Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton Friedman

Milton Friedman

what is your feeling on friedman?

personally, i think his greatest attribute was his libertarian views. He was a small L libertarian and matches my beliefs quite well.

However, im not quite sold on his claim to fame.....supply side economics. He was much more moderate than Keynes though. he believed in very very small inflation just enough to keep the money supply from contracting.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like his son David MUCH better.

PBS TV Series "Free to Choose" by Economist Milton Friedman
    http://miltonfriedman.blogspot.com/
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Von Mises was the definitive on Economics as far I am concerned... but Friedman was awesome..

I enjoyed him more than Murray Rothbard, I will admit.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

isnt it funny how bush, reagan and all other conservatives talk so much about their admiration for Friedman yet they are so authoritarian....

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    isnt it funny how bush, reagan and all other conservatives talk so much about their admiration for Friedman yet they are so authoritarian....
    just like they talk of being Goldwater Conservatives, even though they cursed his name til the day he died..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    just like they talk of being Goldwater Conservatives, even though they cursed his name til the day he died..
    QFT!!!
    i have a bunch of neocons in my PLS class and they namedrop Goldwater hardcore......dont worry, i call them on it

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    QFT!!!
    i have a bunch of neocons in my PLS class and they namedrop Goldwater hardcore......dont worry, i call them on it
    its the proper thing to do..

Goldwater would..

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ronald Reagan gives Milton Friedman a bad name. Friedman advocated honest fiat money because he thought that the gold standard was always undermined by banks who counterfeit their bills.
    you can buy now using an elevated dollar to get in on things that are poised to go way up when the dollar collapses. If he's right, and I think he is, his profits are going to be ridiculous. I've already showed by referencing some mining stocks that you can make a killing in this market playing Schiff's investment strategy.

-theoakman, RPF 1/26/09.

Oh what a difference 10 months makes. Deflationists, where are thou?

Scum imo.

How the fck can you call Chicago School of Economics - in ANYWAY Capitalistic?

5th plank of the Communist Manifesto was his homeboy.

The Chicago school is a barrier to people finding the REAL FREE MARKET SCHOOL.

The world would be in a lot better shape if Chicago school didn't exist. Then the ass clowns wouldn't use it in Uni Courses and if they actually wanted to appear SANE they'd show the alternative, the Austrian School. Which is pretty much beyond reproach.

Quote Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
    Ronald Reagan gives Milton Friedman a bad name. Friedman advocated honest fiat money because he thought that the gold standard was always undermined by banks who counterfeit their bills.
    No such thing as HONEST fiat money.

I suggest you read Ron Paul's Gold, Peace & Prosperity.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post
    Scum imo.

The world would be in a lot better shape if Chicago school didn't exist. Then the ass clowns wouldn't use it in Uni Courses and if they actually wanted to appear SANE they'd show the alternative, the Austrian School. Which is pretty much beyond reproach.

I cannot argue with this.. he was confused about a couple things to say the least....I think, however, he was headed in the right direction.

He was a bulwark for freedom, and though I don't agree with him on everything, you can be sure if he was still alive we would not be heading where we are today. (I voted for him as one of the three people I wish were alive for liberty's sake in that one thread.)

Interesting paper here: Is Milton a Keynesian?
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Milton Friedman did a lot to turn people towards free markets.

Although he didn't exactly rally against the Fed he didn't really support it either:

The difference between me and people like Murray Rothbard is that, though I want to know what my ideal is, I think I also have to be willing to discuss changes that are less than ideal so long as they point me in that direction. So while I'd like to abolish the Fed, I've written many pages on how the Fed, if it does exist, should be run. -Milton Friedman

Even better would be to abolish the Fed and mandate the Treasury to keep highpowered money at a constant numerical level. -Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    Although he didn't exactly rally against the Fed he didn't really support it either:

The difference between me and people like Murray Rothbard is that, though I want to know what my ideal is, I think I also have to be willing to discuss changes that are less than ideal so long as they point me in that direction. So while I'd like to abolish the Fed, I've written many pages on how the Fed, if it does exist, should be run. -Milton Friedman

Even better would be to abolish the Fed and mandate the Treasury to keep highpowered money at a constant numerical level. -Milton Friedman
    If you can't see that not abolishing the Fed won't solve anything, you aren't worth your weight in salt.

3-5% inflation per annum = 3-5% THEFT of the VALUE of YOUR MONEY.

Makes you still a criminal in my book... only difference is you say you only want to take 5% and leave me alone... we all know that's bs though. You'll take what you can. Thats part of the institution.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Worthy Threads:

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    PBS TV Series "Free to Choose" by Economist Milton Friedman
    http://miltonfriedman.blogspot.com/
    I never missed that show!

If you can't see that not abolishing the Fed won't solve anything, you aren't worth your weight in salt.

3-5% inflation per annum = 3-5% THEFT of the VALUE of YOUR MONEY.

Makes you still a criminal in my book... only difference is you say you only want to take 5% and leave me alone... we all know that's bs though. You'll take what you can. Thats part of the institution.
    It's a tax, and if you keep the tax small and consistent, it doesn't create malinvestment, doesn't send the market false signals, and doesn't distort prices. We have plenty of examples of successful economies where inflation was purposely kept low. It's not about gold. It's about honest money. If you are steadily inflating at a low level, it is honest. Besides, the argument of inflating at 3% a year against the gold standard doesn't even hold much water. The supply of gold increases at about 2% a year.
    you can buy now using an elevated dollar to get in on things that are poised to go way up when the dollar collapses. If he's right, and I think he is, his profits are going to be ridiculous. I've already showed by referencing some mining stocks that you can make a killing in this market playing Schiff's investment strategy.

-theoakman, RPF 1/26/09.

It's a tax, and if you keep the tax small and consistent, it doesn't create malinvestment, doesn't send the market false signals, and doesn't distort prices. We have plenty of examples of successful economies where inflation was purposely kept low. It's not about gold. It's about honest money. If you are steadily inflating at a low level, it is honest. Besides, the argument of inflating at 3% a year against the gold standard doesn't even hold much water. The supply of gold increases at about 2% a year.
    Get $#@!ed it's "honest."

Fiat money can only exists through LIES and DECEPTION.

You CANNOT build a fiat currency on its own. It has ALWAYS had to be backed by something, and then over time it was devalued and then backed by nothing.

Fiat money within the Fed System will never remain at those levels. As Ron Paul demonstrates in his Gold, Peace, Prosperity - the urge to print is too great.

Btw, do you realise where you are?

You're indirectly defending the FED, on a Ron Paul forum... lol

Worthy Threads:

I read that Milton Friedman was responsible for introducing the concept of payroll tax withholding to the criminals in DC. That doesn't really appear to be something someone who especially valued freedom would do. If the people actually knew how much they were being directly taxed, things never would've never got to this point.
    Last edited by gls; 02-19-2009 at 09:03 AM.

I'm not militant against Milton Friedman and monetarism like some, let alone the entire Chicago school (monetarism + new classical macro/rational expectations). Monetarists okay, as a group. Some are quite exceptional (e.g. Anna J. Schwartz) and others I would consider to be not that great (e.g. Greenspan), which is quite an understatement. The rational expectations school is excellent for mainstream economics, their way of thinking is light years ahead of Keynes, the school is basically a mathematical revival of post-marginal classical economics. All mainstream schools still view capital as an aggregate, which is obviously ridiculous and all schools use too much mathematics instead straight logic, which also is quite absurd.

Get $#@!ed it's "honest."

Fiat money can only exists through LIES and DECEPTION.

You CANNOT build a fiat currency on its own. It has ALWAYS had to be backed by something, and then over time it was devalued and then backed by nothing.

Fiat money within the Fed System will never remain at those levels. As Ron Paul demonstrates in his Gold, Peace, Prosperity - the urge to print is too great.

Btw, do you realise where you are?

You're indirectly defending the FED, on a Ron Paul forum... lol
    you don't understand what Friedman advocated. He wanted a computer to control the money supply. That's out of human hands. It's backed by the faith. Milton Friedman was not an advocate of running the printing presses. If you've ever read my posts, I'm a 100% advocate of the gold standard. But I'm not going to act like adopting Friedman's policies wouldn't provide a solid foundation for a strong healthy economy that would outperform every other country in the world.
    Last edited by theoakman; 02-19-2009 at 10:34 AM.

-theoakman, RPF 1/26/09.

you don't understand what Friedman advocated. He wanted a computer to control the money supply. That's out of human hands. It's backed by the faith. Milton Friedman was not an advocate of running the printing presses. If you've ever read my posts, I'm a 100% advocate of the gold standard. But I'm not going to act like adopting Friedman's policies wouldn't provide a solid foundation for a strong healthy economy that would outperform every other country in the world.
    Some people just won't get it. Your points were valid and well-received by those who can think objectively.

some people are way too militant about the gold standard. Forcing people to adhere to a gold standard and nothing else is still imposing on freedom. Why can't you have both?

-theoakman, RPF 1/26/09.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    some people are way too militant about the gold standard. Forcing people to adhere to a gold standard and nothing else is still imposing on freedom. Why can't you have both?
    Might as well ban IOUs as well. Don't want to allow to free people to make a voluntary exchange based solely on the the trust in the integrity of one of the parties.

This is my problem with some of the "militant" 'gold is the only allowable money' and 'fractional reserve banking should be completely outlawed'. This is still government coercion! Don't get me wrong, I understand and agree with all the arguments against fiat money and fractional reserve banking, but the moral issue is the government mandates and threats backing them up, not the systems themselves. If people are free to choose to use gold as money (or take IOUs from people they trust), and fully understand the the risks involved, then so be it.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Scum imo.

Chill the hell down, he was better than most. Every time you post it's like you had a really bad day.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." -- Winston Churchill

Damn proud Classical Liberal/Minarchist!

Friedman on the Fed

"We don't need a Fed. I have, for many years, been in favor of replacing the Fed with a computer." Each year, it "would print out a specified number of paper dollars" to augment the money supply. "Same number, month after month, week after week, year after year."
    A good man, please don't disparage him further

I do get it. What you don't get is, the proposal is like something out of Zeitgeist Addendum's technocracy.

It's either Private control of the means of production, or public control. Either one.

Who enters the statistics, who writes the code, formula, inputs data? All this bull$#@!. You think that would stop the International Bankers? It'd probably help them out... lol.

Why would you trust the government with your money? Sorry, but I go better than a gold standard = free market in money, the way it's been for most of history. I dunno I guess my standards are just too high with everything; but more accurately I VALUE JUSTICE and the TRUTH too much.

Worthy Threads:

I asked my economics professor today if he was a Keynesian and he said he followed the Chicago School of Economics.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Orlonater View Post
    Chill the hell down, he was better than most. Every time you post it's like you had a really bad day.
    I usually have awesome days.

Not the last few days though... severe fever does that too ya. So I've probably been more fiercy and less tolerant than usual. lol...

I should ease up on milton I guess... he's like Ayn Rand. They're good for bringing people to the overall basic level of Liberty... but the person is screwed in the long run if all they do is stay there and don't learn about the Austrian School.

Worthy Threads:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast