Thread: Products made from oil

Products made from oil

Short list of products made from oil. Reducing our dependence doesnt stop at the pump.

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like:
    Solvents
    Diesel
    Motor Oil
    Bearing Grease

Ink
    Floor Wax
    Ballpoint Pens
    Football Cleats

Upholstery
    Sweaters
    Boats
    Insecticides

Bicycle Tires
    Sports Car Bodies
    Nail Polish
    Fishing lures

Dresses
    Tires
    Golf Bags
    Perfumes

Cassettes
    Dishwasher
    Tool Boxes
    Shoe Polish

Motorcycle Helmet
    Caulking
    Petroleum Jelly
    Transparent Tape

CD Player
    Faucet Washers
    Antiseptics
    Clothesline

Curtains
    Food Preservatives
    Basketballs
    Soap

Vitamin Capsules
    Antihistamines
    Purses
    Shoes

Dashboards
    Cortisone
    Deodorant
    Footballs

Putty
    Dyes
    Panty Hose
    Refrigerant

Percolators
    Life Jackets
    Rubbing Alcohol
    Linings

Skis
    TV Cabinets
    Shag Rugs
    Electrician's Tape

Tool Racks
    Car Battery Cases
    Epoxy
    Paint

Mops
    Slacks
    Insect Repellent
    Oil Filters

Umbrellas
    Yarn
    Fertilizers
    Hair Coloring

Roofing
    Toilet Seats
    Fishing Rods
    Lipstick

Denture Adhesive
    Linoleum
    Ice Cube Trays
    Synthetic Rubber

Speakers
    Plastic Wood
    Electric Blankets
    Glycerin

Tennis Rackets
    Rubber Cement
    Fishing Boots
    Dice

Nylon Rope
    Candles
    Trash Bags
    House Paint

Water Pipes
    Hand Lotion
    Roller Skates
    Surf Boards

Shampoo
    Wheels
    Paint Rollers
    Shower Curtains

Guitar Strings
    Luggage
    Aspirin
    Safety Glasses

Antifreeze
    Football Helmets
    Awnings
    Eyeglasses

Clothes
    Toothbrushes
    Ice Chests
    Footballs

Combs
    CD's
    Paint Brushes
    Detergents

Vaporizers
    Balloons
    Sun Glasses
    Tents

Heart Valves
    Crayons
    Parachutes
    Telephones

Enamel
    Pillows
    Dishes
    Cameras

Anesthetics
    Artificial Turf
    Artificial limbs
    Bandages

Dentures
    Model Cars
    Folding Doors
    Hair Curlers

Cold cream
    Movie film
    Soft Contact lenses
    Drinking Cups

Fan Belts
    Car Enamel
    Shaving Cream
    Ammonia

Refrigerators
    Golf Balls
    Toothpaste
    Gasoline

Americans consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than
    250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each! But, as shown here petroleum is not just used for fuel.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Oil=magic, nuff said
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

One word- plastics. Plastics are made from petroleum. It is nearly impossible to find something made without them.

Anyone know what percentage of oil is consumed by gasoline and other oil-derived fuels?

http://www.lowimpactliving.com/pages/your-impacts/oil2
    how we use oil products back page 2 of 3 next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next natural question is what is oil used for in the US? The vast majority of petroleum consumed in the US is used for transportation – two thirds of the petroleum consumed in the US goes to fuel our cars, trucks and airplanes5. The remainder is used to create the many oil-based products used in industry and our houses such as lubricants and plastics, to generate electricity, and to heat our homes in certain parts of the country. (note: Transportation category includes transportation fuel for residential, commercial and industrial activities)

Or another source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfa...l.html#Howused
    There are 44 gallons in a barrel of oil.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 01-05-2009 at 01:09 PM.

humans are just recycled oil too.. All made of Carbon with different crap attached to the carbon atom.

I mean if it isnt made of carbon, you better be looking for other stuff on your periodic chart like lead and hydrogen.. hmmm

Oh trees are made of carbon too

Dont tell Al Gore!

The point of this post is that yeah, nearly everything can be made from manipulating petroleum/oil. That is what I do as a profession. Once other forms of carbon (biological means; growing 'stuff) gets cheaper, oil will go by the wayside. But until then, suck it up you are a slave to the middle east and russia

Quote Originally Posted by smithtg View Post
    humans are just recycled oil too.. All made of Carbon with different crap attached to the carbon atom.

I mean if it isnt made of carbon, you better be looking for other stuff on your periodic chart like lead and hydrogen.. hmmm

Dont tell Al Gore!

The point of this post is that yeah, nearly everything can be made from manipulating petroleum/oil. That is what I do as a profession. Once other forms of carbon (biological means; growing 'stuff) gets cheaper, oil will go by the wayside. But until then, suck it up you are a slave to the middle east and russia
    Oil is also organic.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They are able to make some plastics from trees now... which means, they can also make it from hemp.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by smithtg View Post

Dont tell Al Gore!

my next car/vehicle=electric

plastics are starting to be taxed in CA styrofoam cups too. Dependence on these products will decline.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

could anyone please suggest a good book for oil free petroleum free lifestlye? or at least reduction.

Thanks in advance

made of recycled hemp/paper or similar process 8)
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 01-06-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: text

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    could anyone please suggest a good book for oil free petroleum free lifestlye? or at least reduction.

Thanks in advance

made of recycled hemp/paper or similar process 8)

A hut in the Amazon would be good start. Even those guys probably have Nylon loincloths lol

Quote Originally Posted by nodope0695 View Post
    Even more reason to start drilling here, NOW!
    Drill and pump up all of our known recoverable oil. We will use it all up in just three years at our 2008 consumption rate (assuming no imports). We were using about 7 billion barrels a year and have a bit over 20 billion barrels in proven reserves.

If you want to reduce your consumption of oil, you can have the biggest impact by not using petroleum powered means of transportation- walk or ride a bike instead of driving or taking a bus everywhere sice that is responsible for 2/3 of our consumption.