Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cash the savings bonds

7 58.33%
  • Wait until they fully mature

5 41.67%

Thread: EE Savings Bonds

EE Savings Bonds

I have a few $200 EE savings bonds that are not fully mature, but that are over 5 years old (i.e. I won't forfeit the last 3 months worth of interest). I can cash the bonds in now for ~$140. I'm looking for advice on whether I should cash them in now or wait a couple of years until they fully mature and hope that inflation doesn't wipe the purchasing power of the earned $ away. What should I do???

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary07 View Post
    I have a few $200 EE savings bonds that are not fully mature, but that are over 5 years old (i.e. I won't forfeit the last 3 months worth of interest). I can cash the bonds in now for ~$140. I'm looking for advice on whether I should cash them in now or wait a couple of years until they fully mature and hope that inflation doesn't wipe the purchasing power of the earned $ away. What should I do???
    I don't know much about EE saving bonds. but what i can understand is they are now worth $140 ea.

If they mature in a couple years and would be worth $200 ea , i would not cash them in because $60 ea is a pretty good return on $140 in 2yrs. Looks like about 22% per year. Thats not bad .

Inflation will not raise too much in the next couple years that you would notice.

JMHO

Don't buy any more series EE

Folks, if you are reading this thread, please consider getting the series I, instead of the series EE. The EE's are paying 1.25% annually. The E's are paying 5.12% and have a component of their payout linked to the CPI. So there, you'll get a far better yield and some inflation protection if you buy series I.

Considering the bond bubble brewing, I would sell the bonds and take the cash. But in reality, you are talking about pretty non material numbers so either way you wouldn't get "killed".

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    Considering the bond bubble brewing, I would sell the bonds and take the cash. But in reality, you are talking about pretty non material numbers so either way you wouldn't get "killed".
    That's what I did. I sold all my savings bonds last month. I highly recommend it.
    Force always attracts men of low morality. – Albert Einstein

Government is essentially the negation of liberty. – Ludwig von Mises

The great non-sequitur committed by defenders of the State, including classical Aristotelian and Thomist philosophers, is to leap from the necessity of society to the necessity of the State. - Murray N. Rothbard