Thread: Common Objections, and Rebuttals

Common Objections, and Rebuttals

I think we all have common objections that we get from people when introducing Ron Paul to people who have never heard of him. We also get objections from people who know exactly who he is, and want us to explain his rationale behind some his positions. I couldn't find a thread on this, so am going to start one.

Please list the common objections you get, and how you answer them. Maybe we can help each other out when these objections come up in the future, I'll start.

--

He can't win based on poll numbers

I try to tell them a few things, like John Kerry was at 4% a month before the primaries and managed to win. Also explain to them that pollsters call only registered Republicans who voted in the last election, something that doesn't reach Ron Paul supporters. And that they sometimes only give options of the most well known candidates, and list people they don't want to win in an "other" category.

Besides, voting is for who you want to win. Not who you think is going to win. And if enough people support Ron Paul, people will take notice and start adopting his policy ideas. If everyone only voted for the same type of media-hyped "top tier" candidates, we're going to keep getting the same type of government we have now.

--

He wants to remove the dept. of education

He's not anti-education. He just doesn't want there to be a federal dept. of education. Some rural area out in Kansas does not need the same standards as New York City. States and local communities know their own needs, and education should be left up to them. When you have these arbitrary federal standardized tests, teachers spend all their time teaching students how to score well on standardized tests.

--

He's a Republican? (mostly for my more Liberal friends)

Yeah, but wouldn't you rather have him than Rudy or Romney? I mean wouldn't you agree he's the best Republican? You should support him, cause I know for sure you don't want Rudy to win, he'll be worse than Bush.

I tell them they can vote for whoever they want in the general election, but for the primaries, it's important to vote for Ron Paul, to keep the neocons out.

--

If he doesn't support universal health care, how would we help poor people who need health care?

Americans are very generous. If all Americans made 30% more money, cause they paid less taxes, I'm sure many will donate and create privately run charity hospitals. (I also tell them Ron Paul worked for $3 an hour when he was a medical student/resident in a church run charity hospital).

They won't get the absolute top notch best health care, but we have to be realistic. Creating a government run system that gives everybody the best health care possible will bankrupt our country. If you look at other places like Canada, people die on waiting lists, or fly to the US to get care. We don't want that.

--

He's Pro-Life

Yeah, he is. He's also against the death penalty. He thinks all life is sacred. When he was delivering babies as on OBGYN, he looked at the issue, that he would get paid if he killed the baby 1 second before birth, but he would go to jail if he killed the baby 1 second after birth.

--

He's never done anything in congress

Yeah, but most things ever "achieved" by congress cause more pork, more spending, more taxes, more regulation. Plus I would say nearly all of it is unconstitutional anyway. If you have a guy who advocates small government, you don't want him to create more government programs, or to increase government spending.

--

Anyway those are the biggest objections I come across, and the way I handle them. I would love to hear your input on your biggest objections, and especially what you say. If you have different answers to the objections I get, I would love to hear that too. =)
    Support the Troops. End the War.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    he is against the National ID card.... most people do not even know what that is! I have won over a few people with talking about the national id card.

nice post

He's an Isolationist, which I retort with only with our military and not our goods or our money.

He's by far the most free trade market man.

My family is objecting because "his grassroots people are loony anti semites and anarchist"

After seeing so many posts here I have to agree their are some really vocal loons, but at the same time there are well thought out people from many backgrounds and RP can be a real uniter as well.

I have them convinced for the most part on RP as a person and prinicple, but they wish to see from HIM his plan to transition from now to the best way.

He's against Universal Health Care:

Just bring up the issue about the Federal Reseve and inflation and how printing money has caused prices on everything to go up, including health care, homes, college tuition, private school tuition etc.

You can avoid all of these objections if you go to my thread "how i have been converting neo-cons" and use my argument there.

Quote Originally Posted by theseus51 View Post
    I think we all have common objections that we get from people when introducing Ron Paul to people who have never heard of him. We also get objections from people who know exactly who he is, and want us to explain his rationale behind some his positions. I couldn't find a thread on this, so am going to start one.

Please list the common objections you get, and how you answer them. Maybe we can help each other out when these objections come up in the future, I'll start.

--

He can't win based on poll numbers

I try to tell them a few things, like John Kerry was at 4% a month before the primaries and managed to win. Also explain to them that pollsters call only registered Republicans who voted in the last election, something that doesn't reach Ron Paul supporters. And that they sometimes only give options of the most well known candidates, and list people they don't want to win in an "other" category.

Besides, voting is for who you want to win. Not who you think is going to win. And if enough people support Ron Paul, people will take notice and start adopting his policy ideas. If everyone only voted for the same type of media-hyped "top tier" candidates, we're going to keep getting the same type of government we have now.

--

He wants to remove the dept. of education

He's not anti-education. He just doesn't want there to be a federal dept. of education. Some rural area out in Kansas does not need the same standards as New York City. States and local communities know their own needs, and education should be left up to them. When you have these arbitrary federal standardized tests, teachers spend all their time teaching students how to score well on standardized tests.

--

He's a Republican? (mostly for my more Liberal friends)

Yeah, but wouldn't you rather have him than Rudy or Romney? I mean wouldn't you agree he's the best Republican? You should support him, cause I know for sure you don't want Rudy to win, he'll be worse than Bush.

I tell them they can vote for whoever they want in the general election, but for the primaries, it's important to vote for Ron Paul, to keep the neocons out.

--

If he doesn't support universal health care, how would we help poor people who need health care?

Americans are very generous. If all Americans made 30% more money, cause they paid less taxes, I'm sure many will donate and create privately run charity hospitals. (I also tell them Ron Paul worked for $3 an hour when he was a medical student/resident in a church run charity hospital).

They won't get the absolute top notch best health care, but we have to be realistic. Creating a government run system that gives everybody the best health care possible will bankrupt our country. If you look at other places like Canada, people die on waiting lists, or fly to the US to get care. We don't want that.

--

He's Pro-Life

Yeah, he is. He's also against the death penalty. He thinks all life is sacred. When he was delivering babies as on OBGYN, he looked at the issue, that he would get paid if he killed the baby 1 second before birth, but he would go to jail if he killed the baby 1 second after birth.

--

He's never done anything in congress

Yeah, but most things ever "achieved" by congress cause more pork, more spending, more taxes, more regulation. Plus I would say nearly all of it is unconstitutional anyway. If you have a guy who advocates small government, you don't want him to create more government programs, or to increase government spending.

--

Anyway those are the biggest objections I come across, and the way I handle them. I would love to hear your input on your biggest objections, and especially what you say. If you have different answers to the objections I get, I would love to hear that too. =)

Quote Originally Posted by theseus51 View Post
    He's Pro-Life

No. He's pro-constitution on the abortion issue.

The federal government has no authority to legislate on abortion. It's a state power per the 10th Amendment. Also, if pro-choice movement accepts the fact that the Supreme Court can mandate abortion-on-demand be made legal in all states, then they've loosed the genie from the bottle that allows the exact opposite to be true as well (that the USSC can make it illegal in all states). The best solution to the problem then is to cut the federal government out of the discussion and let the states decide for themselves.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    My family is objecting because "his grassroots people are loony anti semites and anarchist"

After seeing so many posts here I have to agree their are some really vocal loons, but at the same time there are well thought out people from many backgrounds and RP can be a real uniter as well.

I have them convinced for the most part on RP as a person and prinicple, but they wish to see from HIM his plan to transition from now to the best way.
    Show them the flier in the thread about converting neo-cons. It's on this forum somewhere. Trust me, they cannot argue against dollar collapse. All other politicians only exacerbate this problem.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The states have history of legislating inequality, and you have many states who cannot -- for economic reasons -- meet a reasonable quality of education for their residents. Do you really want students from California having a leg up over students from Missouri? That's a quick way to institutionalize a second-class society."

"No Child Left Behind is a terrible piece of legislation. But that doesn't mean that federalized education is a bad idea."

I noticed that a common misconception about the Department of Education is that it provides funding, so getting rid of the department would undermine "poor" states. False. The department does very little funding. The States do almost all funding for education. Getting rid of the department would get rid of the racist No Child Left Behind program. That would appeal to Democrats the most, because most of them oppose the racist No Child Left Behind program.

There is no significant economic differences between the States.

The States also do select what to teach our children, not the Federal. Federal education is very corrupt.

That also applies to socialized healthcare.
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGood; 10-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.

My uncle cracked me up. He said:

"I'd rather register as a child molester than register republican."

"He's too ideological-- he doesn't have any pragmatic plans that worked in congress or will work as president."

Help me with this one.^
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

"All the Democrats are anti-Iraq-war" -- http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8RTI22O0.html

"Libertarianism is too extreme" -- Conservative should be more extreme because it restrict personal freedom

"He opposes affirmative action" -- While Ron Paul opposes affirmative action just like most other Republicans elected previously, will he have the power to eliminate equal opportunity? Why is affirmative action not eliminated by Bush? With our continuing immigration, it is unlikely.

"these people know they cannot dismantle the New Deal welfare state"
    The Great Depression is caused by the Federal Reserve System, not because of lack of government regulation.

"the recent Ron Paul appearance on Tucker Carlson's MSNBC program where Ron Paul advocated eliminating FEMA.

Dr. Paul felt that those who lost infrastructure and property during Hurricane Katrina (because of the nonexistence federal response to levee upkeep and citizen assistance in the Gulf Coast region) should not expect federal government assistance to recoup their lost wealth and property." -- http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul275.html http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul305.html
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGood; 10-02-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEdwards View Post
    My uncle cracked me up. He said:

"I'd rather register as a child molester than register republican."
    I tell the unconvertable (as far as registration) to donate some money to the campaign if they aren't comfortable changing registration (I live in Oregon, our primary is in May, so I'm not as worried about getting registrations changed).

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    "He's too ideological-- he doesn't have any pragmatic plans that worked in congress or will work as president."

Help me with this one.^
    Also an issue I've had before.

But, mainly, I'm having trouble creating a user-friendly counter-argument to "Ron Paul's philosophy is '$#@! the poor'" I understand the general idea behind Paul's philosophy, but it's much easier to win over with the idea of throwing money at a person through universal 'healthcare' and rather absurd amounts of welfare, so competing for attention and affection is often lost here. Is there any way to explain Paul's position on essentially helping those in need, because "private charity" sounds all well and good but it's not at all specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
    But, mainly, I'm having trouble creating a user-friendly counter-argument to "Ron Paul's philosophy is '$#@! the poor'" I understand the general idea behind Paul's philosophy, but it's much easier to win over with the idea of throwing money at a person through universal 'healthcare' and rather absurd amounts of welfare, so competing for attention and affection is often lost here. Is there any way to explain Paul's position on essentially helping those in need, because "private charity" sounds all well and good but it's not at all specific.
    Ron Paul will get corporations off gov't welfare, which feed off the money of the working class. He'll also get rid of the inflation tax. By going back to the gold standard, he'll make it so that saving your money is actually a good thing (right now, money in the bank will just continue to devalue). Ron Paul is actively trying to make it so that anyone in the service industry who receives tips doesn't have to pay any taxes on those tips at all. Not to mention, the lower and middle classes will immediately get a 30% raise on their yearly salary by getting rid of the IRS. Getting rid of the Fed will mean that poorer people will not be muzzled by the government and refused loans when trying to purchase homes for themselves. Poor people are undoubtedly the most hurt by our broken Social Security system, and Ron Paul wants to fix that. Healthcare is prohibitively expensive because the FDA is basically bought off by big companies to keep only name-brands on the shelf and keep out new technologies that Europe has been using for years - he'd change that and make healthcare affordable and diverse again. Poor people are the most criminalized when it comes to drug prohibition, and Ron Paul would end the drug war which is really a war on poor America. These are just a few of the ways that are coming to mind right now in which poor people will be directly helped by a RP administration!