Thread: Billion-Dollar Whoops: Buffett Apologizes

Billion-Dollar Whoops: Buffett Apologizes

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Business/E...6980506&page=1

Even the world's best-known investor couldn't get it right in 2008, apologizing to his shareholders for doing "some dumb things" with their money.

Billionaire Warren Buffett said in his annual letter to shareholders that while last year was a bad year for all investors, he made some mistakes that he now regrets.

"I made some errors of omission, sucking my thumb when new facts came in that should have caused me to reexamine my thinking and promptly take action," Buffett wrote in a letter released this morning.

During 2008, the price of Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway stock fell from $90,343 a share to $77,793.

Berkshire's 2008 net income of $4.99 billion, or $3,224 per Class A share, was down from last year's $13.21 billion, or $8,548 per share, in 2007. The company's profits fell 62 percent.

Buffett said the performance was "unsatisfactory."

Joel L. Naroff, president and founder of Naroff Economic Advisors, said Buffett is doing the right thing by acknowledging what went wrong.

"I think that's the way a good investor should operate: recognize you made some mistakes, see what they are and try to correct them going forward," Naroff said.

In his letter, Buffett recalled how 2008 was a brutal year for everybody in the market.

"By year end, investors of all stripes were bloodied and confused, much as if they were small birds that had strayed into a badminton game," Buffett said.

He added: "The watchword throughout the country became the creed I saw on restaurant walls when I was young: 'In God we trust; all others pay cash.'"

Naroff said that it's a prime example of how bad things are in the economy when someone like Buffett stumbles.

"I think when somebody as astute as Warren Buffett has problems, I think we all have to recognize that this was a real difficult year and hopefully next year won't be nearly as bad," Naroff said. "His performance was not nearly as bad as the indices did, so he outperformed them."

Buffett's predictions for 2009 aren't much rosier. He said he expects many of Berkshire's companies to be impacted by the recession and earn below their potential in 2009.

get the rest of the article at the above link.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    90 frickin' thousand dollars a share????
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Thats because there are only 300 shares (just kidding)
    Cheers,
    mark...

I wonder if Buffet got sucked into the Bubble mania.

what were they saying about schiff's performance again?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Remember how he was spouting that these banks are dirt cheap and a bargain. He never saw the big picture. I personally think he is a good keynesian investor. Knew how to go with the flow, but totally missed the boat (from intellectual point of view) when compared to Jim Rogers, Peter Schiff and anyone at Mises, when it came to understand dollar crisis.
    Cheers,
    mark...

Apparently Buffett is on record a few years ago saying that the derivatives market is extremely dangerous and has the potential to cause an utter financial meltdown. Yet he apparently has a large investment in derivatives himself. Do what I say, not what I do?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    rofl!

Anyone who knew anything about it knew it was a gigantic ponzi scheme. The only thing is people were still making lots of money on it, so only few people were willing to publicly say anything about it.
    Cheers,
    mark...

Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Don't bad mouth buffet... i have in the past and been told on these forums (paraphrasing), "he's a genious and who the f#ck are you to criticize him?"

this was after i posted that i thought he was an idiot following his IOUSA roundtable where his reasoning for the USA being fine boiled down to... "this is America!"

Hahahahaha

did I remember correctly that Buffet had bought a bunch of financials since the drop???
    "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."--Thomas Jefferson

more on Buffett from Bloomberg

You might enjoy this short YT clip I did re: Buffett...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FUW-hNsfys

regards,

Jacob
    AwakenSafely YouTube Channel

I challenge anyone to put up a long term successful investing track record over decades, against ANYONE else, in comparison to Warren.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    I challenge anyone to put up a long term successful investing track record over decades, against ANYONE else, in comparison to Warren.
    see what i mean? (view my previous post)

Quote Originally Posted by surf View Post
    see what i mean? (view my previous post)
    I'm assuming he is being sarcastic.
    If you blow your entire fortune in a year, it matters not how well you did the previous 50 years.

I like this quote he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Buffett
    "Beware the investment activity that produces applause," Buffett wrote, "the great moves are usually greeted by yawns."
    Cheers,
    mark...

I'm assuming he is being sarcastic.
    If you blow your entire fortune in a year, it matters not how well you did the previous 50 years.
    Wrong assumptions from you, as usual. What's the current share price of BRKA? What was it when he bought the company and adopted the name?
    Last edited by Truth Warrior; 03-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Wrong assumptions from you, as usual.
    Well, you can't blame me for wanting to believe you have some intelligence.
    At least, I try to assume the best.

Well, you can't blame me for wanting to believe you have some intelligence.
    Nice contextomy there. And dishonest to boot. I have VERY low expectations from politician wannabes. Based on our experiences, you've done NOTHING to raise them.

Unless we're talking about anarchy, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by danberkeley View Post
    Unless we're talking about anarchy, of course.
    Do you trust everyone in your city to not infringe upon your property rights??
    Will you leave your life savings on your front porch at night?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice contextomy there. And dishonest to boot. I have VERY low expectations from politician wannabes. Based on our experiences, you've done NOTHING to raise them.
    You don't know me. SO try again.

Do you trust everyone in your city to not infringe upon your property rights??
    Will you leave your life savings on your front porch at night?
    No. That's why we would have protection services. Would you trust the politicians running a minarchy?

Quote Originally Posted by danberkeley View Post
    No. That's why we would have protection services. Would you trust the politicians running a minarchy?
    If it was a local government, I'd trust them because if they $#@! me, I know where they live.

If it was a local government, I'd trust them because if they $#@! me, I know where they live.
    You know where your mayor lives, where your governor lives, where your president lives, where your senators live, where your representative lives...