Thread: Ron Paul Praised in The Weekly Standard

Ron Paul Praised in The Weekly Standard

My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

"This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In the name of justice we ought to recall that there was one candidate who did foresee our predicament with considerable accuracy when it still lay far in the future. Ron Paul, in almost every speech he made during the Republican primaries, spoke of bubbles, reckless credit growth, and the “unsustainability” of present policy. So why isn’t there more demand for the common-sense solutions he put forward?
    Yup. And the chuckleheads on either side of him in the debates now look like a bunch of deaf, dumb and blind asshats. But that doesn't stop Thompson from putting out videos, sounding just like Paul, pretending like he saw it coming the whole time.

Presidential Debate, Dearborn MI, October 9, 2007

BARTIROMO: The economy is America's greatest strength. In a recent poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC News, two-thirds of the American people said that we are either in a recession or headed toward one. Do you agree with that? And, as president, what will you do to ensure economy vibrancy in this country?

THOMPSON: I think there is no reason to believe that we're headed for a recession. We're enjoying 22 quarters of successive economic growth that started 2001 and then further in 2003 with the tax cuts that we put in place.

THOMPSON: We're enjoying low inflation. We're enjoying low unemployment. The stock market seems to be doing pretty well.

I see no reason to believe we're headed for an economic downturn.

As far as the economic prosperity of the future is concerned, I think it's a different story. I think if you look at the short term, it's rosy. I think if you look at a 10-year projection, it's rosy.

But we are spending money we do not have. We are on a mandatory spending lockdown that is pushing us in a direction that is unsustainable. We're spending the money of future generations, and those yet to be born. That has to do with our mandatory spending problem.

Everyone knows that we have to address that. And it's the fundamental and foremost challenge, I think, facing our country economically.

BARTIROMO: Senator, you painted a very nice picture. The Dow and the S&P 500 today at new highs -- tonight -- record numbers.

BARTIROMO: And, yet, two-thirds of the people surveyed said we are either in a recession or headed for one.

Why the angst?

THOMPSON: Well, I think there are pockets in the economy that, certainly, they're having difficulty. I think they're certainly -- those in Michigan that are having difficulty. I think you always find that in a vibrant, dynamic economy.

I think that not enough has been done to tell what some call the greatest story never told, and that is that we are enjoying a period of growth right now and we should acknowledge what got us there and continue those same policies on into the future.

MATTHEWS: OK.

Congressman Paul, I think you have questions and concerns about the bonanza in the hedge fund industry. Do you?

PAUL: Yes. I think this is not a consequence of free markets. What's happening is, there's transfer of wealth from the poor and the middle class to the wealthy.

PAUL: This comes about because of the monetary system that we have. When you inflate a currency or destroy a currency, the middle class gets wiped out.

So the people who get to use the money first which is created by the Federal Reserve system benefit. So the money gravitates to the banks and to Wall Street.

That's why you have more billionaires than ever before. Today, this country is in the middle of a recession for a lot of people. Michigan knows about it. Poor people know about it. The middle class knows about it. Wall Street doesn't know about it. Washington, D.C., doesn't know about it.

But it's because of the monetary system and the excessive spending. As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means.

And we have lived beyond our means because we are financing a foreign policy that is so extravagant and beyond what we can control, as well as the spending here at home.

And we're depending on the creation of money out of thin air, which is nothing more than debasement of the currency. It's counterfeit. And it is a natural, predictable consequence that you're going to have people benefit from it and other people suffer.

PAUL: So, if you want a healthy economy, you have to study monetary theory and figure out why it is that we're suffering. And everybody doesn't suffer equally, or this wouldn't be so bad.

It's always the poor people -- those who are on retired incomes -- that suffer the most. But the politicians and those who get to use the money first, like the military industrial complex, they make a lot of money and they benefit from it.

MATTHEWS: Thank you, Congressman.
    "Do you know that it's only beginning?" Ron Paul, November 28, 2007

Hard to believe The Weekly Standard would have *anything* good to say about Dr. Paul. Remember who the editor and founder of TWS is.

Quote Originally Posted by ValidusCustodiae View Post
    Hard to believe The Weekly Standard would have *anything* good to say about Dr. Paul. Remember who the editor and founder of TWS is.
    Yep. This guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLjniHoHSA

i have never been a member of a party i actually hate, wow gop your doing a great job at recruiting republicans
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.