Thread: The internet as a Schumpeterian shock

The internet as a Schumpeterian shock

Is the internet a Schumpeterian Shock? With the wealth of information and knowledge at everyone's fingertips the internet has made the knowledge gap very tiny. If you don't know Google it. This, I posit, has effected the economy and the employment structure. Bosses are no longer more knowledgeable than employees. Anyone can do it now. The information has rattled the cage of those who seek to limit the flow of ideas. Ideas are almost free now.

During the great Depression electrification of the world also allowed ideas to flow easier and productivity to increase. Of course this is not the only reason the employment structure may have been affected. I would just like to get a conversation going.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    Is the internet a Schumpeterian Shock? With the wealth of information and knowledge at everyone's fingertips the internet has made the knowledge gap very tiny. If you don't know Google it. This, I posit, has effected the economy and the employment structure. Bosses are no longer more knowledgeable than employees. Anyone can do it now. The information has rattled the cage of those who seek to limit the flow of ideas. Ideas are almost free now.

During the great Depression electrification of the world also allowed ideas to flow easier and productivity to increase. Of course this is not the only reason the employment structure may have been affected. I would just like to get a conversation going.
    My one caveat is most people who use the Internet use the Internet for entertainment purposes or social networking. Very few of us use the Internet to increase our knowledge.

does this have a 10% to 90% ratio between the very serious and the very entertaining?