Thread: Baltic Dry Index has been turning up

Baltic Dry Index has been turning up

Seems like 663 on the index on 12/5 could be a bottom, at least a temporary one.

Once those commodities start shipping again, look for prices to head higher.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/cbuild...er1=BDIY%3AIND

Per
    Deus
    Mos

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would prices go higher if supply is increasing? .. or better yet.. why are people shipping more raw materials when their price is falling?

It's an interesting development though.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    Why would prices go higher if supply is increasing? .. or better yet.. why are people shipping more raw materials when their price is falling?

It's an interesting development though.
    ...wrong train of thought here.... stuff gets shipped when there are orders for something=increasing demand= higher prices.

the boneheads at CNBC really think prices will stay so low (some under production cost) for a long time...

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Dumb question. If shipping increases, does it follow that some of the money blasted everywhere is finally trickling down and if it is, does this mean that some of the price increases are going to be related to inflation?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by the count View Post
    ...wrong train of thought here.... stuff gets shipped when there are orders for something=increasing demand= higher prices.

the boneheads at CNBC really think prices will stay so low (some under production cost) for a long time...
    Have you seen the acres and acres of cars piling up at the US ports? .. there's no demand, but lots of shipping going on.

From what I read a few weeks ago about the crashing BDI it was because there wasn't sufficient credit to ship the stuff. Now that there will be more of the raw materials available on the market won't the price of those goods temporarily go down?

I'm asking.. I'm with you, I think the price will go up, but short term it seems hard to believe that there is more demand when factories are shutting down all over. Maybe the producers of raw materials and the stockpilers are taking advantage of the super cheap shipping rates? They feel that buying stuff (like iron ore) when it's cheap and paying cheap shipping rates is an investment - for when demand of the stuff goes up. ??
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

Could be seasonal? I.e. holidays creating a slightly higher than normal demand....

They're printing fiat, and it's slowly working to stimulate the economy. We're going to print ourselves right out of this deflationary recession, past economic expansion, and into inflationary depression.