just reminded me that I read an article in Texas monthly about that part of Mexico and they were showing the jewelry and stuff and I was thinking how beautiful it was there. It was a great article.

Can Capitalism save Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I feel this country is large enough to absorb 10 and maybe even 15 million but can we absorb 50 plus million?
    Absolutely. We could even feasibly absorb the entire population of Earth right here in the CONUS. If government intervention in the economy is eliminated then they'll have to support themselves. The only way they can do this is by dealing with the natives who already possess the wealth. To do this they must learn the language, be productive, and not be criminals.

If they fail to learn the language they'll

•1) not find work from the natives.

or

•2) have to work for some immigrant who works for a native (just degrees of separation).

If they fail to be productive they'll

•1) not be hired by the natives.

or

•2) have to settle for low or no incomes.

If they fail to refrain from criminality they'll

•1) be arrested and not be hired by the natives.

or

•2) be deported or killed.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A sovereign nation has the right to control who comes into the country.

The first thing we must do is secure our borders, in order to stop the problem from escalating.

The second thing we must do is remove some of the incentives people have to come here:
    Get rid of the "anchor baby" clause.
    Get rid of the welfare state (not just for illegals, but also for US citizens and permanent residents).
    Deregulate the marketplace (lowering the overhead, so that "illegal" aliens no longer have a financial advantage over "legal" residents and citizens).

The goal should be to create a situation where we allow anyone without a criminal record to enter our country, but where all foreigners know that they must have the skills and knowledge to be able to find employment in the United States. If they can't make it, they may have to go back home, because there will be no such thing as a free lunch in the US.

I cannot blame people living in Central and South America for wanting to come here. I don't believe illegal aliens should require permits in order to work any more than I believe legal residents and citizens should require permits to work.

Did they commit a crime by entering the country illegally? Certainly, but I put them in the same group of "criminals" as people who smoke pot. They may have violated the law of the land, but they certainly did not violate the rights of any individuals. I see no reason to deport them, as long as they have not committed any violent crimes.

I do believe that anyone having entered the country illegally must be taken to the very back of the line if they want to become citizens, no matter how many years they've been here.
    You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.

Now RP is firing shots at Rudy's weaknesses on immigration! It's about time!

Ron Paul Campaign Questions Giuliani Immigration Record

Monroe, Ga. 6/1/2007 6:55 PM GMT (FINDITT)
    Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul has called into question the immigration record of former New York City mayor and current Republican presidential frontrunner Rudy Giuliani.

Paul’s campaign claims that Giuliani’s stance on immigration is out of touch with the American people. Noting that Giuliani filed a lawsuit while he was mayor to prevent city officials from arresting illegal immigrants, Paul’s campaign said “Rudy Giuliani is more like Ted Kennedy than Main Street America.”

Campaign chairman Kent Snyder was quoted as saying “When you compare Rudy Giuliani’s immigration record as a mayor to Congressman Ron Paul’s record as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives for 10 terms, the difference is clear.”

In contrast to Giuliani’s appeal for benefits, Social Security and medical care for illegal aliens Paul has adamantly defended his stance against illegal immigration. Congressman Ron Paul is vehemently against amnesty and has introduced legislation that would end birthright citizenship.

Paul and Giuliani highlighted the May 15 debate in South Carolina when the two exchanged barbs over foreign policy and the U.S. involvement in Iraq. Since that debate Paul has seen his campaign contributions nearly double and has become one of the most sought after presidential candidates for media events and interviews

www.finditt.com
    I hope RP or Tancredo can get the message out that Giuliani and McCain absolutely STINK on immigration. This is now THE hot topic on talk radio, and the peons are angry! RP needs to strike while the iron is hot!

I think something else you might want to ask him in return is for him to consider why, why now and suddenly is a move being made by our government to correct something that has been known as a problem for considerable time now? Tell him to really REALLY think about that question. (I can't stress enough how important it is to include this question as an answer to his own question to you).

I would further explain that everyone agrees mass deportation is not an answer. However, since this isn't a problem that occurred overnight, it also isn't a problem we should be attempting to correct overnight. Deportation should commence, with warning that laws WILL be enforced, and it will likely take a few years to reverse the trend of the previous years.

A new set of immigration laws will NOT fix our problem. I want proof that our government will enforce the laws we have now before we go making new laws that forgive the previous breaking of current unenforced laws. Especially since the proposal will continue to take money from Americans (a considerable amount at that).

I say we round them up and force them to work off the money that they have costed legal Americans. Then we deport them all back to their countries.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by JaylieWoW View Post
    I think something else you might want to ask him in return is for him to consider why, why now and suddenly is a move being made by our government to correct something that has been known as a problem for considerable time now? Tell him to really REALLY think about that question. (I can't stress enough how important it is to include this question as an answer to his own question to you).

I would further explain that everyone agrees mass deportation is not an answer. However, since this isn't a problem that occurred overnight, it also isn't a problem we should be attempting to correct overnight. Deportation should commence, with warning that laws WILL be enforced, and it will likely take a few years to reverse the trend of the previous years.

A new set of immigration laws will NOT fix our problem. I want proof that our government will enforce the laws we have now before we go making new laws that forgive the previous breaking of current unenforced laws. Especially since the proposal will continue to take money from Americans (a considerable amount at that).
    Jaylie. I think most of it has to do that the Immigration problem is now nationwide. In Texas here and the southwest we have been complaining and talking about it for years now and nothing has ever been done. We have seen this invasion for so many years and never expected to see anything done.

I drive all over the country and deliver to almost every state at one time and another and started seeing between 5 to 10 years ago more and more Hispanics working and at first they seemed to speak English well. The last 5 years now I have seen an explosion outside the Southwest. In the north and Northeast mostly but everywhere. All of a sudden in these last years I noticed most do not speak English at all and usually even the Foreman is Hispanic and barely speaks the language.

Also I have noticed that since the explosion outside the Texas/Southwest area that now the hue and cry has arisen. Guess we were believed before and when it comes to their jobs and security then something gets done finally.

I was glad that everyone woke up and that something was going to be done. The constitution has just a couple of things that the Feds are supposed to do and one of the main ones is to protect us from invasion and they failed us miserably. They have taken their eyes off the ball and gotten their fingers in everything except what their job actually is.

I should have known though that when our modern Government (both parties are to blame equally) got ahole of it though they would drop the ball. They are looking at potential votes and not doing what is the right thing.

So the rest of the country outside Texas and the Southwest welcome to our suffering we have been enjoying for all these years.

One thing other

I did want to clarify a tad what I posted last night. Coming into this country illegally is a crime and all but I was thinkingalong the lines on what the many illegals have to do to get "Legit" work. It is the fake and falsified documents needed to get a job. These have always been felonies and serious ones at that. If a U.S. citizen did what they did we would be arrested and jailed and probably thrown in prison besides a heavy fine. Most of the time it is stealing and identity of some law abiding citizen and the consequences to that person can be very hard. It will take a lot of money and effort and time to clear up the confusion.

There is no way anyone that commits this time of grief and fraud should be allowed any favorable treatment.

One of the things that really bugs me about illegals is the fact that they get free medical (by providing a fake id) at every emergency room in the country while health insurance rates keep climbing at way over the rate of inflation for law abiding tax paying citizens and employers have to drop or reduce coverage for their employees.

Hospitals don't even bother trying to collect from illegals, but if a citizen can't pay they may be forced into bankruptcy.

They have shut down hospitals and closed emergency rooms all over the Southwest due to the illegals (as Dr. Paul has mentioned). Wait until it starts happening in the Midwest and Northeast.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ChooseLiberty View Post
    One of the things that really bugs me about illegals is the fact that they get free medical (by providing a fake id) at every emergency room in the country while health insurance rates keep climbing at way over the rate of inflation for law abiding tax paying citizens and employers have to drop or reduce coverage for their employees.

Hospitals don't even bother trying to collect from illegals, but if a citizen can't pay they may be forced into bankruptcy.

They have shut down hospitals and closed emergency rooms all over the Southwest due to the illegals (as Dr. Paul has mentioned). Wait until it starts happening in the Midwest and Northeast.

I forgot this myself. A good friend of mine is an emergency room nurse and I had remarked on what happened to Jefferson Davis hospital. She said that it had been shut down for years now and mentioned that several others had also. I asked her why and she said that they could not make money and were losing so much that they had to shut down. I noticed that the hospitals were all in heavily Hispanic areas. Jeff Davis used to be the hospital that birthed more babies than any others.

I asked why hers was not in the same predicament and she said that most hospitals are now owned by huge conglomerates and hers had been retaken over several times by different huge companies. She mentioned that most of the patients were just using the emergency room as a physician and they had to have two Bilinguals on staff that spoke Spanish just in the emergency room.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Menlo Park hospital in Portland Oregon was shut down because of that. Ironic, they come here for free health care, and they are going to shut the healthcare system down. Wether or not they get amnesty.

Also my friend told me something that surprised me. Many come in and have minor things and actually come in to get free stuff. As an example she said mothers bring their babies in with diaper rash and want diapers and other things. I asked why did they just give the the stuff and she said they had to. Never asked why so maybe when I get back I will remember and ask her.

Of course I don't have to add that they need to try at least break even so the cost has to be passed along to someone and we all know how.

Aravoth I noticed now that even up there when I deliver to a wharehouse in the Northwest that it is Hispanics employed there also now.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I did want to clarify a tad what I posted last night. Coming into this country illegally is a crime and all but I was thinking along the lines on what the many illegals have to do to get "Legit" work. It is the fake and falsified documents needed to get a job. These have always been felonies and serious ones at that. If a U.S. citizen did what they did we would be arrested and jailed and probably thrown in prison besides a heavy fine. Most of the time it is stealing and identity of some law abiding citizen and the consequences to that person can be very hard. It will take a lot of money and effort and time to clear up the confusion.

There is no way anyone that commits this time of grief and fraud should be allowed any favorable treatment.
    Not only are the falsified documents a big problem, I'm sure it doesn't help to reduce the "identity theft" problem in the country. The black market works just like the legal market. If their demand goes down, they steal (produce) less fake IDs. Making it quick and easy to identify identity theft is important.

Jaylie. I think most of it has to do that the Immigration problem is now nationwide. In Texas here and the southwest we have been complaining and talking about it for years now and nothing has ever been done. We have seen this invasion for so many years and never expected to see anything done.
    It has been a significant and known problem in Alabama for a number of years now, I noticed and discussed it when I lived in an Apt. by myself at age 21-23, I'm now 37.

I still hold emphatically, that we can deport anyone who is here illegally. We just shouldn't expect nor want it to be fixed overnight for a variety of reasons. (Keep on asking yourself why, it's important to fix this now, think road construction, not political favor this time *wink*).

I think Ron's plan addresses each of the issues in the proper order. Any response from your brother yet?

Quote Originally Posted by zshallr View Post

[B][I]My Question is “How does he plan to handle the 12-20 million illegal immigrants currently within our borders?” This is the questions from my original email “What does Ron Paul suggest we do with the 12-20 million illegal immigrants?” Is that not specific enough?

There is no easy answer on how to solve the illegal immigrants currently in this country. First though, we need to stop the leak - and it is clear special interests are preventing the people from having their say - Ron Paul is the only candidate I trust to go against such a wealthy lobbyist power. He will secure the border and will support constitutional action to remove the incentive to gain illegal acces - including enforcing existing law against negligent employers, removal of federally funded benefits for illegals, and fighting for an amendment to correct the anchor-baby legislation resulting from poor judicial review.

What he won't do is give government more power to spy into the lives of private, law abiding citizens. He will not scare us into accepting a national ID and centralized database of our personal information. He will not overlook those caught illegally trying to gain free government services or breaking other laws.

It took decades to build this problem into what we see today and will take quite some time to get us out of it. Ron Paul is the only man I trust to finally put us in the right direction for progress.

My biggest fear with the wall is that it can also be used to keep people in.

I'd rather use economic force to drive them out. No services, no schools, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    There is no easy answer on how to solve the illegal immigrants currently in this country. First though, we need to stop the leak - and it is clear special interests are preventing the people from having their say - Ron Paul is the only candidate I trust to go against such a wealthy lobbyist power. He will secure the border and will support constitutional action to remove the incentive to gain illegal acces - including enforcing existing law against negligent employers, removal of federally funded benefits for illegals, and fighting for an amendment to correct the anchor-baby legislation resulting from poor judicial review.

What he won't do is give government more power to spy into the lives of private, law abiding citizens. He will not scare us into accepting a national ID and centralized database of our personal information. He will not overlook those caught illegally trying to gain free government services or breaking other laws.

It took decades to build this problem into what we see today and will take quite some time to get us out of it. Ron Paul is the only man I trust to finally put us in the right direction for progress.
    Great post. This is the basic argument that Lou Dobbs puts forth all the time. You cannot reform immigration if you cannot control immigration. And you cannot control immigration unless you can control our borders and ports. Any new legislation that ignores this basic logic is worthless.

How come common folks get it, but the elites in Washington still have no clue?? The only other candidates (of both parties) I trust on immigration other than Ron Paul are Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter (both have perfect records on immigration; Tancredo even wrote a book on the subject). Any of the big name candidates will only pay lip service to this issue in order to get votes, but they won't actually remedy the situation.

The elite have definitely have a clue - they've been paid to do exactly what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman2008 View Post
    Great post. This is the basic argument that Lou Dobbs puts forth all the time. You cannot reform immigration if you cannot control immigration. And you cannot control immigration unless you can control our borders and ports. Any new legislation that ignores this basic logic is worthless.

How come common folks get it, but the elites in Washington still have no clue?? The only other candidates (of both parties) I trust on immigration other than Ron Paul are Tom Tancredo and Duncan Hunter (both have perfect records on immigration; Tancredo even wrote a book on the subject). Any of the big name candidates will only pay lip service to this issue in order to get votes, but they won't actually remedy the situation.

Ending the Drug War would certainly help

It's usually dismissed when yoou attempt to make a connection between the Drug War and Illegal Immigration. But, from a classical economic point of view, I'm not sure how anyone can expect to resolve this issue until you have 1st World, viable economies built on legal trade below our southern border. Mexico's largest export, by far, is black market narcotics, by a factor of 4 over Oil. Their political economy is utterly corrupted by black market gangs. I've read polls where over 50% of the Mexican Population would rather live in the US. We've had over 30 years of a failed drug war--and currently have a 30 billion annual black market drug trade crossing our borders--to prove that a "War against Illegal Immigration" and supposedly "securing our borders" would be futile. In fact, the only thing it would likely accomplish is to "wall" them up over here, once they manage to break across.

Dr. Paul is for ending the Drug War. I'm not saying ending the Drug War is a sufficeint condition to solve the "immigration issue," but it's a necessary condition.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The corruption was there long before drugs were the thing to get into and will be way after.

The best thing to come of stopping the illegal immigration and not giving amnesty is it will help the people to rise up and make their politicians accountable.

Mexico is a beautiful country with more natural resources than most countries. Their people are hard workers and have a strong ethics that anyone would admire. Very familay oriented and only want a better future for themselves and their families. It is too bad that their government is so corrupt. They have had revolutions in the past but whoever takes over is just the same old boss's.

The money that illegals send back home helps to support the corruption that is rampant. It allows the government there to continue to do business the same way. If we forced the issue then they may protest us but so what? Eventually something will have to give and it will not be us. Ron Paul and us talk about getting our own house in order and I say it is time for others to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by zshallr View Post

My Question is “How does he plan to handle the 12-20 million illegal immigrants currently within our borders?” This is the questions from my original email “What does Ron Paul suggest we do with the 12-20 million illegal immigrants?” Is that not specific enough?

Secure the border does nothing to 12-20 million illegal immigrants within our border. The birth right citizenship would affect the children of those 12-20 million illegal immigrants. But is doesn’t not answer my specific question. I am dumbfounded that you are not sure on what I am asking…. What to do with the current 12-20 million illegal immigrants currently within the borders.

The closest answer I found was from the last email you just sent me:

This means that his plan is to deport 12-20 million people. If you are talking about less government, this would take a lot of government to take on the task. Even if you hired a private firm to deport the 12-20 million people it would put us in more debt. Notwithstanding, this would be a nearly impossible task.

The bill in congress does address the issue of what to do with the 12-20 million illegal immigrants. What does Ron Paul suggest, if it is not the entire deportation of illegal immigrants?

This is a very COMMON and goofy argument by the supporters of illegal immigration or any type of non-amnesty.

When you win a war, do you have to kill every soldier? When you eat a meal, do you have to eat everything on the plate to be full? These are off the wall analogies but what they show is that the intention is NOT to deport all of them. The idea is to instantiate enough of the law so that an example is set.

For instance. If you enforce work hiring and instill STEEP FINES. If you build the wall and enforce all the LAWS that are currently in the books, you will only have to actually deport a small fraction before the others will leave and even fewer will ever attempt to come back. Its simple. Stop offering welfare and social services/benefits etc.. Stop all of that. And they will leave. ALso, put a stop to big business hiring slave labour and stop paying CEO's millions and millions and millions of dollars. Add a few bucks an hour and hire an American! Simple. Greed is really tearing us apart. All the politicians are in someones pocket to a great degree.

For instance, if you give work incentives they find that worker performance goes up. Do you have to give a raise, no? Just instantiate the incentives and then the rest will fall into place.

Watch the news.... you will see the "same" faces on who is the frontrunners.... America needs to wake up and stop accepting the choices that are put in front of our faces... everyone that is EVER in our face area all the same. Schills for big business and special interests.....

What the supporters of illegal immigration make you believe is that you either have to deport ALL 20million or else you will fail and its not worth doing.. That is completely FALSE and shows how weak their argument is.
    Last edited by Lord Xar; 06-24-2007 at 03:12 PM.

There's a new guy that needs some information on Dr. Paul and immigration, if anyone is especially versed in that area.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4227

Heard a new catch phrase for the pending immigration bill -

The No Illegal Immigrant Left Behind Act.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion."
    - Thomas Jefferson

WATCH: The Money Masters - How International Bankers Gained Control of America

READ: Tragedy and Hope: A History of The World in Our Time - Carroll Quigley

Ron Paul is going to talk about Illegal Immigration in about 20 minutes on the Terry Anderson Show.

http://www.theterryandersonshow.com/

Why nothing will be done until you ask for THEIR solution

My apologies for the rant.

How to respond to querys on the issue of immigration as it pertains to the campaign, I feel we can quote Ron's own words with confidence:

The Immigration Question

April 3, 2006

The recent immigration protests in Los Angeles have brought the issue to the forefront, provoking strong reactions from millions of Americans. The protesters’ cause of open borders is not well served when they drape themselves in Mexican flags and chant slogans in Spanish. If anything, their protests underscore the Balkanization of America caused by widespread illegal immigration. How much longer can we maintain huge unassimilated subgroups within America, filled with millions of people who don’t speak English or participate fully in American life? Americans finally have decided the status quo is unacceptable, and immigration may be the issue that decides the 2008 presidential election.

We’re often reminded that America is a nation of immigrants, implying that we’re coldhearted to restrict immigration in any way. But the new Americans reaching our shores in the late 1800s and early 1900s were legal immigrants. In many cases they had no chance of returning home again. They maintained their various ethnic and cultural identities, but they also learned English and embraced their new nationality.

Today, the overwhelming majority of Americans- including immigrants- want immigration reduced, not expanded. The economic, cultural, and political situation was very different 100 years ago.

We’re often told that immigrants do the jobs Americans won’t do, and sometimes this is true. But in many instances illegal immigrants simply increase the supply of labor in a community, which lowers wages. And while cheap labor certainly benefits the economy as a whole, when calculating the true cost of illegal immigration we must include the cost of social services that many new immigrants consume- especially medical care.

We must reject amnesty for illegal immigrants in any form. We cannot continue to reward lawbreakers and expect things to get better. If we reward millions who came here illegally, surely millions more will follow suit. Ten years from now we will be in the same position, with a whole new generation of lawbreakers seeking amnesty.

Amnesty also insults legal immigrants, who face years of paperwork and long waits to earn precious American citizenship.
    Birthright citizenship similarly rewards lawbreaking, and must be stopped. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the perverse incentive to sneak into this country remains strong. Citizenship involves more than the mere location of one’s birth. True citizenship requires cultural connections and an allegiance to the United States. Americans are happy to welcome those who wish to come here and build a better life for themselves, but we rightfully expect immigrants to show loyalty and attempt to assimilate themselves culturally. Birthright citizenship sometimes confers the benefits of being American on people who do not truly embrace America.

We need to allocate far more resources, both in terms of money and manpower, to securing our borders and coastlines here at home. This is the most critical task before us, both in terms of immigration problems and the threat of foreign terrorists. Unless and until we secure our borders, illegal immigration and the problems associated with it will only increase.

From his own website - found HERE:

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst040306.htm

(His website is a great tool for spreading info)
    Last edited by AZ Libertarian; 06-30-2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: focusing on the campaign :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast