Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RPF veterans...what was it like in the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by tkubic46 View Post
    I guess the harcore are still around, but the casual people splintered off after the primary. We need to continue what we are doing, build an infastructure, create coalitions and alliances, and have another go in 2012!!!!
    Well, there's plenty of hardcore that aren't here too. I'm hoping they come back at some point when there's really some things that we are actively doing.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had been following the writings and speeches of Ron Paul for years, gave out dozens of copies of his House Special Orders "Neo-Conned" speech, being one of his best, imo.

When we met up with him at Strafford Co. NH GOP straw poll in July IRC, (which he won in a landslide) Mrs. AF and I decided to jump into "politics" one more time, renouncing our "political" agnosticism.

It was not too long after that I joined up here.

The heated debate over the choice of 5 November for the first big "money bomb" (which I, and many others, thought was a great idea, much to consternation of panty wetters and hanky wringers) was a big moment and the success of it was an even greater thrill.

The efforts made to make the 16th an even bigger success was the high point for me.

My cynicism toward the system returned, in full full force, after the NH results and even more so after witnessing, firsthand, some of the "chicanery" surrounding the recount.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I loved this forum early on. I actually think people were more tolerant when the forum had such a huge number of visitors on a regular basis. I can't say I have a whole lot in common with a lot of the regular posters here, but in the early days before the Iowa caucus it didn't matter. It was a big tent and there was room for all kinds of conservatives, even "truthers" and paleoconservatives. I don't see so many of those around here anymore, but maybe someday the vibe will be back. It was more like the wild west early on where now I think the rigid ideologues more or less set the tone.

But maybe things will start to pick up by the next elections. It should be time for conservative Republicans to start making a comeback, but I'm tired of being letdown so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I had been following the writings and speeches of Ron Paul for years, gave out dozens of copies of his House Special Orders "Neo-Conned" speech, being one of his best, imo.

When we met up with him at Strafford Co. NH GOP straw poll in July IRC, (which he won in a landslide) Mrs. AF and I decided to jump into "politics" one more time, renouncing our "political" agnosticism.

The heated debate over the choice of 5 November for the first big "money bomb" (which I, and many others, thought was a great idea, much to consternation of panty wetters and hanky wringers) was a big moment and the success of it was an even greater thrill.

The efforts made to make the 16th an even bigger success was the high point for me.

My cynicism toward the system returned, in full full force, after the NH results and even more so after witnessing, firsthand, some of the "chicanery" surrounding the recount.
    Vintage AF

Well, let’s see, first the earth cooled. Then the dinosaurs came, but they all got to big and fat. So they all died. And they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benz’s...

https://youtu.be/MabLtuTpDw8
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Suffice to say, sadly, almost ten years after writing that, my cynicism has not abated.

What do RPF veterans think now, 10 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    What do RPF veterans think now, 10 years later?
    My thinking has not changed much about things in general, but I found out Ron was very wrong about a critical and vital idea that his whole candidacy and this movement based itself on.

Freedom is NOT popular.

My thinking has not changed much about things in general, but I found out Ron was very wrong about a critical and vital idea that his whole candidacy and this movement based itself on.

Freedom is NOT popular.
    Too true.

But Ron Paul often talked about something else: The Remnant. Originally a concept discussed by Albert Jay Nock, it refers to the small group of people who keep the spark of the ideas Liberty and human progress alive. This is the only thing that gives me hope in the current environment. I never would have dreamed 10 years ago about the bitter divisions and the evil embrace of authoritarianism that have come about.

From an essay by Lew Rockwell from 2012:

...Once in a while we hear Ron Paul speak of the Remnant — how he's been trying to find it, speak to it, build it up. What does he mean by it?

He's referring to "Isaiah's Job," a famous essay by Albert Jay Nock. In that essay, Nock borrowed the example of the prophet Isaiah to describe the task of the honest man in public life. (I think the example of Elijah is a bit closer to what Nock had in mind, but that's not the point.)
    Listen as Nock adapts the Lord's instructions to Isaiah into a modern vernacular:

“Tell them what is wrong, and why and what is going to happen unless they have a change of heart and straighten up. Don’t mince matters. Make it clear that they are positively down to their last chance. Give it to them good and strong and keep on giving it to them. I suppose perhaps I ought to tell you,” He added, “that it won’t do any good. The official class and their intelligentsia will turn up their noses at you and the masses will not even listen. They will all keep on in their own ways until they carry everything down to destruction, and you will probably be lucky if you get out with your life.”

Isaiah had not been reluctant to take on his divinely appointed task, but when it was put to him like that, it seemed like a fruitless task indeed. What was the point of embarking on a mission that was doomed to failure?

“Ah,” the Lord said, “you do not get the point. There is a Remnant there that you know nothing about. They are obscure, unorganized, inarticulate, each one rubbing along as best he can. They need to be encouraged and braced up because when everything has gone completely to the dogs, they are the ones who will come back and build up a new society; and meanwhile, your preaching will reassure them and keep them hanging on. Your job is to take care of the Remnant, so be off now and set about it.”

And that's what Dr. Paul has been doing. He's been looking for this heretofore invisible Remnant, giving them comfort, making them aware of themselves, providing them a rallying point. Selling out for the sake of mainstream respectability would defeat his purpose entirely. Those approaches repel the Remnant, Nock said. On the other hand, the truth teller who appeals to the Remnant will find them...
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/06/...on-pauls-task/
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    individual growth > group "wins" was the vibe and encouraged

Member of the 2007 walk away movement, after the Ron vs Rudy "I was there on 9-11" Giuliani & msm tag team debate moment.

Not much for walk aways 10 years on. (that I can tell)
    And these days, a Giuliani appointment is excused as a 47d chess move.

NOBP
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 09-15-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Freedom is NOT popular.
    The people have been led away from freedom, they can be led back to it but we need to understand how to lead them in order to do so, Trump is a good but not quite perfect template.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

I am thinking that freedom is not as popular as the Good Dr. and I had hoped , but I will continue to exercise mine and lead by example .
    Do something Danke

Freedom is NOT popular.
    Bingo. Give the man a cigar.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    Too true.

But Ron Paul often talked about something else: The Remnant. Originally a concept discussed by Albert Jay Nock, it refers to the small group of people who keep the spark of the ideas Liberty and human progress alive. This is the only thing that gives me hope in the current environment. I never would have dreamed 10 years ago about the bitter divisions and the evil embrace of authoritarianism that have come about.

From an essay by Lew Rockwell from 2012:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2012/06/...on-pauls-task/

We are the remnant.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    We are the remnant.
    Humans are fickle things.

I think Ron Paul was right. Freedom was popular... however seeing that logic and reason often give way to charlatans selling fear and emotion... when Ron Paul was kicked to the wayside, many let their emotions turn to anger, and Trump was swept into office.

I still hold that Tytler's Cycle of Democracies holds true. There isn't much this country can do to avoid the pain that's coming. Ron Paul could've post-poned things a little, Trump may do the same. In the end I think it will result in positive change. We will have some serious hard times ahead, but humans have always met the challenge. Let us hope we are still able to do so. What this country needs is more strong hard men, and you know what they say... hard times create strong men. We can be thankful, in a way, for the coming hard times.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Humans are fickle things.

I think Ron Paul was right. Freedom was popular... however seeing that logic and reason often give way to charlatans selling fear and emotion... when Ron Paul was kicked to the wayside, many let their emotions turn to anger, and Trump was swept into office.

I still hold that Tytler's Cycle of Democracies holds true. There isn't much this country can do to avoid the pain that's coming. Ron Paul could've post-poned things a little, Trump may do the same. In the end I think it will result in positive change. We will have some serious hard times ahead, but humans have always met the challenge. Let us hope we are still able to do so. What this country needs is more strong hard men, and you know what they say... hard times create strong men. We can be thankful, in a way, for the coming hard times.
    As things stand at the moment, there will be no correction without bloodshed, possibly lots of it. The "left" shows no inclination to reason, respect, and backing off from their march of incursion into the territories of free men, but only to raw emotion, bitter envy, hate, and increasing the pace of advance. That leaves those upon whom they seek to trample with a choice: lay down or fight. I for one have no intentions of laying down.

Tytler's cycle needs to be amended to include "kill the bastards".

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    We are the remnant.
    Some of us. Others have been co-opted by Authoritarians.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

One of the coolest things was the true diversity of thought and that we could all get along and get behind the Ron Paul movement. I mean, we had pro choicers working side by side with pro-lifers, strictly religious tee-totalers being friends with people who had ingested or injected God knows what into their bodies. I mean there was some jostling around and some discussions, but the bottom line was we were all committed to something, and we knew it was bigger than our differences.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    One of the coolest things was the true diversity of thought and that we could all get along and get behind the Ron Paul movement. I mean, we had pro choicers working side by side with pro-lifers, strictly religious tee-totalers being friends with people who had ingested or injected God knows what into their bodies. I mean there was some jostling around and some discussions, but the bottom line was we were all committed to something, and we knew it was bigger than our differences.
    That was refreshing.

It breaks my heart to see some of those same people now marching in the streets calling for, what amounts to, my extermination.

That was refreshing.

It breaks my heart to see some of those same people now marching in the streets calling for, what amounts to, my extermination.

And for my part, it breaks MY heart to see at least one of "those same people," on this very board, calling for me and people like me to be thrown from helicopters. Can't make an omelette ... I guess.

ETA: The person in question deliberately mislabels anyone who disagrees with him, particularly on immigration, as a communist and frequently opines that here in the US communists should be thrown from helicopters. Very few ever call him out on it. Just sayin.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 10-19-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    And for my part, it breaks MY heart to see at least one of "those same people," on this very board, calling for me and people like me to be thrown from helicopters. Can't make an omelette ... I guess.

ETA: The person in question deliberately mislabels anyone who disagrees with him, particularly on immigration, as a communist and frequently opines that here in the US communists should be thrown from helicopters. Very few ever call him out on it. Just sayin.
    In spite of a few heated remarks thrown my way, I haven't had that happen to me here.

I'm thinking the "Occupy" crowd, that some of tried to reach out to.

I've corrected both sides on this.

In spite of a few heated remarks thrown my way, I haven't had that happen to me here.

I'm thinking the "Occupy" crowd, that some of tried to reach out to.

I've corrected both sides on this.

Was more using your comment as a springboard than actually directing my comments at you. But it's obvious to me that all sides have their insane, bloodthirsty assclowns and failing to hold those on one's own side accountable for that kind of idiocy amounts to, or at least appears to be, tacit approval. I haven't seen you call the moron in question out on this, but I have no difficulty believing that you would if you saw him doing it.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post

"The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

ROTFL!

I'd +rep you if I could.
    Chris

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Guys, I think Abe Hamadeh is now Attorney General of Arizona??? How amazing is that!!!!!! He was just a young activist on here back in the day stumping for Ron. So psyched for him!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Guys, I think Abe Hamadeh is now Attorney General of Arizona??? How amazing is that!!!!!! He was just a young activist on here back in the day stumping for Ron. So psyched for him!!!!
    Brett Fairchild is a state rep in KS. He has been for a while, but also won his re-election. He is a member here.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    @Cowlesy

Good to see you.

Is it the same guy?

There was a Hamadeh here, but a quick search notes all his posts scrubbed and no such username.

If so, good for him.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Freedom is NOT popular.
    I have become jaded to the term freedom. You are right, people don’t want real freedom. They only want their perception of freedom. I find whether the topic is marjuana legalization, gay marriage, the borders, second amendment (well, all the amendments), religion, heck doesn’t matter… To me real freedom is living my life my way and lettering others live theirs. Infringement of anyones freedom within the boundaries of acceptable law is the only thing of concern. People don’t want to accept that.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast