Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Let's Abolish Government" by Lysander Spooner

"Let's Abolish Government" by Lysander Spooner

"Let's Abolish Government"
    by Lysander Spooner

Lysander Spooner (1808-1887) is the American individualist anarchist and legal theorist, known mainly for setting up a commercial post office in competition with the government and thereby being shut down. But he was also the author of some of the most radical political and economic writings of the 19th century, and continues to have a huge influence on libertarian thinkers today. He was both a dedicated opponent of slavery in all its form, even going so far as to advocate guerrilla war to stop it, but also a dedicated opponent of the federal invasion of the South and its postwar reconstruction.

This collection was selected personally by Murray Rothbard as his best work. It includes "Trial by Jury," which argues for the idea of jury nullification, that is, the right of the jury to reject the law under which a defendant is tried. It also includes his "Letter to Grover Cleveland," which remains one of the most rigorous pieces of political argument ever penned. Finally, it includes his classic work "No Treason," which argues that the U.S. Constitution is not a social contract at all and that it cannot bind the current generation.

Spooner was obviously a great dissident -- and one of the most brilliant thinkers of the 19th century and an American original. His influence has been quiet but very long and pervasive.

The title here is of Rothbard's own choosing, but it sums up the theme of his best work.

419 pages, paperback, 2008
    http://www.mises.org/store/Lets-Abol...ment-P473.aspx

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I doubt many here will pay attention to this , but thanks for posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I doubt many here will pay attention to this , but thanks for posting it.
    Sadly, your doubts seem to be correct AND you are welcome.

~bump~ so more can read it.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

~bump~ so more can read it.
    Thanks!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thank for posting AND bumping I missed it.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    You're welcome. I'm glad you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    y/w for the bump! ~hug~

I have this book in my cart at the Misesorg store, along with about $300 worth of books. When I get my tax return I'll probably buy at least a few of those books.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspun View Post
    I have this book in my cart at the Misesorg store, along with about $300 worth of books. When I get my tax return I'll probably buy at least a few of those books.
    Personally I use the free PDFs whenever possible. And just buy the books not otherwise available. More bang for the bucks that way.

Thanks!

~bump~ for stragglers.

Let's Abolish Anarchists

Move to Somalia, you spoon-fed crybabies of Spooner.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    pshhh! No thanks. I'm fine where I am. Keep your government to yourself, and I'll be fine.

Take your MINORITY of ~100 MILLION voters to Somalia and straighten THOSE folks out. The rest of us here would REALLY appreciate the needed rest, reprieve and getting on with our lives without ALL of you.

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/79836
    Last edited by Truth Warrior; 02-07-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Warrior View Post
    Take your MINORITY of ~100 MILLION voters to Somalia and straighten THOSE folks out. The rest of us here would REALLY appreciate the needed rest, reprieve and getting on with our lives without ALL of you.

Another good idea.

Want No Government? Move!

Constitutional republicans were here first before the cultic anarchists invaded our society. You're going to have to get used to the fact that we're always going to have civil government, and people like myself will continue to fight for its legitimacy, even if we have to give our lives, fortunes, and scared honor for it, as our Founders did.

If you want an anarchy, go live in a jungle.
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Another good idea.
    "The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." ~ Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

Constitutional republicans were here first before the cultic anarchists invaded our society. You're going to have to get used to the fact that we're always going to have civil government, and people like myself will continue to fight for its legitimacy, even if we have to give our lives, fortunes, and scared honor for it, as our Founders did.

You demonstrate such a poor understanding of anarchism that it's extremely difficult to take you seriously. What have you read on this subject, outside of RPF posts?

Hmmmm, I just gotta say that's REALLY a cause to wonder what ELSE you tend to OFTEN misunderstand and don't quite "get".

Index to the Antifederalist Papers
    http://www.wepin.com/articles/afp/index.htm

Perhaps you should have just voted for McCain. Since you obviously don't even come CLOSE to understanding Ron.

"Visit LewRockwell.com, an outstanding and crucially important Web site I visit every day." -- Ron Paul.
    "THE REVOLUTION, A MANIFESTO" ( page # 158 ), http://www.lewrockwell.com/

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html
    Last edited by Truth Warrior; 02-08-2009 at 08:15 AM.

'Lysander Spooner once said that he believed "that by false interpretations, and naked usurpations, the government has been made in practice a very widely, and almost wholly, different thing from what the Constitution itself purports to authorize." At the same time, he could not exonerate the Constitution, for it "has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." It is hard to argue with that.' -- Thomas E. Woods Jr

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should have just voted for McCain. Since you obviously don't even come CLOSE to understanding Ron.
    Ron is not an anarchist, in case you didn't notice.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    case
    http://www.caseheritage.org/

forum guidelines

+ Thread starters who are promoting their own material will be limited to two personal thread bumps.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=22
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Please do not fight for the legitimacy of a state funded by theft.

Peace.

Thou Shalt Not STEAL, VIII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast