Thread: Calvin and Hobbes explain economics

Calvin and Hobbes explain economics

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That is the stuff I grew up on...
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Same here man,

I believe I own every C&H comic strip ever written, unless there's a couple extra ones in the "Combo" books, that i don't know about.

This particular strip is great and very relevant
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

It's sad that the comic will be over most American's heads.

So sweet.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

That is still my favorite comic ever. I was so sad when he stopped writing new ones.

This explains everything.

I'm really tempted to send that one out to everyone on my mailing list.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's awesome.

By the way, it's great to see another fan of old Genesis.
    I just don't know what went wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by priest_of_syrinx View Post
    That's awesome.

By the way, it's great to see another fan of old Genesis.
    I figured he was referring to the french alien worshipers.

I'm feeling a pro-regulation undercurrent from this comic

I'm really tempted to send that one out to everyone on my mailing list.
    I'd settle for 435 congress criters and 100 senators...
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
    Paul Revere - "The British are coming!"
    Ron Paul - The Bankers are coming!
    "Evil People win when Good People do nothing"

"You're asking the poor people to bail out the rich. You're asking the innocent
    people to bail out the guilty. You're asking people to just totally defy the Constitution because there's
    no place in the Constitution that says that we can do these things."

Thumbs up thanks, OP!!

AWESOME!!!

That was my fave cartoon strip when I was a kid. I had the book that contains that comic, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    AWESOME!!!

That was my fave cartoon strip when I was a kid. I had the book that contains that comic, too!
    I've got the complete collection . Good stuff! </bragging>

It was always my favorite too. Peanuts nothing, C&H is the best comic ever, by far IMO.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by lodge939 View Post
    I'm feeling a pro-regulation undercurrent from this comic.
    Just reread it. You're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    Just reread it. You're probably right.
    Meh, could be. The main point is against subsidies for unprofitable businesses, and I think it makes that point quite well.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn't it really just against greed in general?

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    i've got the complete collection :d. Good stuff! </bragging>

it was always my favorite too. peanuts nothing, c&h is the best comic ever, by far imo.
    c&h ftw!! :d
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by lodge939 View Post
    I'm feeling a pro-regulation undercurrent from this comic
    From which side though?

In a free-market, Susie is right and Calvin will waste his time trying to sell his sludge water. (Ergo his need for a "subsidy").

In a regulated market, Calvin would be the only one with a "license" (FDA approval?) to sell consumable beverages...

So it depends on which way you are looking at it.

*I* think it is a satirical take on the attitudes of "Big Business" and is demonstrative of the fact that Calvin doesn't yet "get" how it works. (And Watterson was NEVER a fan of monopoly businesses or government run systems).

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    lmao

C & H is 20 years old, or more. Great stuff.

I never read the comics anymore. Maybe Dilbert once a month or so. Must be old age and hardening of the funny bone setting in.
    --------------------------------------------
    First step to ending the income tax: end payroll tax withholding.
    Require each American to write a check to their state and federal governments every month.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Patriot View Post
    C & H is 20 years old, or more. Great stuff.

I never read the comics anymore. Maybe Dilbert once a month or so. Must be old age and hardening of the funny bone setting in.
    No, they mostly suck. C&H was pretty much the only great comic.

I'd try http://xkcd.com/. It's pretty hilarious sometimes, especially if you're a little geeky.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeWhomYouDread View Post
    Krazy Kaju is a liar and a thief.

Krazy Kaju copied material off of this page of my website and pasted it onto the Mises Institute website without citing his source.

Thief!

I demand that the Krazy Kaju credit all material lifted off of other people's websites and formally apologize for his thievery.

Liar!

I demand that Krazy Kaju retract this statement and formally apologize for telling lies.

Man I miss that comic. I still remember being all sad that I was reading the last one.

Me too! I had 2 or 3 of the books full of C n H strips.

Quote Originally Posted by tremendoustie View Post
    I've got the complete collection . Good stuff! </bragging>

It was always my favorite too. Peanuts nothing, C&H is the best comic ever, by far IMO.
    I'm getting jealous here.

Quote Originally Posted by athan View Post
    man i miss that comic. I still remember being all sad that i was reading the last one.
    +10,000!!

My favorite comic strips are "Non Sequitur" and Dilbert.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle