Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Financial Crisis Is Driving Hordes of Americans to Suicide

The Financial Crisis Is Driving Hordes of Americans to Suicide

Pushed past their breaking points, people are robbing banks to pay the rent, setting homes on fire -- even taking their own lives.

http://www.alternet.org/workplace/12...ns_to_suicide/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lord have mercy.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Perhaps this will lead to more hilarious Jim Carrey movies?
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Sad account of how desperate people are getting but the last paragraph of the article is a bit absurd. As horrible as the situation is when you are being foreclosed upon/evicted and have lost a job, there are still plenty of other avenues. We have become a nation of selfish individuals who expect there to never be any hard bumps in life. If this energy was channeled correctly rather than feeling sorry for themselves, maybe a positive change could be made. However as long as the reaction is not involving some sacrifice on the part of everyone we will continue to act like petulant children when things go awry. I say this as a person who has been there/done that regarding losing everything and having to make hard choices...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Sometimes I wonder how my mind works. The one coherent thought I have after reading that is, "how fitting that the billionaires threw themselves in fronot of a train, in light of the opening paragraphs of Jeckyl Island."
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how my mind works. The one coherent thought I have after reading that is, "how fitting that the billionaires threw themselves in fronot of a train, in light of the opening paragraphs of Jeckyl Island."
    same here. kinda funny in a way, or maybe ironic is a better word, that those who acted so powerful and in most case above the average person, cant handle the thought of working a regular peasants job, or living a peasants life. im a bastard i guess.

Welcome to Japan.
    Originally posted by revolutionman:
    "I don't like bob barr, the hair on his face is evil. I know thats dumb but there is just something i don't like about his moustache and eyebrows."

Originally Posted by amy31416:
    "Quit insulting snakes and lizards by comparing them to our politicians."

SAVE BUNCHIES!

The blame should be put where it belongs, on the shoulder's of our corupt gov. I would like to recomend the suicide to most all of our politicians, except Ron Paul. As for robbing banks, why not rob from the ones who rob us.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Suicide is always considered the last selfish act . Maybe they should stick around and help their family in these hard times instead of trying to escape it leaving loved ones to do it alone.

^my thoughts exactly. selfish weak cowards. makes me so angry. file your bankruptcy, start over. and find out that the the better things in life are not bought & sold.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    ^my thoughts exactly. selfish weak cowards. makes me so angry. file your bankruptcy, start over. and find out that the the better things in life are not bought & sold.
    +1776

A nugget of solid gold wisdom.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    Sad account of how desperate people are getting but the last paragraph of the article is a bit absurd. As horrible as the situation is when you are being foreclosed upon/evicted and have lost a job, there are still plenty of other avenues. We have become a nation of selfish individuals who expect there to never be any hard bumps in life. If this energy was channeled correctly rather than feeling sorry for themselves, maybe a positive change could be made. However as long as the reaction is not involving some sacrifice on the part of everyone we will continue to act like petulant children when things go awry. I say this as a person who has been there/done that regarding losing everything and having to make hard choices...
    This too. +1776
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

we have become a nation of selfish individuals who expect there to never be any hard bumps in life. If this energy was channeled correctly rather than feeling sorry for themselves, maybe a positive change could be made. However as long as the reaction is not involving some sacrifice on the part of everyone we will continue to act like petulant children when things go awry....
    qft!!!!!!!
    In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.-- Thomas Jefferson

I'm crippled with arthritis and will be pretty much helpless in the event of a depression. Right now I'm totally dependent on family and if my dad gets laid off then I'm $#@!ed. I'm being thrown into a catastrophe with my hands tied behind my back. Suicide is an attractive option under the circumstances. Not because I want to die, but beause death is less bad than what is going to happen if I continue living. Anyone who has a problem with that is a $#@!ing idiot.
    Last edited by marijuologist; 01-29-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Hey, guess what? If you live BELOW your means, and don't borrow everything you "own", you won't be so depressed when the economy gets bad. You might even have so money saved. Look at that.

Free of charge, people. Free of charge.

I have no issue with people that want to take their own lives. Go ahead if you want. I understand, mari, as I am in almost the exact situation.

I have just been preparing for this, and, as I said, living below my means (which is pretty low if I do say so myself).
    >Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.
    >Dear lord... please allow this dangerous combination of hair spray, bat slobber, and D.O.T. four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirits, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me. All my Best, Earlie Cuyler.
    - Earlie Cuyler

And if you have no means as a result of a physical disability, just where does that leave you?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Suicide is always considered the last selfish act . Maybe they should stick around and help their family in these hard times instead of trying to escape it leaving loved ones to do it alone.
    It indicates of the most critical selfish desires, the will to live. Suicide therefore is the most selfless act.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

IIRC, during the Great Depression, company executives were leaping out of their high rises because they've lost their collective fortunes.

This doesn't sound like anything new.
    "A goverment that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away." -- Barry Goldwater

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."
    -- Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by marijuologist View Post
    I'm crippled with arthritis and will be pretty much helpless in the event of a depression. Right now I'm totally dependent on family and if my dad gets laid off then I'm $#@!ed. I'm being thrown into a catastrophe with my hands tied behind my back. Suicide is an attractive option under the circumstances. Not because I want to die, but beause death is less bad than what is going to happen if I continue living. Anyone who has a problem with that is a $#@!ing idiot.
    FYI Oregon has assisted suicide laws. Not advocating just informing.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Oh it makes perfect sense! Everybody knows that when you kill yourself you get all your money, stuff and dignity back!

No problem with it at all. But isn't there a part of you that says "$#@! that...I'm going to fight no matter what...live forever or die trying." ?

"We never had to go through the hardships our parents had to."

Quote Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
    Pushed past their breaking points, people are robbing banks to pay the rent, setting homes on fire -- even taking their own lives.

http://www.alternet.org/workplace/12...ns_to_suicide/
    [snip]
    Last edited by WRellim; 01-30-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: to avoid offending self-obsessed narcissists

Banned Troll - http://digg.com/users/silverlinkx2/history/comments/page2

How about puttin yourself in their shoes before making a judgement huh? Did you know scores of Indians (Asian India) farmers are killing themselves because they went into scores of debt to buy new GM seeds that were promised to be the best, most defect-free crop in existence only to have several generations of them fail? They're all drinking pesticide over there and dropping like flies. I'm sure you have a self-righteous speech you'd like to give, you know, because you've endured life so well and there's no reason for anyone to want to end theirs early

I've been in pretty dire straits, myself. The only thing that stopped me was realizing what my death would do to my parents

In other news, TGIF! How 'bout it! Woo!
    "I don't like bob barr, the hair on his face is evil. I know thats dumb but there is just something i don't like about his moustache and eyebrows."

SAVE BUNCHIES!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    good we need to weed out the weak people in the world

Quote Originally Posted by silverlinkx2 View Post
    How about puttin yourself in their shoes before making a judgement huh? Did you know scores of Indians (Asian India) farmers are killing themselves because they went into scores of debt to buy new GM seeds that were promised to be the best, most defect-free crop in existence only to have several generations of them fail? They're all drinking pesticide over there and dropping like flies. I'm sure you have a self-righteous speech you'd like to give, you know, because you've endured life so well and there's no reason for anyone to want to end theirs early
    uh,yeah...Exactly! Life is what you make of it and we have become so weak willed that we are inclined to self pity as soon as life does not go our way. Not to say I don't know the depths of their loss or the well of self pity and self hate that cause them to reach this conclusion. (Been there done that and now can rationalize and try to weed out thought processes that put me there in the first place)

However, all articles like this do is embrace the attitude that this is a feasible alternative. Furthermore drawing the conclusion that all these folks will stop dying if we just give them these houses free of charge?!? It is a cowards way out and all the more disgusting when they remove the choice of the family members to stay and fight (murder/suicide).

How about before you get so self righteous you put yourself in their shoes(where I have been fwiw) and see just how many options are out there instead of indulging people feeling so much self pity and being encouraged to destroy themselves (that is what these articles do for people in this mindset, again been there so speak from experience) because they can no longer live in their desired place of choice but must start again or depend on the help of others to see them through? Sure would be a terrible thing for us to realize we must embrace new choices outside of our field of control, eh?

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by SnappleLlama View Post
    I've been in pretty dire straits, myself. The only thing that stopped me was realizing what my death would do to my parents

In other news, TGIF! How 'bout it! Woo!
    Yay, TGIF! Bunchies never commit suicide, ya know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Yay, TGIF! Bunchies never commit suicide, ya know.
    I know! I need to be strong like Bunchies!!

SAVE BUNCHIES!

You are feeding into the fear propaganda. I do have a problem with people allowing outsider observations to destroy their capacity to function, and I am not an idiot despite your personnel opinion on the matter. As much as Dr.Paul advocates for self responsibilty I am sure he is also a realist and sometimes we must explore all possible avenues in difficult circumstances. He wasn't against social responses to others problems just against mandating its support.
    It has crippled our mentality to a sense of selfishness and an "I deserve this" attitude towards life. It has made us bitter towards those in need unless they are someone with which we have an emotional connection. Tptb are stacking the deck, and the media's fear mongering is feeding this frenzy causing people to implode or draw inside themselves which is furthering the economic problems.

Everyone has a choice to make each day, and yours differs from mine. If your father looses his job, then it will just be a new set of circumstances not the end of the world. Certain starvation is not at hand. Do not allow the fear mongering to force your focus into one view of the circumstances. The more difficult the circumstances the more creative the choices may have to become. The key to realizing the negative of a situation is not to dwell on the miserableness of it but to seek to avoid the harshness of it should it occur. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Reach out to others, because this desperation others feel is because they failed to reach out and see there are any alternatives to the situation.

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Yea they passed one here in Washington state to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast