Thread: The most important article of the Constitution, and the most important amendment

User requested to be banned for time reasons

The most important article of the Constitution, and the most important amendment

So my poli sci homework is the title and why. I'm kind of not sure so any ideas would be great!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2nd amendment is the most important by far..

this amendment is one by which you protect the rest..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Article I, Section 8 is the most important in the original. I concur w/ Kotin as far as the second amendment goes.
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

nt
    Last edited by Live_Free_Or_Die; 11-20-2009 at 06:50 PM.

I personally think freedom of the press is the most important.
    Without that you can't say bad but true things about the gov't.

As for the Const. main body:
    The only thing I can think of is the "copyright" law.
    It has been used, not within the spirit, to supress facts because they are under "copyright".

I don't think you can say that any one article is more important than any other and I think it's a slippery slope to do so.

I don't know about the best but I do think that the 'general welfare' clause is the worst and very abused.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Habeas Corpus? (Section 9, Limits on Congress) (Quite frankly I think they should have left off the whole part about "except in the case of public safety"... opened the door to considerable fear mongering and abuse).

I really dug Olberman's rant on the subject. It showed quite clearly how all of your other rights stem from habeas corpus. If you don't have habeas corpus you have no rights at all.

As far as the most important amendment....

I would say the 10th Amendment because this is the one to me that ties it all together. Of course the problem with the 10th Amendment is that it is usually ignored or weakened by the supposed "general welfare".

Ok so probably not great answers but these stand out as important to me.
    We have two major parties [in America], the stupid party and the evil party. Every once in a while they manage to work together and we call it "bipartisanship".
    ~Thomas Woods, Rally for the Republic

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe the 2nd amendment is the most important, because it guarantees the rest, but the 10th would have to be a close second. If it weren't completely ignored.

Article 7 and Amendment X.<IMHO>