Thread: Orwell's 1984

Orwell's 1984

Just finished reading it today. Made me feel very sad and depressed. Orwell suggested this type of government as a possibility. Do you think it will eventually come and when do you think? Or we could just discuss the book in general.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think of it as as much of a possibility.
    With the internet, knowing who are at war with, and different countries doing different things it makes
    it harder to occur.

How much of the book is the same as the movie?

It is certainly looking that way. Unless the real patriots and defenders of this country step their game up and do SOMETHING bout the way things are going, then I can definitely see it happening within 100 years or less even. The sad thing is that alot americans seem to agree with this type of fascist government as if they are brainwashed or something, it is like they are completely oblivious to the ideals that this entire country was founded upon.

I mean I see $#@! that reinforces that opinion every day. Just today some older lady, normal mom who you would think could be a great American, she said "Those Iraqi's should be proud to die for our American flag and what we stand for!" ... erm... riiiight...

I was mesmerised by that book when I first read it, and I still regularly write essays about it.

If you liked it, I suggest reading "Brave New World" as well. If you combine certain elements from both books, you can paint a pretty clear picture for a possible future.

Both books look at possible outcomes of society and take them to the most extreme levels they can. There's a good chance that things will never be as bad as the books, but as my teacher once told me, "Sometimes you have to describe something in the most extreme way to drive the message home."

It's already here in many ways.

Certainly we have doublethink, and newspeak is being phased in.
    Just think: "The Patriot Act"

We have perpetual war against an undefined target that routinely changes. Fighting "terrorism", and the battlefield changes between Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.
    We fight for peace.

We have our two minutes of hate against Osama Bin Laden.

We have a big brother (Obama, Bush, etc) that is really just a puppet for the inner party (bankers).

We have MO police releasing documents saying that political affiliation is reason to detain somebody (thoughtcrime)

etc etc etc
    Last edited by brandon; 03-15-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    It's already here in many ways
    This.

Here's an idea for ye American folk.

George Orwell's '1984' was published in 8 June 1949. So this June the book will be celebrating it's 60 anniversary.

Now why don't ye get together and launch a campaign to ensure each and every single member of congress gets a copy of this book? If ye set up a fund ye'll raise the money in no time. Ye have three months to pull it off. Go for it.

It would make great publicity for the libertarian cause.
    Fuzzy wuzzy was a woman.

Animal Farm is on my list. I can't believe i never read it. I loved 1984.
    "I'm not just trying to win or get elected. I am trying to change the course of history" - Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

We have perpetual war against an undefined target that routinely changes. Fighting "terrorism", and the battlefield changes between Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc.
    We fight for peace.

We have a big brother (Obama, Bush, etc) that is really just a puppet for the inner party (bankers).

We have MO police releasing documents saying that political affiliation is reason to detain somebody (thoughtcrime)

etc etc etc
    +1984

"War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength"

Orwell only missed one ... Debt is Wealth.
    Courage ~ Strength ~ Integrity
    RON PAUL 2012
    ----------------------
    Visit Planet ToLive
    ----------------------
    It's Thirteen O'Clock
    ----------------------
    "I am surprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of this revolution. Is not the change we have seen astonishing? What man, two years ago, would have thought it possible?"
    - John Adams, July 3, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeLiberty View Post
    +1984

"War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength"

That's sweet!

We're pretty close to having cameras on every corner, and at least a screen in every room of our living areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Animal Farm is great.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeLiberty View Post
    +1984

"War is Peace
    Freedom is Slavery
    Ignorance is Strength"

Very good
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

http://www.KnowYourRINO.com

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Thomas Pynchon

“It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.” - Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    That's sweet!

We're pretty close to having cameras on every corner, and at least a screen in every room of our living areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolah View Post
    Very good
    Once you see that the government is promoting - no, enforcing - the idea that Debt is Wealth, the rest falls quickly into place.
    Courage ~ Strength ~ Integrity
    RON PAUL 2012
    ----------------------
    Visit Planet ToLive
    ----------------------
    It's Thirteen O'Clock
    ----------------------
    "I am surprised at the suddenness, as well as the greatness of this revolution. Is not the change we have seen astonishing? What man, two years ago, would have thought it possible?"
    - John Adams, July 3, 1776

I'm sorry.
    I made the mistake that we are at war with communism.
    We are really at war with terrorism.

This ignores that fact that you can't be at war with a method.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    "two legs bad, four legs good... bahhh bahhh"

TMike
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

"We shall get nowhere until we start by recognizing that political behavior is largely non-rational, that the world is suffering from some kind of mental disease which must be diagnosed before it can be cured. " -- George Orwell

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    Animal Farm is great.
    +1 Read it when I was 13. Methinks I should read it again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    +1 Read it when I was 13. Methinks I should read it again!
    http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pdf/teachersguides/animalfarm.pdf

We fight for peace.

etc etc etc
    You are right!

Osama is Goldstein.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
    ~George Orwell
    Last edited by donnay; 03-15-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

//
    Last edited by lucius; 06-10-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    "Masterful and arrogant wealth, created largely by Government protection of its profits, not content with its domination and influence within a single party, had sought to corrupt them both, and to that end had insinuated itself into the primaries, in order that no candidates might be nominated whose views were not in accord with theirs." (‘Colonel’ Edward Mandell House in 'Philip Dru: Administrator', circa 1912)

I've not read any posts here because they may give the ending away.

I am currently 3/4 of the way through this book. This book is awesome! A must read for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Baptist View Post
    I've not read any posts here because they may give the ending away.

I am currently 3/4 of the way through this book. This book is awesome! A must read for sure.
    I hope it's downloadable for free someday! ~crosses fingers~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Up The Deise View Post
    George Orwell's '1984' was published in 8 June 1949. So this June the book will be celebrating it's 60 anniversary.
    70th anniversary this year.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    70th anniversary this year.
    Time sure does fly.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    "We shall get nowhere until we start by recognizing that political behavior is largely non-rational, that the world is suffering from some kind of mental disease which must be diagnosed before it can be cured. " -- George Orwell

We have far surpassed 1984, and our brainwashing is as political as they can make it. Death en masse is sure to follow, so be afraid, be very afraid.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan