Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water fluoridation | What do you think?

Water fluoridation | What do you think?

Water fluoridation is just starting to come to the UK and I'm very concerned. It is already quite widespread in the U.S.

There is evidence that water fluoridation can have a very negative impact on health. There is also evidence that contradicts this, but you can look into it yourself and build your own conclusions.

The reason given for water fluoridation is it improves dental health. This is also debated.

A good short introductory video on the subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ys9q1cvKGk

What do you think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Too much flouride can cause flourosis but the amount in water (one part per million) is not enough to cause this. They researched and experimented with different levels to establish this amount. It takes a lot of flouride to cause this. Too much water can be harmful for your health too.
    He is very careful of what he says. He says that too much flouride is bad which is true but he does not say that the levels in water are enough to be bad. He does not say that flouride is a poison but says that the label on a tube of toothpaste warns you to contact poison control if you ingest too much. Did you catch his warning about calling poison control if you swallow any toothpaste? He did not read all of the warning. Check you own tube at home. It actually says "If more than is used for brushing is accidentally swallowed".

His comparison of historic cavities compared with flouridation shows not that floridation has no benefit but that tooth care, including flouride toothpaste and oral hygene have also improved.

If flouride provides no benefit to teeth, does Dr. Osmunson recommend his patients do not use toothpastes?

Flouride can be a naturally occuring mineral in some water supplies- the concentration will depend on the water source and where it travels to get to the consumers. It is not a drug. Toothpaste contains from 1000 to 1500 times as much flouride as flouridated water.

As to his claim that flouride has no benefit:
    What benefits does fluoride give to teeth?

Fluoride promotes the "healing" of cavities: The regular use of fluoride containing toothpastes and mouth rinses will remineralize tooth structure which has been attacked by acid. These areas tend to harden up and will remain that way unless more sugar undermines the remineralized areas. The remineralized tooth structure will remain discolored, but the decay will become inactive if the patient cuts back on sugar exposures and continues to apply the fluoride. When decay remineralizes and becomes hard, but remains black, we say that it is "ebronated".

Fluoride increases the resistance of the teeth to acid demineralization: Any tooth structure exposed to fluoride will gain a surface molecular layer of fluoroapetite which is resistant to acid attack. This layer will wear away over time, but if the fluoride is applied daily, the armor layer is refreshed and the patient enjoys another day of decay resistance.

Fluoride interferes with the function of the germs in plaque which are responsible for turning the sugar you eat into acid. This effect lasts beyond the time of brushing (an effect we call subsidence), and the number and activity of the germs in the mouth remains below what it would without the effect of the fluoride rinse or toothpaste.

Fluoride speeds up the formation of the internal structure of the adult teeth after they have begun to erupt. When teeth first erupt into the mouth, the nerves inside them are very large. The nerve lays down more tooth structure inside its own space as we get older. This has the overall effect of strengthening the teeth since the teeth contain more hard, mineralized material as they mature.

Fluoride given to children affects the shape of the teeth themselves. The difference in shape is not obvious to non dentists. The depth of the grooves in the tops of the back teeth is reduced by fluoride. This area is where most early decay develops, and the reduction in the depth of these grooves reduces the ability of the acid to penetrate through the enamel into the softer dentin underneath.
    http://www.doctorspiller.com/fluoride.htm

All in all, a very selective, biased report.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-13-2009 at 04:30 PM.

What Zippy didn't tell you was that the fluoride compounds commonly added to water supplies are sodium fluoride and fluosilicic acid, which are industrial waste byproducts. He also didn't tell you that sodium fluoride is rat poison. Checkout the ingredients next time you're at a store that sells rat poison. They don't use the same kind of fluoride found in natural water sources, but it doesn't matter because there is no unbiased research showing that people with fluoridated water have healthier teeth than those who do not.

My personal experience:

I have never lived in an area with fluoridated water. I have always had perfect dental health, and my parents were very surprised because they always had very poor dental health despite their efforts in hygiene. I did use fluoridated toothpaste, but never ever drank fluoridated water.

You can checkout wikipedia for some interesting info, but most of it is definetely some ADA approved BS.

Conspiracy theories involving fluoridation are common, and include claims that fluoridation was motivated by protecting the U.S. atomic bomb program from litigation, that it is part of a Communist or New World Order plot to take over the world, that it was pioneered by a German chemical company to make people submissive to those in power, that it is backed by the sugar or aluminum or phosphate industries, or that it is a smokescreen to cover failure to provide dental care to the poor.[19] Specific antifluoridation arguments change to match the spirit of the time.[65]

I didn't know the whole Hitler thing was even refuted.. It's pretty established as a fact, but people just laugh when they hear that people think our government is poisoning us with the same thing as Hitler.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Sodium Fluoride is the main ingredient in Rat Poisoning.. wtf do you think?

it is very toxic.. it can effectively calcify your pineal gland..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

They were selling water at the store that was marketed towards toddlers.

It had a "With Extra Flouride" slogan on the front.

I really haven't researched this topic much, so not sure what to think.

The poison is in the dose. You can get sick or die from too much vitamins too. Or water, for that matter, as another poster pointed out.

I don't have fluorine in my water, and my teeth are falling apart (started three years after moving from somewhere with fluoridated water). Last year, the side of one of my molars literally fell off. I wasn't even doing anything, I was just driving a friend home from her graduation. It sucks. In the past year, I have had to get three crowns. Luckily, there is a company that is coming out with a cure for cavities soon (my company developed the tech, they licensed it), so I will get that as soon as it hits the market.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepmoney View Post
    Water fluoridation is just starting to come to the UK and I'm very concerned. It is already quite widespread in the U.S.

There is evidence that water fluoridation can have a very negative impact on health. There is also evidence that contradicts this, but you can look into it yourself and build your own conclusions.

The reason given for water fluoridation is it improves dental health. This is also debated.

What do you think?
    I think that in 50 years time, British people will still have comically bad teeth...
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

http://www.KnowYourRINO.com

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Thomas Pynchon

“It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.” - Voltaire.

borax (sodium boron basically) binds with fluoride when taken with clean water.....when i do this my energy levels sky rocket! as well as my sex drive.....so i think fluoride is something that shouldnt be in water, there are no REAL test proving it helps teeth, it sticks to your thyroid in place of iodine...that will kill your energy levels and make you fatter.....basiclly it makes you fat ,takes years off your life, creates health problems (more money for pharm) and kinda puts you in this fog...work home eat sleep repeat.....i think the nazi's used it to CONTROL prisoners .....so its a bit odd to me...id fight it

another point, if i put just a small amount of arsenic in your water...to where you didnt feel anything when you first drank it...slowly though it would build up in the body and cause problems....a little or a lot i sure as heck dont want ANy amount of poison in me, i live in one of the if no THE biggest city in the US that doesnt have fluoride in the water, ive never had a cavity ..im not making this up....its mainly your eating habits and genetics

ive been using a bar of soap, baking soda, and h202 to brush with, and stopped using fluoride toothpaste ....and my gums have turned a nice pink color and have stopped bleeding
    Last edited by jlott00; 03-14-2009 at 02:43 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlott00 View Post
    borax (sodium boron basically) binds with fluoride when taken with clean water.....when i do this my energy levels sky rocket!
    One should put borax in their drinking water?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    Luckily, there is a company that is coming out with a cure for cavities soon (my company developed the tech, they licensed it), so I will get that as soon as it hits the market.
    Keep us updated!

I'd like to read about it.

I'm of the understanding that fluoride is helpful in preventing tooth decay when it is in contact with the teeth, but there have been no benefits shown to ingesting it. As such, I would prefer not to ingest something that is the main ingredient of rat poison in ANY dosage. There's fluoride toothpaste and for those that want to ingest it there are even fluoride pills (or at least there were when I was a kid).

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    Keep us updated!

I'd like to read about it.
    There's supposed to be a press release about it in the next couple of weeks. I'll post it once I get a hold of it.

My mother had my teeth "sealed" (whatever that means) when I was 3 or so, and I have never had a cavity. I brushed regularly (AIM toothpaste and now Crest), flossed sparingly (my bad) and continue to be pink gummed, cavity free and not quite insane.

Where is FluoridatedBrainSoup when you need him!?
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

So how many people have gone to the hospital or died from toothpast poisoning? I have never heard of any. It contains 1000- 1500 times the amount most flouridated water supplies do.

In this country, most people use flouride toothpastes so flouridated water probably only adds a marginal benifit for cavity and tooth decay protection. In areas with less fouride toothpaste use it can be an extremely cost effective way to help with oral health. A years supply of flouridated water only costs about $0.90 per person per year. Compare that to the price of a tube of toothpaste.

My mother had my teeth "sealed" (whatever that means) when I was 3 or so, and I have never had a cavity. I brushed regularly (AIM toothpaste and now Crest), flossed sparingly (my bad) and continue to be pink gummed, cavity free and not quite insane.
    You probably don't have any of the teeth you had when you were three so that is no longer helping you.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation
    Water fluoridation is the controlled addition of fluoride to a public water supply to reduce tooth decay. Fluoridated water has fluoride at a level that is effective for preventing cavities; this can occur naturally or by adding fluoride.[2] Drinking fluoridated water creates low levels of fluoride in saliva, which reduces the rate at which tooth enamel demineralizes and increases the rate at which it remineralizes in the early stages of cavities.[3] A 1994 World Health Organization expert committee suggested a level of fluoride from 0.5 to 1.0 mg/L (milligrams per liter), depending on climate.[4] Typically a fluoridated compound is added to drinking water, a process that costs about $0.93 per person-year in the U.S. (range $0.22–$9.85,[2] inflation-adjusted from 1999 values[5]). Defluoridation is needed when the naturally occurring fluoride level exceeds recommended limits.[6] Bottled water typically has unknown fluoride levels, and some more-expensive household water filters remove some or all fluoride.[7]

Dental cavities remain a major public health concern in most industrialized countries, affecting 60–90% of schoolchildren and the vast majority of adults.[8] Water fluoridation prevents cavities in both children[9] and adults,[10] with studies estimating an 18–40% reduction in cavities when water fluoridation is used by children who already had access to toothpaste and other sources of fluoride.[2] Although water fluoridation can cause dental fluorosis, which can alter the appearance of developing teeth, most of this is mild and usually not considered to be of aesthetic or public-health concern.[9] There is no clear evidence of other adverse effects. Moderate-quality studies have investigated effectiveness; studies on adverse effects have been mostly of low quality.[11] Fluoride's effects depend on the total daily intake of fluoride from all sources. Drinking water is the largest source;[12] other methods of fluoride therapy include fluoridation of toothpaste, salt, and milk.[13] Water fluoridation, when feasible and culturally acceptable, has substantial advantages, especially for subgroups at high risk.[8] In the U.S., water fluoridation was listed as one of the ten great public health achievements of the 20th century;[14] in contrast, most European countries have experienced substantial declines in tooth decay without its use, primarily due to the introduction of fluoride toothpaste in the 1970s.[3] Fluoridation may be more justified in the U.S. because of socioeconomic inequalities in dental health and dental care.[15]

Water fluoridation's goal is to prevent a chronic disease whose burdens particularly fall on children and on the poor.[16] Its use presents a conflict between the common good and individual rights.[17] It is controversial,[18] and opposition to it has been based on ethical, legal, safety, and efficacy grounds. Almost all major public health and dental organizations support water fluoridation, or consider it safe.[19] Its use began in the 1940s, following studies of children in a region where higher levels of fluoride occur naturally in the water. Researchers discovered that moderate fluoridation prevents cavities,[20] and it is now used by 5.7% of people worldwide.[18]

Quote Originally Posted by sheepmoney View Post

What do you think?
    IMHO, it's bad news for health-and an expansion of the state into individual's lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So how many people have gone to the hospital or died from toothpast poisoning? I have never heard of any. It contains 1000- 1500 times the amount most flouridated water supplies do.

In this country, most people use flouride toothpastes so flouridated water probably only adds a marginal benifit for cavity and tooth decay protection. In areas with less fouride toothpaste use it can be an extremely cost effective way to help with oral health. A years supply of flouridated water only costs about $0.90 per person per year. Compare that to the price of a tube of toothpaste.

You probably don't have any of the teeth you had when you were three so that is no longer helping you.

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation
    Note that one doesn't use toothpaste in as many applications as water. (showers, cooking, etc.) That's a faulty comparison, it seems.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post

lucky bastard!! I was cavity free till about 18...now I've got a bunch of crowns and a cavity or 2. I hate the drill!

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    One should put borax in their drinking water?
    it can help remove (bind) with fluoride in your water if you have no other option, i take it with distilled water and it makes me feel great....my heart beats per min dropped about 20 beats, i figure from helping with the thyroid , ive not had any problems doing it,

one simple and reserved dose is 1/2 a teaspoon in 32oz of water (1/4 for a smaller women)...just drink it...either all at once or through out the day..then switch to distilled ......4 days on 3 off...you need the 3 days off to give your body a break,

its basically like taking boron......its one of those mind things....dont think about it like "im taking laundry booster"...but more like "im using borax for my laundry"...hope this makes sense ......you can also wash your hair and get rid of dandruff with it

Fluoride promotes tooth decay. It is very bad for your bones, kidneys and thyroid and simply brushing with it seeps into your blood stream. It is a toxic by-product.

Water Fluoridation
    http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoridation.htm

WHY I CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT WATER FLUORIDATION
    http://www.fluoride-journal.com/98-31-2/312103.htm

Fluoridation: A Horror Story
    http://www.ahealedplanet.net/fluoride.htm

http://www.scientificblogging.com/sallystride
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

What about "natural occurring" fluoride as Fiji Water claims?
    tu ne cede malis

Yeah how much toothpaste do you use? and do you swallow it or spit it out?

I actually did have to have my stomach pumped as a 4 yr old child because I got into the fluoride tablets. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Fluoride promotes tooth decay. It is very bad for your bones, kidneys and thyroid and simply brushing with it seeps into your blood stream. It is a toxic by-product.

Water Fluoridation
    http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoridation.htm

WHY I CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT WATER FLUORIDATION
    http://www.fluoride-journal.com/98-31-2/312103.htm

Fluoridation: A Horror Story
    http://www.ahealedplanet.net/fluoride.htm

http://www.scientificblogging.com/sallystride
    In this post, blatant disinformation.

The universe isn't lying to you. If fluoridation promoted tooth decay, no city would go to the expense of doing it. Remember this local policy, so unless you think hundreds of thousands of local mayors answer to some Illuminatist conspiracy, you're just blowing smoke.

My water isn't flouridated. It used to be until a year ago, when I moved to a place off the city water grid.

But my teeth ache if I don't buy flouride and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    In this post, blatant disinformation.

The universe isn't lying to you. If fluoridation promoted tooth decay, no city would go to the expense of doing it. Remember this local policy, so unless you think hundreds of thousands of local mayors answer to some Illuminatist conspiracy, you're just blowing smoke.

LOL! It's obvious you never bothered to research any of the claims. I did, and I do not use fluoride and haven't for over 5 years because I took the time to research it. I am not asking for you to believe me, that's why I provided links, in my previous post, for you to read.

I imagine it makes you fell better to sit in denial not willing to find the truth and to attach the messenger, who is simply trying to bring an awareness of a poison that so many people were lied to as being harmless--well, there is enough information out there that proves it is, indeed, very harmful.

Here is another well documented link:
    http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

Here's are some videos that have been very well documented:

Professional Perspectives: Fluoride in Tap Water

Fluoride Deception Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3y8uwtxrHo

Fluoride Deception Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hW0_...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NFOn...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SYIH...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Ffv...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i8Wr...eature=related
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    LOL! It's obvious you never bothered to research any of the claims. I did, and I do not use fluoride and haven't for over 5 years because I took the time to research it. I am not asking for you to believe me, that's why I provided links, in my previous post, for you to read.

I imagine it makes you fell better to sit in denial not willing to find the truth and to attach the messenger, who is simply trying to bring an awareness of a poison that so many people were lied to as being harmless--well, there is enough information out there that proves it is, indeed, very harmful.

Here is another well documented link:
    http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

Here's are some videos that have been very well documented:

Professional Perspectives: Fluoride in Tap Water

Fluoride Deception Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3y8uwtxrHo

Fluoride Deception Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hW0_...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NFOn...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SYIH...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Ffv...eature=related

Fluoride Deception Part 6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i8Wr...eature=related
    FYI, youtube and websites promoting holistic medicine (ie water that cures everything, not natural cures) aren't the best sources for factual information.

You fail to address my principle point. Townships aren't plugged into some massive secret conspiracy to placate the masses at their own expense. If it didn't protect teeth, it wouldn't happen. Read up on how the effects of fluoride were discovered (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation under the History section). Those concentrations were MUCH higher than any that are put into our water supply. People would have brown, pitted teeth if the fluoride concentrations were high enough to have an effect on mental health.

The thesis of your argument is wrong. I don't care how many idiots on Youtube think otherwise.

Funny how some people dismiss Wikipeida as biased or untrustworthy while having no problems believing YouTube videos. At least Wiki is reviewed for accuracy. Anybody can say anything on YouTube- no matter how biased or inaccurate it may be.

Yes, flouride can be a poison- in large amounts. But in smaller amounts it offers beneifical protection against cavities. It does not guanantee no cavities but it has been shown to reduce their occurance. Water itself is a poison in excessive amounts as are many of the things we need to survive. Even oxygen. 100% of people who breath air or drink water end up dying.

I see some of these tactics being used here:
    http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPr.../fluoride.html

A variation of the big lie is the laundry list. List enough "evils," and even if proponents can reply to some of them, they will never be able to cover the entire list. This technique is most effective in debates, letters to the editor, and television news reports. Another variation is the simple statement that fluoridation doesn't work. Although recent studies show less difference than there used to be in decay rates between fluoridated and nonfluoridated communities, the benefit is still substantial. In fact, the Public Health Service estimates that every dollar spent for community fluoridation saves about fifty dollars in dental bills.

A key factor in any anti campaign is the use of printed matter. Because of this, antis are very eager to have their views printed. Scientific journals will rarely publish them, but most local newspapers are willing to express minority viewpoints regardless of whether facts support them. A few editors even welcome the controversy the antis generate—expecting that it will increase readership.

The aim of anti "documents" is to create the illusion of scientific controversy. Often they quote statements that are out of date or out of context. Quotes from obscure or hard-to-locate journals are often used. Another favored tactic is to misquote a profluoridation scientist, knowing that even if the scientist protests, the reply will not reach all those who read the original misquote.

Half-truths are commonly used. For example, saying that fluoride is a rat poison ignores the fact that poison is a matter of dose. Large amounts of many substances—even pure water—can poison people. But the trace amount of fluoride contained in fluoridated water will not harm anyone.

"Experts" are commonly quoted. It is possible to find someone with scientific credentials who is against just about anything. Most "experts" who speak out against fluoridation, however, are not experts on the subject. There are, of course, a few dentists and physicians who oppose fluoridation. Some of them object to fluoridation as a form of government intrusion, even though they know it is safe and effective.

Innuendo is a technique that has broad appeal because it can be used in a seemingly unemotional pitch. Some antis admit that fluoridation has been found safe "so far," but claim that its long-range effects have "not yet" been fully explored. The waiting game is a related gambit in which antis suggest that waiting a bit longer will help to resolve "doubt" about fluoridation's safety. No doubt, some antis will continue to use this argument for a few hundred more years.

A few antis have offered a "reward" for proving that fluoridation is safe. During the 1970s, a $100,000 offer required the pros to post a bond "to cover any costs which the offerers of the reward might incur if the proof is deemed invalid." The offer did not state who would judge the evidence, but it was safe to assume that the antis themselves would have appointed the judges. If a suit had been filed to collect the reward, the court might have ruled that the offer was a gambling bet that should not be enforced by a court. Such a suit would have required at least $25,000 for the bond and legal fees. Even if it had been won, however, there was no assurance that the money would have been recovered from the individuals who sponsored the reward. Most of them were elderly and scattered widely throughout the United States and Canada.

Since the scientific community is so solidly in favor of fluoridation, antis try to discredit it entirely by use of the conspiracy gambit. The beauty of the conspiracy charge is that it can be leveled at anyone and there is absolutely no way to disprove it. After all, how does one prove that something is not taking place secretly? Favorite "conspirators" are the U.S. Public Health Service, the American Dental Association, the American Medical Association, and the aluminum industry. Apparently, in the minds of the antis, these groups could all be working together to "poison" the American people! Years ago, conspiracy claims would work primarily with the very paranoid. But modern-day government scandals may make them seem realistic to a wider audience.The "slippery slope" claim is a related gambit. "This is only the beginning!" the antis wail. "First they will add fluoride, then vitamin pills, and the next thing you know it will be birth control pills!" Who "they" are need not be specified.

Scare words will add zip to any anti campaign. Not only the more obvious ones like "cancer" and "heart disease," but also more specialized terms like "mongoloid births" and "sickle-cell anemia." Ecology words are also useful. Calling fluoride a "chemical" (rather than a nutrient) can strike fear in the minds of many Americans who fear we are already too "chemicalized." The fact that water itself is a chemical and the fact that responsible use of chemicals is extremely helpful to our society will not reassure everyone. Fluoride is also called "artificial" and "a pollutant," which is "against nature."

Faced with the fact that fluoridation merely copies a natural phenomenon, the antis reply that "natural" fluoride differs from "artificial" fluoride—a "fact" as yet undiscovered by scientists.

Suggesting alternatives is another common tactic. Here the antis propose that the community distribute free fluoride tablets to parents who wish to give them to their children. The suggested program sounds "democratic," but it will not be effective from a public health standpoint. Most parents are not motivated to administer the 4,000+ doses needed from birth through age twelve. The plea for alternatives is often made by a "neutral" individual who sounds like he will support an alternative program if water fluoridation is defeated. Don't bet on it. Such advocacy is almost always a propaganda ploy.

Once fluoridation has begun in a community, antis can resort to the "cause-of-all-evil" gambit—blaming fluoridation for everything that occurred after it started. An example of this tactic, one that backfired on opponents, took place in Cleveland on June 1, 1956—when fluorides were to be added to the city's water supply. That day, the phone calls began: "My goldfish have died." "My African violets are wilting." "I can't make a decent cup of coffee." "My dog is constipated." Although the basis of such complaints is emotional rather than physical, this time fluoridation's innocence was beyond question. Last-minute problems had delayed its start until July!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post

The water in this area was unfluoridated until recently. We went to the dentist and got some sort of fluoride treatment (some pink crap that was swished around, I think?), but it was spit out. My brother's teeth are perfect (never had a cavity), but I've had a couple.

It just seems weird to me that the gov't doesn't care about regular or poor people in most every other way, but our teeth are very, very important to them! Something a bit odd about that.

As they say, follow the money.

The cost of flouridation is about $.90 per person for an entire year. Not a lot of money.

The cost of flouridation is about $.90 per person for an entire year. Not a lot of money.
    You try getting a township of 10,000 to part with $9,000 for a program to poison their townspeople and let us know how far you get.

Remember, once again, this isn't "the" government doing this. This is tens of thousands of individual city and county governments doing this. If it wasn't beneficial in SOME way (whether in increased public health or payouts from some conspiratorial organization), it wouldn't get done anywhere, much less in 60+% of all cities and towns.

I don't think anyone brought up the point that water fluoridation is forced medication, regardless of its efficacy. People who do not want to ingest it now have to either move or buy filtration products. I don't think the government should be subsidizing any medications, but a more cost-effective, government-supplied solution would be to provide fluoride tablets so those that love rat poison can have as much as they want (said people could also buy rat poison (or Prozac) and dilute it).

Also, people don't realize that they absorb fluoride in the shower and get a dose of it in any food that was raised/grown/prepared with fluoridated water. So they're getting a much larger dose of fluoride than they think.
    Last edited by WayBehind; 03-15-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast