Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth ATV and Dirt Bikes Banned by CPSIA

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so chinese date rape laced toys are fine.. but atv's and motorcycles??

wtf is that?
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

LOL...It never ceases to amaze me the lengths our 'benevolent' gov't of this 'free' country will go to protect our liberties.

So who wants to be the first to tell little Johnny he can't have one of these for his birthday.

Reality is independent of Popularity.

That is just friggin' stupid.
    What about Snowmobiles? Nothing was mentioned but they are common here.
    It is tradition.

Last edited by pcosmar; 02-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

And lead bullets? Hmmmm?

Toilets that won't flush, light bulbs that won't light, ATVs that well, just can't be...and it goes on and on and $#@!ing on.

Meanwhile, the banksters are robbing the treasury to the tune of TRILLIONS right under our $#@!ing noses.

Jesus weeping Christ people, are you angry enough YET????!!!!!

What the $#@! is it going to take, huh?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Motorcycle Industry Council and Specialty Vehicle Institute of America Rally Against Youth ATV and Motorcycle Prohibition
    - Visit MIC Booth 4705 to Assist in Reaching Out to Legislators -

INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 12, 2009 - The Motorcycle Industry Council and the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America are doing all they can at Dealer Expo 2009, and at their offices, to help get youth ATVs and motorcycles back on showroom floors. The U.S. Government banned sales of many of these models, beginning on Tuesday, under the lead-content provisions of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).

"We're implementing a full court press at the Dealer Expo," said Paul Vitrano, general counsel for the MIC and SVIA. "We are rallying everyone at Indy. Pre-printed letters to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which can be signed and we'll send in, will be available throughout the show. Computers will be available in the MIC business center so that dealers and exhibitors can easily make their opinions known to members of Congress."

Everyone is encouraged to visit the Web site of Americans for Responsible Recreational Access, at www.ARRA-access.com, which features a letter generator for constituents to reach their own members of Congress. The MIC also is alerting stakeholders about a new Web site that state Rep. Tom Self of Missouri has launched in support of youth off-highway vehicles. The site, at www.tomself.com, offers e-mail templates to simplify sending messages to members of Congress with oversight of the CPSC.

For weeks, the MIC and SVIA have urged the CPSC to grant (and for members of Congress to support) petitions for temporary exclusions so that youth models could continue to be sold. The powersports industry demonstrated in the petitions, through the scientific analysis required by the CPSIA, that the lead-containing parts of youth ATVs and motorcycles pose no risk of increasing the lead levels in children aged 12 and younger.

On Feb. 5, the CPSC denied a request for an emergency stay, made by the National Association of Manufacturers CPSC Coalition, and joined by the MIC and SVIA. The CPSC stated that it did not have authority under the law to grant such a stay.

The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, however, includes provisions that enable the CPSC to grant exclusions for products on a case-by-case basis. The MIC and SVIA believe that the lead-content provisions of the act, which originally were aimed at toys that can be mouthed by children, were never intended to apply to youth ATVs and motorcycles.

On Feb. 10, the lead-content provisions of the CPSIA went into effect. Powersports companies are now prohibited from selling products that are intended primarily for youth, aged 12 and under, and having lead content in excess of the limits identified in the act.

The impact of this act is far-reaching. Applying the new lead-content regulations to youth models has resulted in many smaller models being unavailable to families, and could mean more children riding adult-only ATVs or dirt bikes that are too large for them.

Most of the components making up youth powersports products are in compliance. But some parts unavoidably contain small quantities of lead in excess of the CPSIA limits, such as the valve stems on the tires, the aluminum in some brake components and the terminals on the batteries. Lead in these components is necessary, either because small amounts of lead are needed for safety (such as machining the deep grooves on tire valves, which is needed to assure tire air retention) or functionality (such as the lead in battery terminals, which is needed to conduct electricity).

"It's critical for everyone within the business, and for all of our customers, to step up and support the petitions now in front of the CPSC," Vitrano said. "The ban is harming motorcycling and ATV riding right now. Dealernews has estimated that affected inventories could be more than $100 million. Kids don't have a chance to get on the bikes and ATVs sized for them. We need the power and voice of the industry, as well as enthusiasts, to reinforce our concerns in Washington. We're only asking for common-sense exclusions for powersports parts that simply do not present any risk to children in the real world. Kids don't lick or eat ATV and motorcycle components."

I got a kick out of listening to some war veteran today talk about all the veterans that live into their 90's with lead in them.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Jesus weeping Christ people, are you angry enough YET????!!!!!

What the $#@! is it going to take, huh?
    I have been angry for sometime now, but it's like anyone I say stuff to just says "oh well, it will work it's self out".
    I want to fight for this crap but, I don't want to be 1 of 300 taking on millions.
    damn sheep.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpwilhelm View Post
    I have been angry for sometime now, but it's like anyone I say stuff to just says "oh well, it will work it's self out".
    I want to fight for this crap but, I don't want to be 1 of 300 taking on millions.
    damn sheep.
    Yeah, I know the feeling.

I was venting, but really, FFS, what more is going to take?
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

I guess folks will just have to get the kids Full sized machines then.

Here ya go kids, have fun.

Stupid friggin' nanny staters.
    Isn't the CPSA responsible for all the Idiot proofing on nearly everything?
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-20-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

yeah, have you ever noticed they don't put swings at playgrounds anymore, or god forbid a junglegym.

Baddest...Machine...EVER!!!

I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I guess folks will just have to get the kids Full sized machines then.

Here ya go kids, have fun.

Stupid friggin' nanny staters.
    Isn't the CPSA responsible for all the Idiot proofing on nearly everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Baddest...Machine...EVER!!!

I want one!
    Naw, I grew up with a Snowplane in the yard. 200 hp allison and a 5' prop'
    120 mph with no brakes.
    now that's fun.

similar to this

How did we ever survive childhood.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 02-21-2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I'm building one of these for next year's season...

I love the Neon frame, I don't know whether to race that class, or take an old 84 Merc beater I've got out back and run that in the street stock 8 cylinder class.

Lee Pond NH, 25 Jan this year.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ice racing.

my wife still can't get the hang of driving on the stuff.

Neon is front wheel drive. gives an edge over the rear wheel cars.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Pete and I are hijacking this thread (temporarily) for winter insanity.

Which I define as having no engine and going 140 MPH.

Ice racing.

my wife still can't get the hang of driving on the stuff.

Neon is front wheel drive. gives an edge over the rear wheel cars.
    Yeah, they are raced in different classes. The RWD 4 cylinder US class, which has a lot Mustang IIs and Pintos, which is about all there is to choose from.

The FWD 4 cylinder any make, lots of Hondas, Toyotas and Neons. Now, I have a 99 Neon in the daily driver fleet, it is a damn fine little car, great handling, lots of low end torque for 2000cc engine, real nice gear ration in the AT model (this was changed after 99, and the ratios were all fouled up). I'd have to buy another to race it.

Or there is a RWD 8 cylinder US class, which also allows PUs.

I can sling a RWD through some snow and ice, if I do say so myself.

Then there's these guys...

Too rich for me.

Yeah, but this stuff wasn't thought up by kids that were overprotected,shielded and coddled.
    It is not safe, That is half the fun.

I never wore a helmet as a kid. I fell out of trees. jumped off of roofs. swam in the river ( as soon as it thawed) slid down hills on a trash can lid.
    I had fun.

They are stealing that from kids now.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Yeah, but this stuff wasn't thought up by kids that were overprotected,shielded and coddled.
    It is not safe, That is half the fun.

I never wore a helmet as a kid. I fell out of trees. jumped off of roofs. swam in the river ( as soon as it thawed) slid down hills on a trash can lid.
    I had fun.

They are stealing that from kids now.
    What's sad is the parents are the ones who, back in their flaming yoot, would not think twice to drop acid, drink and drive, or do any of the other, more sane things you mentioned.

Hypocrites.

Makes me wish i had kids to teach this crazy stuff to.

ouch.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I do, thats why I am pissed. I just linned up 2 50cc hondas I am getting for my kids that are only 1 and 2. Guess I will just need to hang on to them 3-4 more years till they can use them. The hard thing will be finding the 80cc bikes for when they are older. What a joke.

I wounder what pit bike racers are going to do now.

Black Market Bikes.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thumbs up

Anti-federalist and I are on the same page.

[Federal] Government can't protect people from themselves - Ron Paul 8/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXYUE2jwPBo
    ‎"dancing... is a healthy exercise, elegant and very attractive..." ~ Thomas Jefferson, March 14, 1818

They hate us for our policies, not our freedoms.

I guess I'll have to let my little nephews learn to ride dirtbikes on my CRF450. That shouldn't be too much for them.

We can no longer teach our boys to be men and do man things. They all need to learn to sit quietly with the girls in school and be a bunch of pussies...now SHUT UP!

On a serious note, now you'll have people modifying the suspension on 80's and 125's to get around this.
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover

yeah, have you ever noticed they don't put swings at playgrounds anymore, or god forbid a junglegym.
    THey still have swings. Just not swings with wooden seats that knock you unconscious when they hit your sorry butt.

I have mixed emotions about that, because the plastic slings swings are not comfortable, but as a parent..sigh.

The disappearance of teeter-totters is what chaps my arse.

Great article.
    I swear that all this "protection" is gonna kill us.
    Large inventories of motorcycle and ATV products that present no health risk to children could be rendered retroactively illegal and future products prohibited from sale. Motorcycle and ATV components containing lead include lead battery terminals, tire valve stems, fittings and connectors made with brass or copper alloys, brake and clutch levers, throttle controls, engine housings, carburetors made with aluminum alloys, steel fasteners, and frames or structural components made with steel alloys. No one would argue that keeping lead away from our children is a worthwhile concern, but this blanket law doesn't take into account that the lead contained in these types of vehicles could never be ingested by a child and are in such small levels that it would never affect children. Not only that, but other products that our children use every day, such as the family car, tricycles, bicycles etc. also obviously contain lead. Can we really believe that we can protect our children from every hint of danger, no matter how small and insignificant? And, do we really think it is up to the government to regulate what is considered OK and what is not all the time? Perhaps a ban on cars, or the school bus they ride in every day should be included in the ban! Some may ask, if the government is protecting your children then what do you have against it? The answer seems obvious! Spending tax dollars for this type of "protection" is just plain ridiculous. When does it become OUR responsibility to protect us and our children? Of course we all want safety for our kids, but it's not always the government's place to step in and do this. Let's leave room for a little common sense and variety here! Please!
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast