Thread: Setting up a communications system for when the SHTF

Setting up a communications system for when the SHTF

The other thread got me wondering about ways we could setup a comminication network, especially with friends and loved ones. If the phones/internet are down, I want a way to communicate with my family, most of whom are about 30 miles away but a few others are indifferent states. What options do I have? Shortwave radio maybe?

And what about the internet? Is there some way a powerful radio system could be setup to allow internet communications? Is there a way an individual could have some sort of powerful transmitter that could link up with other computers without going through an ISP (which could be shut down by the government)?

I think this is a huge weakness. We need to keep the internet and communcations avaliable, the tyrants could shut down the existing system easily.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nextel, assuming Sprint doesn't go bankrupt.

Get your ham radio license and join a local amateur radio club and participate in Field Day every year. It's in the summer; you run on emergency power.

http://www.hello-radio.org/
    --
    You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. -- Eric Hoffer

Banned Troll - http://digg.com/users/silverlinkx2/history/comments/page2

Ham radio is the way to go. I"m actually workin on a small cube satellite that uses it, maybe I can program it to take in inputs (right now it only gets sensor data and transmits it).

This is just the prototype. I'm working on a longer one but I'm afraid the Feds might find a way to tap into it.

There was a pretty long thread on this a few months back, I remember reading it when I was on vacation, but I forgot to save it.
    I support Ron Paul.

License? I would rather not be in another government database. What are the chances of getting caught/penalties for not using a license?

Could ham radio be used somehow to transmit data for computer communications?

We can always keep the forums alive by using smoke signals.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Aha! This looks promising for the internet...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio

Ok, I was a telecommunications major so I have a pretty good handle on radios. It would mainly depend on what it is that causes things to go down.

If it's an EMP burst where all electronics break down then we go back to the days of flag towers. At their hayday they could send messages at speeds that rivaled early computer modems. They basically consist of towers (we'd probably take over the unused cellular towers) with someone on top with a telescope and flags. You tell the first guy what to send, he flashes the flags to the next tower who sends it on and on, etc.

If the electronics still work then you might be able to do HAM radio with generators.

Then there will probably be some sort of postal system that will go back to just sending letters.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by gls View Post

This is just the prototype. I'm working on a longer one but I'm afraid the Feds might find a way to tap into it.
    Damn, you beat me to it....thats the first thing I thought of!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    License? I would rather not be in another government database. What are the chances of getting caught/penalties for not using a license?

Could ham radio be used somehow to transmit data for computer communications?
    Yes.

http://www.wb8nut.com/digital.html

And faxing via radio waves has been used since the 1920's.
    --
    You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. -- Eric Hoffer

Don't forget that the vast majority of communications available to us are easily jammed by military/intelligence organizations, so I wouldn't bet too much on any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nodope0695 View Post
    Smoke signals.....when you see smoke, you know the mission was successful.
    ....annnd just what kind of smoke are we talking about here? :P

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We can always keep the forums alive by using smoke signals
    I was thinking fireworks, you can see them half mile away easy, there's at least one of us every half mile, maybenot on the forum but RON PAUL supporter

One word: Llamas.
    Originally posted by revolutionman:
    "I don't like bob barr, the hair on his face is evil. I know thats dumb but there is just something i don't like about his moustache and eyebrows."

Originally Posted by amy31416:
    "Quit insulting snakes and lizards by comparing them to our politicians."

SAVE BUNCHIES!

We bought a HAM a while back, and we have 3 generators, but really, if all else fails, shouldn't there be a meeting place mapped out?
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

2 Meter communications.

Great line of site commo for regional. Check a map. I can reach Monroe WA from downtown Seattle with a 65W Omnidirectional.
    If this should be, our final stand,
    we will stand together with pride
    We will honour the past, and fight to the last,
    it will be a good way to die
    It matters not, if the cause is lost,
    and we can not stop the tide
    We will fight to the end, and then fight again,
    it will be a good way to die

Wait guys. I have a question. Say we have solar power and can provide our own electricity. Maybe have our people own a few dedicated servers.

Is it unlikely to still have internet use?
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

I think we should have a few designated meeting places. And we should NOT discuss where in an open forum. Anyone want to brainstorm on this? In PM to start?
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Here is a little history about how mountain men met up in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_man

The rendezvous system was invented by William Henry Ashley. Companies would haul supplies to specific mountain locations in the spring, engage in trading with trappers, and bring pelts back to communities on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers in the fall. Major William Henry Ashley started this system through the Rocky Mountain Fur Company. He sold this business to the outfit of Smith, Jackson and Sublette, while still making a profit by selling that firm their supplies. This system continued when other firms, particularly the American Fur Company, entered the field.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=12&gl=us

http://lighthousepatriotjournal.word...rican-history/

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Well if you do it frequently in a populated area your chances are fairly decent. Why? Because many local ham radio operators are trained in RDF - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_direction_finder
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    nt
    Last edited by Live_Free_Or_Die; 11-20-2009 at 07:08 PM.