Thread: obama to "ASSESS" the middle class

obama to "ASSESS" the middle class

complete worthless; i mean how can they even relate at all? Joe Biden leading? 4 cabinet members helping??? lmao

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/30/news...ion=2009013011

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Facing new evidence of a darkening economic climate, President Barack Obama on Friday established a new middle-class task force to assess the status of average-income Americans and recommend new ways to strengthen the economy.

The president also signed three executive orders to support organized labor, a key Democratic constituency.

Addressing an audience of business and union leaders in the White House, Obama said it is time for the the government to act "boldly and swiftly" to assist a struggling middle class.

"We can't ... drag our feet or delay much longer. The American people expect us to act, and that's exactly what I intend to do," he said.

The U.S. economy suffered its biggest slowdown in 26 years in the last three months of 2008, according to the government's first reading about the fourth quarter, released Friday.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of the nation's economic activity, fell at an annual rate of 3.8% in the quarter, adjusted for inflation.

The latest numbers are "a continuing disaster for America's working families," Obama said. "The recession is deepening ... and the economic crisis is growing."

The president's new Task Force of Middle Class Working Families, led by Vice President Joe Biden, will be composed of a panel of advisers and four Cabinet members. The task force will try to assess the status of the middle class - specifically whether it is growing or shrinking and how well off it is.

hahahahaha

It is ultimately expected to issue a series of recommendations on how best to bolster the economic security of average-income Americans.

"A strong middle class equals a strong America," Biden said. It is critical to "raise the living standards of the people who are the backbone of this country."

The task force's first meeting is scheduled to be held on February 27 in Philadelphia. The meeting will focus on "green jobs," employment opportunities tied to renewable energy and environmentally friendly development.

Pro-labor directives
    Reaching out to organized labor, the president also issued three executive orders designed to "level the playing field for workers and the unions that represent their interests," Obama said.

"I do not view the labor movement as part of the problem. To me, it's part of the solution," he added. "You cannot have a strong middle class without a strong labor movement."

The first order prevents federal contractors from being reimbursed for expenses that were intended to influence workers' decisions to form unions or engage in collective bargaining.

A second requires federal vendors with more than $100,000 in contracts to post workers' rights under the National Labor Relations Act.

"Federal labor laws encourage collective bargaining, and employees should know their rights to avoid disruption of federal contracts," Obama said.

The third order requires service contractors at federal buildings to offer jobs to qualified current employees when contracts change.

-- CNN's Suzanne Malveaux contributed to this report
    Last edited by smithtg; 01-30-2009 at 02:18 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Assess this: *holds up middle finger*
    Originally posted by revolutionman:
    "I don't like bob barr, the hair on his face is evil. I know thats dumb but there is just something i don't like about his moustache and eyebrows."

Originally Posted by amy31416:
    "Quit insulting snakes and lizards by comparing them to our politicians."

SAVE BUNCHIES!

I take it he means assess in the same way the county auditor assesses your property to determine how much to tax you.

Quote Originally Posted by SnappleLlama View Post
    Assess this: *holds up middle finger*
    look at my avatar closely; its a nuke that turned into a middle finger

Quote Originally Posted by smithtg View Post
    look at my avatar closely; its a nuke that turned into a middle finger
    LOL...I probably noticed it subconsciously!
    Originally posted by revolutionman:
    "I don't like bob barr, the hair on his face is evil. I know thats dumb but there is just something i don't like about his moustache and eyebrows."

Originally Posted by amy31416:
    "Quit insulting snakes and lizards by comparing them to our politicians."

SAVE BUNCHIES!

When will they figure out we have no middle class! Your eithe wealthy, or poor.... one or they other.

He wants to identify us so he can more effectively eliminate us.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn't labor unions the problem with the American Auto Industry? That it costs $2000 per car before its manufactured because of all the pensions, bonuses, and extras the unions negotiated?
    But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
    ---John Adam

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks, and the corporations which grow up around them, will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.
    ---Thomas Jefferson