Thread: Balko on Sanford - Agitator

Balko on Sanford - Agitator

Balko:
    Okay, so South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is definitely running for president. And the GOP would be stupid not to nominate him.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I think the Republicans would BE stupid to nominate him... though not NEARLY as stupid as they would be to nominate any of the other likely candidates. But I'm convinced he's a fair-weather "small-government" conservative. He's for "small government" when it makes him look good or when it's easy. And then, of course, it's never as easy as expanding government so it's all rhetoric. It's like Obama talking about "change" and then appointing everyone that Hillary Clinton would have appointed. Sanford talks a big game then sits on the bench.

Like I said, he'd still be a million times better than Romney or Huckabee or any of the other big names, but my support is still for Gary Johnson / maybe another Ron Paul run.

Quote Originally Posted by thasre View Post
    I think the Republicans would BE stupid to nominate him... though not NEARLY as stupid as they would be to nominate any of the other likely candidates. But I'm convinced he's a fair-weather "small-government" conservative. He's for "small government" when it makes him look good or when it's easy. And then, of course, it's never as easy as expanding government so it's all rhetoric. It's like Obama talking about "change" and then appointing everyone that Hillary Clinton would have appointed. Sanford talks a big game then sits on the bench.

Like I said, he'd still be a million times better than Romney or Huckabee or any of the other big names, but my support is still for Gary Johnson / maybe another Ron Paul run.
    You might want to check out his stint as govenor here in SC and the fights he's had with our so called 'conservative republican' general assembly on cutting budgets. They have constantly over turned his vetoes on budget increases. And on top of that has been riduculed by many of the SC papers. It's a bit of a stretch to call him a 'fair weather' small-government conservative.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    You might want to check out his stint as govenor here in SC and the fights he's had with our so called 'conservative republican' general assembly on cutting budgets. They have constantly over turned his vetoes on budget increases. And on top of that has been riduculed by many of the SC papers. It's a bit of a stretch to call him a 'fair weather' small-government conservative.
    I have. On issues of state budget restraint, he has been really great. His respect for civil liberties has been pretty unsubstantial, however, and he's pro-war. On the issues Sanford would have the most direct influence over as President, he sucks. If he came out and publicly disowned our interventionist foreign policy and torture and things like that, I would support him in a heartbeat. If he had thrown his support behind Paul when it could have helped, I would love him. But it's rare that he takes a public stand for something, excluding the pig incident, which was more theatrical than substantial. I would vote for him if he got the Republican nomination (I didn't vote for McCain), I would throw my support behind him if it looked like it was going to come down to, say, him and Mike Huckabee, but I'm going to start with support for someone I actually think represents what I want. Mark Sanford, at this point, doesn't.

I am still not convinced.

what about the war on drugs? what about intervention? people like mark sanford are better as Governors if you ask me.

for obvious reasons.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

I would throw my support behind him if it looked like it was going to come down to, say, him and Mike Huckabee, but I'm going to start with support for someone I actually think represents what I want. Mark Sanford, at this point, doesn't.
    I'm right along with you but it would be good to push the Republican party towards him for lack of any other better candidate. Yes it is 4 years from now, but do you see any other republican that represents your views possibly running? It'd be good to see more people running in 2012 that at least represent some portion of 'liberty mindedness' so as to just to keep the discussion up front.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post
    I'm right along with you but it would be good to push the Republican party towards him for lack of any other better candidate. Yes it is 4 years from now, but do you see any other republican that represents your views possibly running? It'd be good to see more people running in 2012 that at least represent some portion of 'liberty mindedness' so as to just to keep the discussion up front.
    I'm putting all my effort into Gary Johnson for now. I would possibly consider Ron Paul if he decided to run again or didn't support Johnson. If neither of them run... well, then I retract my claim that Sanford would be a stupid choice. Compared with the others (Huckabee, Romney, Jindal, Palin), he's the ONLY choice!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like him. He's not Ron, no one is. But economically, he is a true small government conservative. On liberties, he has shown class. Now it all depends on war...he has kept silent so far, and I imagine he'd say things we hate to please the conservative class, but I can't see him being a neocon like Rudy and John.
    "You know not what you are given, but forever will you know what has been taken away from you..."

"As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means." - Ron Paul at a CNBC Debate in Michigan (10/09/07)

I'm putting all my effort into Gary Johnson for now. I would possibly consider Ron Paul if he decided to run again or didn't support Johnson. If neither of them run... well, then I retract my claim that Sanford would be a stupid choice. Compared with the others (Huckabee, Romney, Jindal, Palin), he's the ONLY choice!
    I like what I've read about him. I hope he runs.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -Plato

I honestly believe that Mark Sanford would be the best president since Eisenhower (or even since Coolidge). He's no Ron Paul, but not even Ron Paul is "Ron Paul", if you know what I mean. There are several candidates I could get excited about (Johnson or maybe even Flake), but Sanford seems like the best candidate we could hope for.

If the liberty movement were to get behind him and supply some votes , I'm pretty sure he'll be a lot more receptive than any other viable candidate.

And for all those who place their focus on foreign policy, remember that foreign policy begins at home, so to speak. I personally feel that domestic policy is more important for that reason.

But hey, I'm Swedish so my opinion is just that, an opinion.
    Last edited by Kilrain; 01-09-2009 at 05:57 AM.