Thread: Depleted uranium found in Gaza victims

Depleted uranium found in Gaza victims

Could someone please tell me what significance that has?

http://www.presstv.ir/gaza/detail.aspx?id=80589

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicangela View Post
    Could someone please tell me what significance that has?

http://www.presstv.ir/gaza/detail.aspx?id=80589
    Depleted uranium is used in armor piercing rounds. Obviously the people were near an obstacle that was hit with one of those rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Depleted uranium is used in armor piercing rounds. Obviously the people were near an obstacle that was hit with one of those rounds.
    More specifically, from armor piercing 120mm Main Gun tank rounds and the 40mm armor piercing rounds fired by the A-10 and helicopters.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Leonard Dietz is a retired physicist from the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory in upstate New York. Dietz, who pioneered the technology to measure uranium isotopes, is quoted as saying, "Anybody, civilian or soldier, who breathes these particles has a permanent dose, and it's not going to decrease very much over time. . .In the long run. . .veterans exposed to ceramic uranium oxide have a major problem."

A D.U shell bursts into flames as soon as it leaves the delivery device. When it hits a target, as much as 70 percent burns on impact at a high temperature, releasing into the air billions of invisible radioactive particles. This infinitesimally fine dust of aerosolized uranium oxide consists of metallic micro-particles that are smaller than viruses or bacteria.

All of our bodies contain tiny amounts of natural uranium because it is found in water and in the food supply. But natural uranium is quickly and harmlessly excreted by the body. However the velocity and heat of the impact of D.U munitions convert the poisonous uranium oxide from a heavy metal into a ceramic heavy metal that makes it insoluble and therefore difficult to excrete.

Geologist Leuren Moret is an independent scientist and internationally recognized expert on radiation, D.U., and public health. She estimates that "one millionth of a gram [of depleted uranium] accumulating in a person's body would be fatal. There are no known methods of treatment."

Depleted uranium contamination causes virtually every known illness from acute skin rashes, severe headaches, muscle and joint pain, and general fatigue, to major birth defects, infection, depression, cardiovascular disease, brain tumors, and every other type of cancer. Uranium replaces calcium, destroying teeth and bones.

D.U. is causing permanent disability and death for hundreds of thousands

loss for words right now, pointing out the obvious just seems like wasted space in the realms of the interweb now.....

Well, boys and girls, I will say to be afraid now...be very afraid. Its time time to either

a) Do something

B) arm yourself now, train NOW. Not to fight off the man necessarily, but for the possible exponential increase in terrorism on our soil. The WORLD is not happy with us and our dear friend Israel right now....

C) Be complacent and watch as it gets bad enough the people will willingly and demand any crazy schemes they come up with to "save" us...Being an American is about to have its very definition re-written.

Depleted $#@!ing uranium rounds on people with autos and rockets with limited killing power.....I've stopped watching the videos from Gaza, it was making my bloodpressure skyrocket...

Understand the issue of D.I but what would you replace it with?

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Understand the issue of D.I but what would you replace it with?

BTW, do you not understand the issue that this makes the ground toxic for a long, long time?? Israel is basically saying, "if we can't have this land, then neither can you."
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

bump
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh no. I just read that the U.S. used this in weapons against Iraq causing birth defects... and it was related to Gulf War Syndrome.

Dannno -- lol at the pic.

Yes I agree DU is bad for anyone that comes in direct or indirect contact to it but armies wont stop using them until, unless, a better alternative presents itself. Its not like one side will make more lightly armored vehicles if the other doesn't use DU rounds. Humanitarian reasons wont work, so address it from the technical end. Why would the army use DU if they had something safer and more effective to use instead?

Oh no. I just read that the U.S. used this in weapons against Iraq causing birth defects... and it was related to Gulf War Syndrome.
    we used this stuff in vietnam too, along with chemicals like agent orange.

Quote Originally Posted by orafi View Post
    we used this stuff in vietnam too, along with chemicals like agent orange.
    You had DU ammo in Vietnam?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    More specifically, from armor piercing 120mm Main Gun tank rounds and the 40mm armor piercing rounds fired by the A-10 and helicopters.
    Has the A-10 been upgraded? When I was in the Air Force, it had a 30mm.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Sure, over time DU becomes a force multiplier. They care little about the troops:

Military men are "dumb, stupid animals to be used” as pawns for foreign policy.
    -Henry Kissinger
    "Masterful and arrogant wealth, created largely by Government protection of its profits, not content with its domination and influence within a single party, had sought to corrupt them both, and to that end had insinuated itself into the primaries, in order that no candidates might be nominated whose views were not in accord with theirs." (‘Colonel’ Edward Mandell House in 'Philip Dru: Administrator', circa 1912)

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Has the A-10 been upgraded? When I was in the Air Force, it had a 30mm.
    Maybe wikipedia hasn't been updated lately, but I don't see anything about upgrades to the main gun.

Although the A-10 can carry considerable disposable stores, its primary built-in weapon is the 30 mm GAU-8/A Avenger Gatling gun. One of the most powerful aircraft cannons ever flown, it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells.
    I think it probably still has the 30mm. Also, the article states that the first one rolled off the line in 1976, and the Avenger has always used DU shells, so we've been using DU on whomever we come across for at least that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitt Romneys Sideburns
    Open up your windows. The change is already starting. I just saw a unicorn dancing on a rainbow!

What about m82a1 rifles as an alternative?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-materiel_rifle

Regardless, DU should never be used, using it as a weapon reminds me of when people were encouraged to use radium as toothpaste, it's pretty damn retarded. Well unless the people using them really don't give a crap about the people they effect, in which case they are effective at killing people even after the battle is finished and effecting generations to come.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

http://www.KnowYourRINO.com

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Thomas Pynchon

“It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.” - Voltaire.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Humanitarian reasons wont work, so address it from the technical end. Why would the army use DU if they had something safer and more effective to use instead?
    Ask Iraqi Gulf War vets who are still dying from gulf war syndrome.. and ask some of their wives who have gotten the disease from their husband.

You've never seen End Game, either, have you?

In the military there's potentially many different dangerous chemicals you could be exposed too. Fuels, solvents, weapons, I'm thinking the bullets really should be the least of the concern here. You get hit with shrapnel or a bullet many of the fragments are in your body forever. There's many heavy metals they can use, lead, tungsten, uranium, etc. There's no really nice compound here. The A-10 always has had a single multi-barrel 30mm gun Avenger gun currently made by General Dynamics if you wanna look it up u can get a neat pdf on it. It's pretty specialized with proprietary components and the plane would probably not balance very well if they replaced it with anything else. The Israeli's have Apaches and IFVs that fire depleted shells as fairly standard gear. Many heavier weapons platforms have that ammunition option as well, I'm sure you'll find not they are not gonna be too picky about environmentally friendly deadly ammo.
    Believe your Justice.-Metal Wolf Chaos

I ran as an LP candidate in '06 partly on this issue, and got some veteran support. It ties into state issues by way of advocating for veteran's benefits to detect and treat DU if the federal government fails to. It's a way to show the 'support the troops' rhetoric of the war whoopers doesn't match the reality that returning vets are being gipped of adequate medical coverage for being exposed to DU.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Supporting the troops to us sadly just seems to be focused on keeping them in the $#@! with some weapons.

Last edited by raiha; 01-06-2009 at 12:45 AM.
    The world does not consist of a throng of geniuses. WilliamBanzai7

Um do you seriously think we need to come up with a "green" line of shells that won't be any nicer or just you know not like get involved in all these conflicts.

I was around depleted uranium rounds in the Marine Corps. I have no problems. I don't buy into the fact that people say this is the cause of any health problems.
    Central Florida Politics

My comments are my own and do not reflect a candidate or a group.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Inhaling Uranium is obviously gonna be bad for your health and so is getting fragments of it into your body. Is it gonna be especially bad compared to alot of other heavy metals they can and do use... probably not.

Depleted uranium found in Gaza victims MIC/GOV Illegal usage

Quote Originally Posted by heath.whiteaker View Post
    I was around depleted uranium rounds in the Marine Corps. I have no problems. I don't buy into the fact that people say this is the cause of any health problems.
    It's not a problem when it's encased in the 30/20mm rounds... It's when they impact and scatters, is when it becomes bad. Being a BB stacker will not expose one to the DU.

Like asbestos, agent orange, beryllium, xylene, etc... used throughout the military and conflicts, hit you hard... AFTER THE FACT and USUALLY when you have been long gone out of the military.

Then the government and contractors that know, have the TAXPAYERS, pickup the TAB, for compensation for the Blatant and Criminal acts of the MIC/GOV.

$50K $100K... chump change and the people pay it, not the contractor... they actually do LAWSUIT COST/LIABILITY estimates on Shyt like this.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding
    As I walk through
    This wicked world
    Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

I ask myself
    Is all hope lost?
    Is there only pain and hatred, and misery?

And each time I feel like this inside,
    There's one thing I wanna know:
    What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
    What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

And as I walked on
    Through troubled times
    My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
    So where are the strong
    And who are the trusted?
    And where is the harmony?
    Sweet harmony.

'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me wanna cry.
    What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
    What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

~Elvis Costello
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Were you around them after they went off? I completely disagree with you by the way.

IIRC the US, UK, and Israel are the only countries in the world that use this stuff because of how awful and toxic it is.

I've been around a soldier who was around depleted uranium quite frequently and he exhibits most of the symptoms described here...so I'd consider yourself lucky.

Depleted uranium found in Gaza victims

Quote Originally Posted by Fox McCloud View Post
    IIRC the US, UK, and Israel are the only countries in the world that use this stuff because of how awful and toxic it is.

I've been around a soldier who was around depleted uranium quite frequently and he exhibits most of the symptoms described here...so I'd consider yourself lucky.
    "The Objective is to WIN The Game... Interesting, game... the only good move, is not to play."
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran