Thread: Microsoft to let PC users turn off IE Web browser in Windows 7

Microsoft to let PC users turn off IE Web browser in Windows 7

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...zO6gwD96OSS881

By JESSICA MINTZ – 3 hours ago

SEATTLE (AP) — A single check box deep in the guts of the next version of Windows is giving Microsoft Corp. watchers a peek at how the software maker plans to keep European antitrust regulators from marring a crucial software launch.

Windows 7, the successor to the much-maligned Vista, isn't expected to reach consumers until next year, but more than a million people are already testing early versions. A pair of bloggers tinkering with settings stumbled upon one they hadn't seen before: The ability to "turn off" Microsoft's own Internet Explorer browser.

Microsoft lost a long-running battle with EU antitrust regulators in 2007 over the way it bundled media player software into the Windows operating system. The dust had barely settled when a similar claim was filed, this time over Internet Explorer's place inside Windows. Opera Software ASA, a Norwegian competitor, claimed the practice gives Microsoft's browser an unfair advantage.

In a preliminary decision in January, the EU agreed. Since then, makers of the open-source browser Firefox and Google Inc., which entered the browser market six months ago, have offered to provide more evidence that Microsoft is stifling competition.

In the media player dispute, the EU heavily fined Microsoft and forced it to sell a version of Windows without the offending program installed. This time, Microsoft appears to be offering the check-box solution as a way to head off a similar ending.

The company declined to comment Friday on the connection between the check boxes and the EU's preliminary decision. But in a recent quarterly filing, it said the European Commission may order PC makers to install multiple browsers on new PCs and force Microsoft to disable parts of its own Internet Explorer if people chose a competing browser.

The check boxes, which were described on Microsoft enthusiast blogs http://www.aeroxp.org and http://www.chris123nt.com, also give Windows 7 users a way to disable the media player and hard-drive search programs, among other components, both of which have drawn scrutiny from regulators.

After Windows Vista landed with a thud, Microsoft needs a hit, said Michael Cherry, an analyst for the research group Directions on Microsoft. Beyond appeasing the EU, he said he didn't see much use for the Internet Explorer check box.

"Windows 7 is becoming more and more important for Microsoft," he said in an interview. "You don't want anything that gives anyone even a doubt as to whether or not they should upgrade."
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does uhhh... Microsoft make a lot of money off of its included free internet browser (in competition with other free browsers)?

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-10-2012 at 06:25 AM.

You could uninstall WMP and IE 6 from XP... big deal.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    You could uninstall WMP and IE 6 from XP... big deal.
    Uninstalling IE in XP can cause serious system problems with your file explorer functions.
    Windows 7 makes it easy for you to configure the OS to be IE free.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Uninstalling IE in XP can cause serious system problems with your file explorer functions.
    Windows 7 makes it easy for you to configure the OS to be IE free.
    So basically, IE is in there twice now. You get to keep your file not-a-browser but your web browser comes out.

Its just retarded.
    In New Zealand:
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    Prostitution is legal

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    So basically, IE is in there twice now. You get to keep your file not-a-browser but your web browser comes out.

Its just retarded.
    Basically.
    The file explorer and IE are basically the same.
    you can surf the web straight from your c: prompt unless you've removed IE.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    Hi, I'm a Mac.
    My sister experiences a crash a day with OS X.
    I'm thinking apple should have stayed with Motorola.

Ha! If they didn't include a web browser how would users get Opera? I would love to see a novice user trying to get a browser on their new computer via ftp.

I do wish Winders would come with wget though. That's my favorite gnu-utility. I have the Win32 version on all of my machines but it'd be nice if it was included with the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Ha! If they didn't include a web browser how would users get Opera? I would love to see a novice user trying to get a browser on their new computer via ftp.

I do wish Winders would come with wget though. That's my favorite gnu-utility. I have the Win32 version on all of my machines but it'd be nice if it was included with the OS.
    I think the other browser guys wanted their browsers to come pre-packaged with the OS and the user could select their browser in the initial setup.

In the early days of windows, it was different.
    Windows had a media player and browser, but they were very basic programs.. just like notepad and paint.
    So- if you wanted to get a program with cool functions, then you'd go to the market place and find one.
    Eventually, MS made their own pre-packaged programs as functional as all the competing software and then gave it away for free.
    No one needed netscape or real player anymore.

Thus the claim in court is... microsoft was destroying all competition by giving away free products. That is bit over-simplified, but that is the arguments that began at that time.

So then who gets to decide which browsers come pre-packaged? Does wget count a browser? How about Lynx?

Windows Media Player sucks teh ass. VLC is free and far more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    So then who gets to decide which browsers come pre-packaged? Does wget count a browser? How about Lynx?

Windows Media Player sucks teh ass. VLC is free and far more flexible.
    Remember, Windows comes with a variety of different internet service provider software pre-packaged.
    Companies could pay micosoft to have the software pre-packaged.

What I hated with XP, when you remove IE from add/remove, it doesn't really remove IE. it just removed the visible icons.
    YOu have to use 3rd party software to remove it, and when you do.. it messes up your OS.
    You can get modded XP, like TinyXP and XPLite... but you still have some problems.

I never felt like I had a choice in removing it.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 03-07-2009 at 09:30 AM.

IE was just one of the reasons I switched to Linux. It can not be Uninstalled. It's too deeply integrated.
    Disabling would be good. But I had problems with it in the background. Even when it was not in use it was constantly trying to "phone home" played hell with my security programs. It constantly tried to hook to the internet even though I was not using it. I blocked it at the firewall but had constant alerts to the point that the system was unusable.
    I am happy with Linux.
    More versatile, more controllable.
    More freedom.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

With linux you get to change out your entire desktop, something that is a tricky endeavour on Windows.

I just wish they would get around to recompiling all of their own applications in 64 Bit. What is taking so long?
    In New Zealand:
    Prostitution is legal