Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come no one on RPF has been complaining about the TV converter coupons?

Thumbs down How come no one on RPF has been complaining about the TV converter coupons?

Or maybe they have and I didn't notice. But the government is handing out $40 coupons to help people buy digital converter boxes.

Sure I will take the coupon, I don't begrudge anyone else on here taking it either. Otherwise we are just paying for everyone else to watch tv. Might as well get some of what the government stole from us back.

However if up to me nobody would get a coupon including myself. This is so patently ridiculous. I can understand the motivation at least and sympathize with wanting to feed people and $#@!, but TV?

Someone I mentioned it too said that "Well, alot of old people on SS watch TV and could not afford it.?"

So? This is my problem how?

What if an old person has a converter box but their tv breaks one day. Should we buy them a new goddamn TV?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I actually meant to post this in general politics, mods please move if you feel the need.

it's no more worse than the fact the government already controls the airwaves, or else they'd not care. They'd not even have the power to switch us over if they didn't.

the fact is, they depend on using tv to keep us calm, and they feel they owe us a favor to help us switch over to the new tube, does this mean TV converter boxes will be making good money YES, but that's what we knew already anyway.

those in power kept these things in status quo, so they intend keep it that way (oops, double talk)

I did!.

I think I was the only to bitch about it detail and the frigin ripoff it all is to people! Yeah I also have a RF Engineering degree/experience.

I'm too tired, toasted, and busy killing brain cells with SNL right now to find my posts.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    I did!.

I think I was the only to bitch about it detail and the frigin ripoff it all is to people! Yeah I also have a RF Engineering degree/experience.

I'm too tired, toasted, and busy killing brain cells with SNL right now to find my posts.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...08#post1937008

I heard that the money for these coupons will come from the money government will be making from auctioning off the analog broadcasting frequencies, so these coupons won't cost the taxpayers money. But that's just what I heard and I have no source - maybe someone else can verify.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    I heard that the money for these coupons will come from the money government will be making from auctioning off the analog broadcasting frequencies, so these coupons won't cost the taxpayers money. But that's just what I heard and I have no source - maybe someone else can verify.
    Well, it still is costing us money, because instead of doing this the government could use the money to pay off the debt or return it to the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Well, it still is costing us money, because instead of doing this the government could use the money to pay off the debt or return it to the taxpayers.
    how can you think about debt when people can't watch their TVs?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the greatest video on the subject so far:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWWaWmFJjQ
    The government has only the power to protect our liberties, not strip us of them.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    BINGO.

And in a certain sense, the government turning OFF the standard broadcasting is an arbitrary taking/seizure of "presumed" property rights by obsoleting of everyone's TV and other broadcast reception equipment (rendering it all virtually worthless w/o the adapters). Its a form of "eminent domain" that has been arbitrarily declared via legislation w/o proper due process of law (and I am certain that THAT is one of the main reasons they did the coupon program, else they would have faced a HOST of lawsuits -- which, BTW, could still happen).

And even with the coupons, there is still a loss of value from several standpoints:
    1) the coupons do NOT cover the full cost of the boxes;
    2) Many people (esp in rural areas) need to purchase more sensitive antennas (the digital signals do NOT carry as well as the old analog);
    3) The converter box setup does NOT compensate for the loss of much of the functionality that was previously present in a lot of equipment (timed recording from multiple different channels, recording of one channel while watching another, etc).

The surprising thing is, to most people, is that the converter box will not necessary allow you to receive a digital signal. I've been trying to tell family, friends and co-workers this for about a year and a half now and they recently had a big article in the Houston Chronicle admitting this.

It's called the "cliff effect". You will either get a perfect digital signal or you won't get anything. No in between. It's all about strength of signal reception. If you are city or urban you will probably not have a problem, depending on other obstructions which might block the signal. But for rural people, being able to pick up the signal is iffy. The solution will be to purchase an antenna and possibly hire a technician.

The thing is, most people won't know this until their TV goes black, and then they probably won't know what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanerbeet View Post
    That guy was freakin hilarious. All valid points. I loved his "presentation" of the facts.
    Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
    The surprising thing is, to most people, is that the converter box will not necessary allow you to receive a digital signal. I've been trying to tell family, friends and co-workers this for about a year and a half now and they recently had a big article in the Houston Chronicle admitting this.

It's called the "cliff effect". You will either get a perfect digital signal or you won't get anything. No in between. It's all about strength of signal reception. If you are city or urban you will probably not have a problem, depending on other obstructions which might block the signal. But for rural people, being able to pick up the signal is iffy. The solution will be to purchase an antenna and possibly hire a technician.

The thing is, most people won't know this until their TV goes black, and then they probably won't know what the problem is.

Well, good. Maybe the black screen will wake some people up to the complete and utter incompetence that is the fed gov.
    If God himself got off his throne, descended from the heavens, trumpetted at my door, and announced that I was wasting my time trying to get Ron Paul into the Whitehouse, I would thank him for his concern and ask him to leave me to my business. I've wasted lots of time on far less noble causes. ~RockEnds

Because in the big scheme of things when compared to the other MAJOR and more pressing and compelling life and death issues, it's purely TRIVIAL.<IMHO>

according to rothbard we shoulda been on uhf to begin with

I did!.

Don't fall into a TRAP or you could be filter out

Just remember that 1/4 wavelength is a short and 1/2 wavelength is a open.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool! Same here. Here is my little side business:
    http://www.rfpoweramp.com/

Anyhow, the converter box coupons were supposed to be funded from the billions collected from the 700 MHz auction. IIRC it never sold for anywhere near the expected amount.

Here's my satiric take on it on another forum. Not surprisingly, most of them thought I was serious..
    For good times, IM me.

I did!.

I bitched about it from an economic standpoint. The $40 coupon only serves to keep prices up.

don't watch tv...
    "Masterful and arrogant wealth, created largely by Government protection of its profits, not content with its domination and influence within a single party, had sought to corrupt them both, and to that end had insinuated itself into the primaries, in order that no candidates might be nominated whose views were not in accord with theirs." (‘Colonel’ Edward Mandell House in 'Philip Dru: Administrator', circa 1912)

Quote Originally Posted by lucius View Post
    don't watch tv...
    I use RPFs as one of my news aggregates.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I use RPFs as one of my news aggregates.
    agree (+1)
    "Masterful and arrogant wealth, created largely by Government protection of its profits, not content with its domination and influence within a single party, had sought to corrupt them both, and to that end had insinuated itself into the primaries, in order that no candidates might be nominated whose views were not in accord with theirs." (‘Colonel’ Edward Mandell House in 'Philip Dru: Administrator', circa 1912)

Quote Originally Posted by Nanerbeet View Post
    Wow, this guy is awesome. I'm subscribing to his channel.

If I came on here and complained about every stupid thing the government does, I'd never get anything else done. Of course it's ridiculous to give away millions of dollars so that people can watch tv. They'd be better off without their televisions, but not from the government's point of view. Wouldn't want people to start thinking for themselves, and pay attention to what's going on around them.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Or maybe they have and I didn't notice. But the government is handing out $40 coupons to help people buy digital converter boxes.

Sure I will take the coupon, I don't begrudge anyone else on here taking it either. Otherwise we are just paying for everyone else to watch tv. Might as well get some of what the government stole from us back.

However if up to me nobody would get a coupon including myself. This is so patently ridiculous. I can understand the motivation at least and sympathize with wanting to feed people and $#@!, but TV?

Someone I mentioned it too said that "Well, alot of old people on SS watch TV and could not afford it.?"

So? This is my problem how?

What if an old person has a converter box but their tv breaks one day. Should we buy them a new goddamn TV?
    Probably because I don't watch TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by WRellim View Post
    BINGO.

And in a certain sense, the government turning OFF the standard broadcasting is an arbitrary taking/seizure of "presumed" property rights by obsoleting of everyone's TV and other broadcast reception equipment (rendering it all virtually worthless w/o the adapters). Its a form of "eminent domain" that has been arbitrarily declared via legislation w/o proper due process of law (and I am certain that THAT is one of the main reasons they did the coupon program, else they would have faced a HOST of lawsuits -- which, BTW, could still happen).

And even with the coupons, there is still a loss of value from several standpoints:
    1) the coupons do NOT cover the full cost of the boxes;
    2) Many people (esp in rural areas) need to purchase more sensitive antennas (the digital signals do NOT carry as well as the old analog);
    3) The converter box setup does NOT compensate for the loss of much of the functionality that was previously present in a lot of equipment (timed recording from multiple different channels, recording of one channel while watching another, etc).
    It sounds like you are saying that 2 wrongs make a right...that it was wrong for the government to force the issue on digital conversion, but they are trying to make that right by redistributing income to compensate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Number19 View Post

true. ive had my antenna up since 2005 and as of right now, i can get 20 plus analog channels and 2-3 digital channels. after the cuttoff, all of those "OK" looking channels will not be there. on the 2-3 that i can get or not get depending on cloud cover and more so the outside temp.

people like me who live away from the city where the brodcast towers are, will either get perfect looking channels, or none at all.

analog = snowy-ehh-pretty clear-perfect , but can watch anyhow

digital = nothing- or got it.

I just want to know who the hell does not have cable are dtv in this day in age, I don't know one person. If you have that you don't need a converter. Even my family in the middle of nowhere in WI has a dish.

Last I remember watching TV with rabbit ears I think I was watching dukes of hazzard on primetime. I also had a pair of needle nose to cange the channel.
    Last edited by jpwilhelm; 02-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpwilhelm View Post
    I just want to know who the hell does not have cable are dtv in this day in age, I don't know one person. If you have that you don't need a converter. Even my family in the middle of no where in WI has a dish.

Last I remember watching TV with rabit ears I think I was watching dukes of hazzard on primetime. I also had a pair of needle nose to cange the channel.
    changing channels with needle nose pliers was how i got electrocuted for the first time in my life, lol!

i didnt know what was happening as i was only 5 or so, i just remember thinking that all of a sudden i hurt and everything looked wavy.

i have the antenna up just because i want to drop dish network as soon as i can convince my wife we need the money more than the dish.

i will miss watching stuff on the not so perfect analog channels.

cant imagine some of the stuff i grew up watching being crystal clear now. just wouldnt seem the same.

We don't have TV here, I barely even knew this was going on. The "vouchers" are a joke. Government taking money from the sheep to make sure the sheep stay sheep. Simple as that.
    For Liberty - Feature-length doc about the 2008 R3V | Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast