Thread: Pamphlet series on the issues

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries

Pamphlet series on the issues

Heiwa (Jen) posted this in another thread and I thought it was worth starting a new one on- below is her idea:

One approach is a series of small pamphlets addressing issues - iraq, health care, immigration, etc. with his quotes and facts to back it up (a paper version of your videos).

Something that I would really love is to have a weekly huge conference call with him, where each call has a topic. Then we can e-mail questions to have answered. It would be a great way to introduce people to him too - hey, why don't you come over to my house on Thursday - we're gonna call Ron Paul and talk about...

I've been looking into ways to do it - I don't know if it's a good idea or not though...

Anyway, thanks!
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpos...3&postcount=12

I've been working on a pamphlet already so I'll start on some of these afterwards. Anyone else interested?

Thanks Jen!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Count me in!

I don't have a lot of time until mid-July when I finish my current job, but if you give me a topic, I'll look for quotes on the topic, as well as supporting facts. I will consider it time exceedingly well spent.

Maybe we could do it as a group (I'm living in Japan right now, they know how to do group activities!) and do one topic a week or 10 days.

Once we have a format that works, we can just plug and play.

Woohoo! Thanks for this - except for Skyping everyone I know back home (4 of my friends have already agreed to register Republican to vote for Dr. Paul), I have been wanting to help with something.

You know, if we have time, it might be cool to do a set of pamphlets on the articles of the Constitution. I would really enjoy researching that - I have a lot to learn. I can't wait to come home so I can really dig in!

Ron Paul, Founding Fathers on gun control and the right to bear arms.

Hello All,

Here is my first collection of quotes. I'm wondering what size the pamphlet should be. I think it might be cool to make them look like the pamphlets they used to write back in the 1700's. Here's are a couple of links to pictures of pamphlets Ben Franklin and Thomas Paine wrote...

http://www.explorepahistory.com/imag...h6b8-a_349.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Commonsense.jpg

In fact, "Common Sense" might be the perfect title for the series... What do you think?

And Bryan, thank you. I just spent an amazing afternoon learning about the right to bear arms.

Jen

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I tend to agree with Charlton Heston, who recently said that the Constitution's Second Amendment is the most important. Without the ability to protect themselves and their property, discussion of any other rights is only so much talk.
    A gun in the hand of a law-abiding citizen serves as a very real, very important deterrent to an arrogant and aggressive government. Guns in the hands of the bureaucrats do the opposite. The founders of this country fully understood this fact, it's a shame our generation has ignored it
    Congressman Ron Paul, Congressional speech, October 20, 1998

The Second amendment is not about hunting deer or keeping a pistol in your nightstand. It is not about protecting oneself against common criminals. It is about preventing tyranny. The Founders knew that unarmed citizens would never be able to overthrow a tyrannical government as they did. They envisioned government as a servant, not a master, of the American people. The muskets they used against the British Army were the assault rifles of the time. It is practical, rather than alarmist, to understand that unarmed citizens cannot be secure in their freedoms. It's convenient for gun banners to dismiss this argument by saying "That could never happen here, this is America・ but history shows that only vigilant people can keep government under control. By banning certain weapons today, we may plant the seeds for tyranny to flourish ten, thirty, or fifty years from now.

Congressman Ron Paul, Congressional speech, April 21, 2003

We must recognize an important historical point. There are more restrictions on the sale, ownership and use of firearms today than at any time in history. Just fifty years ago, anyone could purchase weapons from most store catalogues for home delivery by US Mail. And yet fifty years ago we did not have school shootings. In fact, the number of incidents involving at-school violence with firearms has increased as the number of federal laws and regulations have increased.
    Congressman Ron Paul, Congressional speech, June 14, 1999

Rated A by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record.
    Source: NRA website 02n-NRA on Dec 31, 2003

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    THOMAS JEFFERSON, Proposal for a Virginia Constitution,
    1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J. Boyd, Ed. 1950)

"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full possession of them."
    ZACHARIA JOHNSON, 3 Elliot,
    Debates at 646.

"A free people ought...to be armed..."
    GEORGE WASHINGTON,
    speech
    of Jan. 7, 1790 in the Boston Independent Chronicle, Jan. 14,1790.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    ALEXANDER HAMILTON, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."
    PATRICK HENRY, 3 Elliot, Debates at 386.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind.
    Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    THOMAS JEFFERSON,
    Encyclopedia of T. Jefferson, 318 (Foley, Ed.,1967)

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand, arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside... Horrid mischief would
    ensue were one half the world deprived of the use of them..."
    THOMAS PAINE,
    I Writings of Thomas Paine at 56 (1894)

"Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in our possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted more
    propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hand?"
    PATRICK HENRY, 3 Elliot Debates 168-169.

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots
    and tyrants."
    THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to William S. Smith,
    1787, in S. Padover (Ed.), Jefferson, On Democracy (1939), p. 20.