Thread: Jill Biden Alleges Crime, Joe Biden Shushes, Spokeswoman Denies

Jill Biden Alleges Crime, Joe Biden Shushes, Spokeswoman Denies

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090119/D95QGU780.html

I notice there's no mention of the fact that what Jill Biden alleges is a CRIME!!

But there is here:
    http://news.aol.com/political-machin...roke-the-law/5

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I saw it on the news this morning and they kind of laughed it off..

It could be a big deal in a few days if people want to hassle him.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

Sorry, but what's the crime here? Being given a choice of which job he wants sounds like a courtesy, not a crime. It might be a rub against Hillary, but who cares?

Title 18 chapter 29 section 599 of the United States code:

"Whoever, being a candidate, directly or indirectly promises or pledges the appointment, or the use of his influence or support for the appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Double post, sorry.
    Last edited by libertarian4321; 01-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Martinez View Post
    Title 18 chapter 29 section 599 of the United States code:

"Whoever, being a candidate, directly or indirectly promises or pledges the appointment, or the use of his influence or support for the appointment of any person to any public or private position or employment, for the purpose of procuring support in his candidacy shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
    There isn't any indication that either was offered in exchange for support. Biden, of course, supported Obama over McCain regardless of any offer of position. Hence, no "crime."

It would have been a "crime" if there was evidence that Biden was considering voting for McCain, and Biden "bought him off" by offering a position.

Which, of course, would have been absurd, because Biden's support would have been essentially meaningless.
    Last edited by libertarian4321; 01-20-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Clearly, Biden had "settled on" running for Vice President long before the election. As you may recall, they were both candidates, or what's called running mates, prior to being elected! Therefore, the offer must have been made before then.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh... you changed your post. Doesn't "support" also indicate promoting the candidate? I understood this law to mean that a politician can't promise someone, "if you work for my campaign, I'll give you X position in my administration."

Oh... you changed your post. Doesn't "support" also indicate promoting the candidate? I understood this law to mean that a politician can't promise someone, "if you work for my campaign, I'll give you X position in my administration."
    I think the idea is to give the position ONLY if support is given.

If it applied to anyone who is given a position and works to support the candidate, ANY VP would be guilty of breaking the law, right?

Biden pledged to throw his 0.0% support in the primaries behind Obama, lol.