Thread: Liberty Dollars on ebay - why are $5 silvers selling for more than 2x face value?

Liberty Dollars on ebay - why are $5 silvers selling for more than 2x face value?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-5-00-Libert...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Liberty-Dollar...QQcmdZViewItem
    At the time of this writing, both auctions of the 2008 1/10 oz silvers are going for $10 or more, while the stamped value is $5 and you can still get them from libertydollar.com (my order for the 4-piece $85 set came a few days ago and included a $5 silver). Meanwhile, a 1 oz. 2006 silver ($20) went for just under the stamped value:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270317999887
    I'm new to Liberty Dollars and owning precious metals - what am I missing here?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As I said before, Liberty Dollar is a scam.

The entire point of silver and gold currency is to have the currency be valued on the price of the metal. Stamping a dollar amount on there defeats the purpose.

Liberty Dollar for example will take a coin worth say, $8, and stamp "$10" on the front, then when the price rose they would discontinue that nominal amount and revalue their coins which are now worth, say, $17 and stamp "$20" on the front.

No, the first two are "Buy Now" items. You can list the price for anything you want, it does not mean it's the market value.

As for the one sold for $20, it seems reasonable. Spot price for silver is below the physical price, and the $20 Libertys are somewhat more popular.

Why?

Demand.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Hmmm, if you want 1/10 oz of silver, I'll gladly sell you some Pre 1964 dimes for $5 each
    Well, each dime only has .0723 Troy Oz silver, but that's still better than $10 for a $5 Liberty 1/10th oz coin.

Buy silver by weight, not what is stamped on it.

eb
    Been a long time....

Quote Originally Posted by bander87 View Post
    No, the first two are "Buy Now" items. You can list the price for anything you want, it does not mean it's the market value.

As for the one sold for $20, it seems reasonable. Spot price for silver is below the physical price, and the $20 Libertys are somewhat more popular.
    Those aren't buy it now auctions, they both have several bids already that have driven it up to that price.

@FrankRep - yes, price is driven by demand, but why pay more than 2x that what it sells for on libertydollar.com? Like I said, I just had an order that came in that included a $5 silver, same as on those auctions

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    Those aren't buy it now auctions, they both have several bids already that have driven it up to that price.

@FrankRep - yes, price is driven by demand, but why pay more than 2x that what it sells for on libertydollar.com? Like I said, I just had an order that came in that included a $5 silver, same as on those auctions
    Whoops, thanks for the correction.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.