Thread: Second Amendment Foundation

Question Second Amendment Foundation

So today I received a letter from the Second Amendment Foundation.
    I have no idea how I got on their mailing list. Maybe through my
    donations to RP.

Anyway... this is how the letter starts off ...

I've enclosed a SPECIAL BALLOT so you can vote on a very urgent important matter facing the Second Amendment Foundation and American gun owners.

This BALLOT is for member and key supporters of the Second Amendment Foundation, so please read my letter very carefully and return it to me as soon as possible.

I do not exaggerate when I say this is a very urgent important vote for you to cast.

Because in a moment, after you have read my letter and prepare to cast your vote for the question at hand, you may well be deciding the most important legal battle the Second Amendment Foundation has ever been involved in.

Let me explain.

The United States Supreme Court in Washington, D.C. v. Heller has overturned the ban on handgun ownership in the Nation's Capital and ruled that the Second Amendment is an individual right.

We immediately filed suit in Federal Court against the Chicago Gun Ban so we can get the Heller rulling applied to all 50 states through 14th Amendment Incorporation.
    The gun grabbers are fighting our Chicago Gun Ban Suit and are out raising millions of dollars and hiring high-priced, well-connected lawyers to make sure our historic D.C. victory is not applied to all 50 states.

The anti-gun crowd knows that if we win this case, gun bans like Chicago's and many other anti-gun rights laws from coast-to-coast are next to be struck down.

The gun grabbers were hoping that President Barack Obama will be able to honor his promise to appoint more anti-gun judges to the high Federal courts before a case like this get theres.

A major "Incorporation" ruling in the support of the individual right to own a gun for self-defense could be the "dagger in the heart" of the anti-gun movement we have been searching for.

And because the gun grabbers know it, they are pulling out all the stops. The Brady Centerpeople and other anti-gun rights groups will be filing briefs against us in this case.

I have been told by a source close to Sarah Brady that her anti-gun rights group is preparing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars against us in this court case arguing that the Chicago Gun ban and other harsh control laws are "reasonable" and should not be ruled unconstitutional.

It is this kind of legal tactic that gun grabbers like the Brady people and anti-gun politicians like Obama, Kennedy and Clinton will use to uphold the Chicago, Illinois handgun ban.

But now II must ask you to decide.

Should the Second Amendment Foundation fund a legal challenge to the Chicago gun ban that will incorporate the recent Supreme Court decision that says individual citizens have the right to own a gun for self-defense to all 50 states?

But before you answer, consider this addition [sic] critical information:

1. It was the Second Amendment Foundation's suit that twice overturned the city of San Francisco's Handgun Ban and forced scores of other cities to back away.

2. It was a Second Amendment Foundation suit that overturned a law the city of New Haven passed that banned the sale of handguns and stopped a number of other Connecticut towns from passing the same law.

3. It was the Second Amendment Foundation's legal efforts that have destroyed city gun bans, stopped BATF harassment of gun owners and protected people falsely accused.

4. It was a SAF suit that forced Los Angeles to issue concealed carry licesnes to gun owners.

5. It was a Second Amendment Foundation suit that stopped gun confiscation in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

6. It was a SAF suit that forced the state of Ohio to pass a law allowing concealed carry of firearms for self-defense.

7. And it was SAF amicus curiae briefs that helped overturn the Washington, D.C. gun ban at the Federal Appeals Court and at the U.S. Supreme Court.

8. And, a SAF funded suit against Mayor Bloomberg is in Court now.

Now with this in mind ...

Please complete the SAF SUPPORTER BALLOT I've enclosed for you and return it to me right away.

And please vote, too, with your dollars.

SAF can't fund this new legal suit or continue those in progress without your financial help and involvement.

Our lawsuits cost an estimated $240,000 each and the five other lawsuits we have going on could cost well over an additional $650,000 alone!

I must know what level of support I have from loyal SAF Supporters like you before I give the go-ahead to our attorney, Alan Gura, who won the Supreme Court case that overturned the Washington. D. C. gun ban.

And I promise you, we won't pay any attorney one cent more than we have to. I will not allow any lawyer to get rich off the money you contribute. This case will protect gun rights in all 50 states.

Sincerely yours,

Alan M. Gottlieb
    Founder

Question: Have others received this letter (ballot?). I don't know
    much about Second Amendment Foundation, but those of you who
    do what do you think of them?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Kevin Jamison http://www.kljamisonlaw.com/ , the man who literally wrote the book http://www.kljamisonlaw.com/author.asp & http://productions.learntocarry.com/ on Missouri firearms law, and who was a founding member of http://www.wmsa.net/members.htm , is a SAF supporter. SAF wages the war on the judicial front primarily, where NRA & GOA focus primarilly on the executive/legislative/public opinion front. Both avenues are essential.