Thread: Squatters move in to £3million home

Squatters move in to £3million home

Violation of private property?

Squatters move in to £3million home and tell owners: 'We'll call the law if you try to evict us'

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 4:41 PM on 13th March 2009

Dozens of squatters have taken over a £3million mansion – and are threatening to prosecute the owners if they try to remove them.

A gang of 40 artists climbed through an open window and are living rent free in the Grade II listed building in Bristol, playing music and huddling around electric heaters.

The squatters claim it is a criminal offence to remove them and they are doing the owners a favour by keeping the building warm and dry.
    squatters in Bristol

A gang of 40 squatters have taken over listed Mortimer House in Bristol

Squatting is legal if entry to an empty property is not forced and there is no criminal damage. But the squatters can be removed if the owners get a court order.

Owner Jason Birakos was visiting the four-storey Mortimer House in the suburb of Clifton, when he spotted posters on the door and was told by the squatters that they wouldn't leave.

One notice said: ‘We live in this property, it is our home and we intend to stay here. The section 6 is a legal document making it an offence - illegal - for you to try and enter by force and anyway we'd much rather talk to you.’

One squatter, Miriam said: ‘We have occupied this property because we want to highlight issues of homelessness.

'Buildings like this get damp damage and we keep them warm - it is like having your own live-in security.

'We have agreed to leave on Monday morning. We have swept the floor and tidied up and we will leave it tidier than we found it.'

Mr Birakos, who represents AGM City Space Investments Limited, has vowed to take legal action if they are not out by Monday.

He said: ‘They claim they entered through an open window but I’m absolutely positive the whole property was secure and windows boarded up for insurance purposes.

‘The whole situation is extremely frustrating. My hands are tied right now but if they’re there on Monday morning I’ll seek legal advice and get them out.’

‘It’s a very intricate building with some marvellous features and I’m worried there will be damage caused by their presence.'

The building used to be a hospital and is due to be converted into a luxury £7million apartment block.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-evict-us.html
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea, this is a terrible spin on "squatter's rights."

Exactly what one must expect when "rights" are granted to artificial groups and communities.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

The owners should just go buy a ton of pepper spray and turn them into grenades and throw them in. The squatters will get out quick
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Nevermind turns out they actually make pepper spray grenades

"I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995