Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official Ron Paul Forums Recipe Thread

Cheeseburger Soup

I made this cheeseburger soup for a work party by combining a few recipes I found and it was a hit. Rotel gives it a nice kick, or leave it out if you want and add more diced tomatoes.

Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp. sweet leaf basil
    1 Tbsp. parsley
    1 14-oz. cans chicken broth
    2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
    1 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
    1 10-oz. can Rotel
    1 16 oz. package Velveeta, cubed
    1 6-oz. can tomato paste
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
    1 dill pickle, minced
    1 cup whole milk
    Toasted buns or rolls
    Cheeseburger toppings, such as pickles, onions, lettuce, mustard, and/or ketchup (optional)

directions

In 4-quart Dutch oven cook beef, onion, celery, basil, parsley and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain off fat. Sprinkle flour on beef mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in broth and potatoes. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
    Stir in tomatoes, Rotel, cheese, tomato paste, ketchup, pickles, and mustard. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and smooth and soup just comes to gentle boiling. Stir in milk; heat through. Serve with toasted buns and cheeseburger toppings. Makes 6 main-dish servings.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I found out you can make a super pie with frozen grapes. Tastes just like a cherry pie.
    Roll 4 cups frozen grapes in splenda or sugar and two tblspoons cornstach sprinkle with almond extract dump in a pie crust dot with butter. cover with another crust and bake.

Epicurious.com is a great recipe site, so is joy of baking

elk stew

Came across this recipe years back and since I eay the dickens out of elk... this is my favorite elk stew recipe... very good. Sometimes I leave out the Jalepenos but it is a matter of choice.

1 pound elk meat (the “jerky” cut works best, although roast is fine) cut into small cubes or slices
    1 chopped green bell pepper
    1 chopped bunch little onions and 1-2 inches of green stems
    5 cups cooked pinto beans (beans prepared in a crock pot are best; if you use canned beans, rinse well)
    1 cup cooked hominy (optional)
    1-3 chopped jalapenos (optional)
    *3 cups game broth, or low sodium chicken broth or water broth is tastier)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Add Old World Ingredients for more flavor:
    *One clove garlic
    *One bunch chopped celery with leaves (leaves are key!)

Sautee elk, bell pepper, onions, jalapeno, spices with three tablespoons of vegetable oil.

After meat is browned and vegetables are soft, place in cock pot with beans and chicken broth.

Slow cook on high for eight hours. Longer is better. Check every few hours to see if you need to add more liquid.

Then switch to low cook for at least two hours.

You can prepare this stew in the morning and it will be ready for dinner. It tstaes best after 10 hours of cooking.

*Old World ingredient

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We had a big BBQ last Saturday (that's why I haven't been on rpf's for a while..)

Anywho, I'm pulling all the last minute stuff together and realized I had forgotten the cheese spread for the zillion crackers I had all laid out for the party.

Never fear, I cut up a port wine cheese ball into smallish chunks, added a tub of cream cheese, half a bottle of greek dressing and half and half to get the right consistancy, whipped it up in the food processor---- I really liked the port wine/chedder-parmesean cheese flavor!

Not a cracker or drop of cheese spread left over.....
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

I was looking for this thread yesterday! Thanks for bumping it

je_dryst03

I have seen a good thread so far in this forum so i signed up..... Nice to be here....

Quote Originally Posted by je_dryst03 View Post
    I have seen a good thread so far in this forum so i signed up..... Nice to be here....
    Welcome. This thread is one of my favorites.

Welcome je, I also like the survival threads, what to store, how to store, how much to store.

I am an avid gardener as well.

I don't know how many receipes I have, but I have lots of basic, from scratch ones that can help in a pinch.

My all time fav cookbook is the "Joy of Cooking." If you need to know how to make yogurt, it's there. Any of the basic, usually store bought mix type things, are in this cookbook and will help you navigate shortages..."just sayin'" LOL!
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

//
    Last edited by nayjevin; 07-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Salt & Pepper Soup

Ingredients:
    • Can of soup
    • Salt
    • Pepper

Instruments:
    • Can opener
    • Pot or bowl
    • Stove or microwave
    • Spoon

Instructions:

1. Open can of soup using can opener.
    2. Pour soup into a pot or bowl.
    3. Put pot or bowl on a stove or in a microwave.
    4. Turn on stove or microwave.
    5. Let stove or microwave heat up soup.
    6. Take soup off stove or out of microwave when hot (You should see steam rising from soup).
    7. Put salt and pepper into soup.
    8. Take a spoon and stir salt and pepper into soup.
    9. Eat and enjoy.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    Ingredients:
    • Can of soup
    • Salt
    • Pepper

Instruments:
    • Can opener
    • Pot or bowl
    • Stove or microwave
    • Spoon

Instructions:

1. Open can of soup using can opener.
    2. Pour soup into a pot or bowl.
    3. Put pot or bowl on a stove or in a microwave.
    4. Turn on stove or microwave.
    5. Let stove or microwave heat up soup.
    6. Take soup off stove or out of microwave when hot (You should see steam rising from soup).
    7. Put salt and pepper into soup.
    8. Take a spoon and stir salt and pepper into soup.
    9. Eat and enjoy.
    You add salt to canned soup?

Well they ought to make a law against that....
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaleidoscope eyes View Post
    Alright, Here's a real easy one that everyone just love love loves!

Easy Crunchy Onion Chicken

1lb bnls skinless chicken breasts
    Lg. can french fried onions
    1 egg beaten

Crush fried onions in gallon plastic bag
    Dip chicken in egg and coat with onion crumbs
    Bake 20 min in 400 degree oven or until done

and Yummy! enjoy!
    french fried onions are amazing. the dankest.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    Not quite a recipe but check out my opus on freezing vegetables:

http://nayjevin.com/blog/cooking/freezing-vegetables/

I take my cilantro, and other similar herbs that I don't dry like lemon grass, and puree them with either water or butter, depending on what herb it is and what I might want to use it for. Cilantro butter is heavenly on fresh grilled fish or steak....I spread it out on a sheet pan and freeze it, then break it up in chunks when I need some.

I"ve been freezing my tomatos whole, run water over them when you need them and the skins peel right off. Takes up more room though, I'll probable peel them first this year, I've planted three times as many tomato plants.

My mom froze her peppers like you did, we dried them instead. This year I'm growing more "sweet" type peppers and plan on freezing lots of diced peppers.

We dried onions and potatoes last year, this year we are growing tons more of onions and will probably freeze some.

Same with the zuchs, I'll have too many, so will freeze some. I took pics the other day, green beans and sugar snaps are almost a foot high, things are coming up all over....grins! I"ll post when I get a chance.

anyone have any good hot sauce recipes?
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

This was so unexpectedly good that I had to post--I wasn't expecting to like kale, but it seemed to add an almost bacony flavor. Oh, chop up the kale finely, otherwise it's a bit like seaweed. It's also good with a slice of swiss melted on top.

Bean soup with kale

Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
    * 8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
    * 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    * 4 cups chopped raw kale
    * 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    * 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, such as cannellini or navy, undrained
    * 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
    * 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
    * Salt and pepper to taste
    * 1 cup chopped parsley

Directions

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion; saute until soft. Add kale and saute, stirring, until wilted. Add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, and all of the tomato, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. In a blender or food processor, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth. Stir into soup to thicken. Simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Bump...because I need some new recipes that folks have actually tried--and I'm going shopping tomorrow at the local insanity-mart which carries all kinds of exotic produce.

This pasta is addictive, try at your own risk:

Greek pasta with shrimp (going completely off memory here)

Cook some pasta--preferably angel hair or linguine. I usually use about 1lb.

You'll need:

garlic (about 3 cloves worth)
    artichokes (canned or jarred, cut into quarters)
    shrimp (uncooked) about a pound
    fresh tomatoes, chopped (about 3 romas)
    feta cheese, cut into cubes (approximately half a pound)
    parsley, chopped (a bunch)
    olive oil (2 TBSP)
    white wine or chicken broth (or a combination of both--one cup total?)
    1 lemon

In a saute pan, heat olive oil mildly--you don't want it scorching hot or you'll burn the garlic...add garlic and saute just until fragrant. Add shrimp and saute just until it gets some color. Add artichokes, stir about for around a minute. Add wine/broth, tomatoes and the cooked pasta...cook for about 30s before adding feta cheese, and the juice of one lemon...give the pasta (al dente, of course) a bit of time to absorb the flavors and the feta a bit to mostly melt/break up into the dish (stir it a decent amount.) Add as much salt and parsley as you like.

Get plate, fork and stuff yourself silly. If you want to stretch the shrimp, cut it in half, right down the center...if you have loads of it and money is no concern, add a bunch of it because it's freaking delicious.

As long as you don't burn the garlic, you can't mess this up. It's absolutely fantastic.
    Last edited by amy31416; 01-05-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I forgot lemon! AAAAAAAACK!

If you're going to freeze seasoning (as some in the thread have discussed), you might want to consider an ice cube tray used exclusively for doing so. It gives you consistent sizing and is a lot less annoying than freezing a pan or a plastic container full of broth/herbs/etc..
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

^^^

Good suggestion. I also like to do that with chicken broth, so it's easier to dole out smaller quantities when needed.

How about some pita bread? Okay...

Pita bread can be made from normal bread dough, so if you have a favorite recipe, try it and it will probably work. But here's a general recipe for plain white.

3.5 C All purpose flour
    1 packet, or 2.25 tsp yeast
    2 tsp salt
    warm water--enough to moisten thoroughly

Let it rise for the typical 1.5-2 hrs, punch down, knead, adding flour as needed to make it manageable. Break off balls of dough, about golf-ball size...let rise for another 20 minutes-1 hr. On a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out until thin, turning after each roll in order to get a reasonable facsimile of a circle. Shake or brush off excess flour...if you find that the dough "snaps back" excessively, let the dough sit about 5-10 minutes so the gluten can relax, then roll again. Generally, I like to work on one, let it sit, move to the next, let it sit, then go back to the first.

Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet (or you can use a pizza stone in the oven 450-500 degrees), and throw one on...it should take about 2-3 minutes before it starts to puff up....when you start to get brown spots on the underside, flip it over and cook until you get brown spots on the other, then remove and set on a towel to cool. Sometimes only half will puff up, then the rest will puff when you flip it...sometimes it won't because it's ornery.

Do not add oil to the dough or to the pan, it will not puff and create the pocket. Don't cut open too soon or you'll fuse it back together. These do not stay pliable for a very long time, so plan on using within 24 hours, and toast any leftovers for chips.

This can also be flatbread, if you don't roll it very thin and oil the pan. Flat bread is also great for hummus or even a Middle Eastern-style "sandwich", or just with butter/olive oil and herbs. If you keep a giant vat of cold-rise dough in the refrigerator, like I usually do--you can just take some out anytime, and have fresh bread within 20 minutes. That method of keeping dough will eventually give you more complex flavors AND you save yeast, since you rarely need to add any more, just add more flour, salt and warm water when your dough level gets low.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 02-21-2013 at 10:48 PM.

//

//

Bump
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Curry - chicken, beef, goat, lamb, shrimp, fish

Meats cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks. Shrimp peeled and deveined. Fish, any way you want, deboned. Or not.
    Chicken should ALWAYS be cooked on the bone. Another possibility is to debone, crack the bones well and put into cheesecloth which goes in with the meat and is removed later, to be discarded or sucked on depending on whether you like marrow, etc. The bones are crucial for the right flavor.

1# to 1 1/2# flesh of choice
    Extra virgin olive oil sufficient for sauteeing
    1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
    2 to 4 large potatoes (preferably golden) cut into approximately 1" cubes.
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    6 elaichi pods (cardamom) crushed
    2 - 3 Tb Masala (Garam Masala)
    1 Tsp. tumeric.
    1 - 1 1/2 Tsp. toasted, ground cumin
    1 Tb. curry paste (red, green, or yellow)
    8 oz. coconut milk
    1 wiri wiri pepper or equivalent heat to taste, minced
    salt to taste
    2 cups boiling water.

In a large skillet, heat oil to medium high
    Add onions and hot pepper, sautee until glassy
    Add garlic and salt and sautee until garlic browns
    Add masala, tumeric, cumin, and curry paste. Mix well and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let it toast but do not burn.
    Add elaichi, potatoes, and meat ( do not add fish or shrimp yet if using those). Stir frequently and water will begin to escape the meat. Cook this way under medium heat until most of the water is gone. This is called "bunjal".
    When meat has bunjaled, add coconut milk and deglaze the pan.
    Once deglazed, add just enough boiling water to cover the contents. Cover and let simmer 30 minutes or so. Time will vary depending on how much you have in the pot.

When potatoes are done, the meal is ready to serve unless using fish or shrimp, in which case add those when potatoes are about 1/2 done. Over-cooked shrimp are not so palatable.

Serve with rice or roti (like naan)

You will have to play with the ingredient proportions to arrive at a result that is right for you. The ingredients as listed here are only approximations as I never measure any of this and just do it from memory.

A key here is to have GOOD masala. Supermarket masala is not very good at all. Go to an Indian grocer. When you compare proper masala with that gotten in a jar from a factory, you will know what I mean. The difference is quite striking.

One can make their own masala. There are ready made bags of ingredients. Also, toasted cumin is not difficult. Put whole cumin into a medium hot skillet and toast it until the seeds darken to a light chocolate brown. Be very careful not to burn them because it will become bitter. Grind the seeds into a fairly fine powder (not flour) and store in a sealed glass container. Toasted cumin is a fabulous seasoning and is far more flavorful than the raw seed.

This meal can be completed in about 40 minutes and is very tasty and sustaining.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

have to try that. subscribing to thread.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Curry - chicken, beef, goat, lamb, shrimp, fish

Meats cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks. Shrimp peeled and deveined. Fish, any way you want, deboned. Or not.
    Chicken should ALWAYS be cooked on the bone. Another possibility is to debone, crack the bones well and put into cheesecloth which goes in with the meat and is removed later, to be discarded or sucked on depending on whether you like marrow, etc. The bones are crucial for the right flavor.

1# to 1 1/2# flesh of choice
    Extra virgin olive oil sufficient for sauteeing
    1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
    2 to 4 large potatoes (preferably golden) cut into approximately 1" cubes.
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    6 elaichi pods (cardamom) crushed
    2 - 3 Tb Masala (Garam Masala)
    1 Tsp. tumeric.
    1 - 1 1/2 Tsp. toasted, ground cumin
    1 Tb. curry paste (red, green, or yellow)
    8 oz. coconut milk
    1 wiri wiri pepper or equivalent heat to taste, minced
    salt to taste
    2 cups boiling water.

In a large skillet, heat oil to medium high
    Add onions and hot pepper, sautee until glassy
    Add garlic and salt and sautee until garlic browns
    Add masala, tumeric, cumin, and curry paste. Mix well and let cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Let it toast but do not burn.
    Add elaichi, potatoes, and meat ( do not add fish or shrimp yet if using those). Stir frequently and water will begin to escape the meat. Cook this way under medium heat until most of the water is gone. This is called "bunjal".
    When meat has bunjaled, add coconut milk and deglaze the pan.
    Once deglazed, add just enough boiling water to cover the contents. Cover and let simmer 30 minutes or so. Time will vary depending on how much you have in the pot.

When potatoes are done, the meal is ready to serve unless using fish or shrimp, in which case add those when potatoes are about 1/2 done. Over-cooked shrimp are not so palatable.

Serve with rice or roti (like naan)

You will have to play with the ingredient proportions to arrive at a result that is right for you. The ingredients as listed here are only approximations as I never measure any of this and just do it from memory.

A key here is to have GOOD masala. Supermarket masala is not very good at all. Go to an Indian grocer. When you compare proper masala with that gotten in a jar from a factory, you will know what I mean. The difference is quite striking.

One can make their own masala. There are ready made bags of ingredients. Also, toasted cumin is not difficult. Put whole cumin into a medium hot skillet and toast it until the seeds darken to a light chocolate brown. Be very careful not to burn them because it will become bitter. Grind the seeds into a fairly fine powder (not flour) and store in a sealed glass container. Toasted cumin is a fabulous seasoning and is far more flavorful than the raw seed.

This meal can be completed in about 40 minutes and is very tasty and sustaining.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    have to try that. subscribing to thread.
    I will try to get the wife to recite the recipe for pepper pot. It is one of my favorite dishes but I can never remember how to make it. Everyone for whom we make it loves it. You will, however, have to find good casareep, which can be difficult in places like WV.

Roti is easy to make but should be shown in order to be understood. if you have any Indian friends who cook, ask them to show you. It is endlessly useful to know how to make such flat breads for oneself. There are several types as well.

Jeez... it's 1 AM here and I feel like cooking something. Dammit.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I will try to get the wife to recite the recipe for pepper pot. It is one of my favorite dishes but I can never remember how to make it. Everyone for whom we make it loves it. You will, however, have to find good casareep, which can be difficult in places like WV.

Roti is easy to make but should be shown in order to be understood. if you have any Indian friends who cook, ask them to show you. It is endlessly useful to know how to make such flat breads for oneself. There are several types as well.

Jeez... it's 1 AM here and I feel like cooking something. Dammit.
    I feel like having you cook something too!!!

but I guess I'll just have to figure it out for myself, basee on your recipes....
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dang, I added a link in my favorites to this thread, made me hungry just perusing through the recipes here ummm...ummm

edit: thanks @osan and @sailingaway for bumping it
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 05-02-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Here is my sister's favorite recipe from the greatest restaurant ever. R.I.P., Quags.

Shrimp Diablo

2-3 T. Oil
    10-12 Shrimp
    2-3 oz. Onion, diced
    5-8 Jalapeno slices
    2-3 oz. Tomatoes, diced
    1 tsp. Garlic, chopped
    1 T. Blackened fish seasoning
    (1-oz.) Texas Pete wing sauce
    1/2 c. Cream
    (Rice)

Heat saute pan and add oil. Add shrimp, onions, jalapenos, tomtoes, garlic, blackening seasoning, and wing sauce. Add cream and let simmer until sauce reduces and thickens. Serve over cooked rice. Quagmires recommends Uncle Ben's Garlic and Butter Infused rice and a pinch of turmeric to make it yellow. Makes a single serving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast