Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those looking for a food supply

For those looking for a food supply

I have been looking over the stuff I have bought so far and I have been contemplating what I need for a good years supply of food. I already have some 30+ buckets of food but I think I narrowed it down to 36 buckets for a family of three.

Black Turtle Beans 68 dollars a bucket ... at Homegrownharvest

Basmati Rice 55 dollars a bucket @ Sams club

Hard Red Wheat 50 pound bag 24 dollars @Montana Wheat

Now 12 buckets of each item will feed a family of 3 for a year

So for a years supply of food it will cost You about 1735.92 for a family of 3 compared to that mountain house crap that runs 1500 dollars for just one person.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No one told me we are gonna have shortage of food.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wow some people take the economic collapse a little to serious I would say. A little scared?
    Privatize the profits, socialize the losses. - Government at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by jkm1864 View Post
    I have been looking over the stuff I have bought so far and I have been contemplating what I need for a good years supply of food. I already have some 30+ buckets of food but I think I narrowed it down to 36 buckets for a family of three.

So for a years supply of food it will cost You about 1735.92 for a family of 3 compared to that mountain house crap that runs 1500 dollars for just one person.
    What about Spam?

Seriously, is that all you're storing?

Books on food storage recommend quality over quantity and a lot of variety.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I have about 3 weeks of food; tuna, honey, peanut butter, canned veggies, and a couple of other things, I don't intend to be hanging around, if the stores go empty though!

Just enough to throw in a small back pack that will go with me.

I think we are looking at a few weeks before prices take off and we start hearing rumblings in the masses, just my opinion though.

Hard Red Wheat 50 pound bag 24 dollars @Montana Wheat.
    Hard white wheat has a much better flavor for bread. It should be milled into flour just before you plan to use it.

Edit: You will also need fruits and vegetables to go along with that starch. Freeze dried meats or meat substitutes are also good to have on hand. Milk and other beverages will be good to have on hand as well. I understand, Dinty Moore beef stew will last for longer than four years in storage if kept in a cool environment. Canned tuna and salmon will also keep for a very long time.

Variety is very important or you may find yourself starving because you just can not eat enough of the beans, wheat and rice without going crazy with boredom.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 12-06-2008 at 06:03 PM.

The key to a food storage program is VARIETY. Mountain House and other freeze dried "crap" as you put it has its place. In fact I'd feel sorry for anyone that would have to live off what you have for a year.........rice, beans, and wheat? LMAO! That would get old in about a week. You should atleast look into getting some Red Feather canned butter and cheese. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

Edit: You will also need fruits and vegetables to go along with that starch.
    Yeah, you don't want to get scurvy.
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did you also buy a mill?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmistad View Post
    No one told me we are gonna have shortage of food.
    Let's hope not, or you're f***ed!

This is an estimate for 1 person for 1 year.
    table salt 4 # pickle salt 4 #
    milk (powdered) 60#
    oil 2 gallons, shortening 6#
    sugar 65#
    grains 375# legumes (dried) 60#
    yeast 0.75# baking powder 1#
    H2O, 1 year of vitamins.

I'm trying to store what I would use anyway (store what you eat, eat what you store).
    Last edited by DrCap; 12-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    "Inflation and deflation are about money supply and credit, the latter being more important." Mish Shedlock

If you're interested in Mountain House foods, Vitacost has $10.00 off $100.00 dollars worth of food. Vitacost.com...They have strawberries! and lots of variety

expires 12/12/08
    Last edited by sasharouge; 12-06-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: expiration date

cmon, with all he fatties we have here, how could there be a food shortage?? I could see high prices for whats on the shelf, but not a shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by schiffstudent View Post
    cmon, with all he fatties we have here, how could there be a food shortage?? I could see high prices for whats on the shelf, but not a shortage.
    Cannibalism?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Cannibalism?
    I think I just got a script idea for a horror movie.....

"American Cannibal" or "Fatty Famish"

"cut off their food supply, and they'll cut off your head"

Quote Originally Posted by sasharouge View Post
    If you're interested in Mountain House foods, Vitacost has $10.00 off $100.00 dollars worth of food. Vitacost.com...They have strawberries! and lots of variety

expires 12/12/08
    The best deals on freeze dried food I've found are on ebay. Alpine Aire and Richmoor Natural High are the most healthy and best brands. Regular MountainHouse is ok but can tend to have MSG and preservatives in them. Also don't forget that freeze dried food you only have to add water. They are very mobile as well. So those who say freeze dried food are overpriced and not necessary should think again. It's sometimes better than having buckets of food sitting around that you have to cook.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's good that you have all that, but you need to make sure than you have supplies to start a veg garden, and you should can, pickle, or otherwise preserve what you harvest from that. Better yet, get to know a local farmer and set up some sort of barter trading system. I made a deal with one where I get leftover (unsold) vegetables, as much as I can handle, and I can them, then keep half (she pays for her half of the jars, rings, and lids). With such a system already in place, if the economy collapses, I already have a steady source of food--enough for me, my family, hell, my whole neighborhood, especially if I use the autoclaves at work, which will let my can up to 50 quarts of veg at a time. If there is widespread rioting and looting, you can bet that at least one of those autoclaves is coming home with me

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    If there is widespread rioting and looting, you can bet that at least one of those autoclaves is coming home with me
    So, you're saying you would steal someone's private property? Tell me again what principles we're fighting for?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    So, you're saying you would steal someone's private property? Tell me again what principles we're fighting for?
    It is not how much food you store, but how much fire power.

I embrace all my gun hating neighbors.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

It is not how much food you store, but how much fire power.

I embrace all my gun hating neighbors.
    So, when we get scared, our principles regarding private property, etc., go out the window? Interesting. Seems to me that's exactly like what we denounced others doing.
    ================

So, when we get scared, our principles regarding private property, etc., go out the window? Interesting. Seems to me that's exactly like what we denounced others doing.
    Scared? No, hungry!

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Scared? No, hungry!
    Well, it's nice to know where you stand.
    ================

Well, it's nice to know where you stand.
    I'm pretty sure once your starving just your sense of survival kicks in. I mean if I haven't had food for a couple days, and I got someone like you bitching about personal liberty I would probably rob you first.

Seriously...who would sit there and let themselves die to preserve a personal liberty...your mind state is completely different once it kicks into survival mode.

Quote Originally Posted by icon124 View Post
    I'm pretty sure once your starving just your sense of survival kicks in. I mean if I haven't had food for a couple days, and I got someone like you bitching about personal liberty I would probably rob you first.

Seriously...who would sit there and let themselves die to preserve a personal liberty...your mind state is completely different once it kicks into survival mode.
    Thank god for the second amendment.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wow some people take the economic collapse a little to serious I would say. A little scared?
    I think it's pretty damn rude to laugh at someone just for being prudent. There might not be food shortages, but it's always a good idea to have extra supplies on hand if you can afford to. Also, I'm sure in 1929 lots of people were laughing at the idea of having to stand in breadlines.

Quote Originally Posted by sevin View Post
    I think it's pretty damn rude to laugh at someone just for being prudent. There might not be food shortages, but it's always a good idea to have extra supplies on hand if you can afford to. Also, I'm sure in 1929 lots of people were laughing at the idea of having to stand in breadlines.
    For the 1000000000000000th time...1929 and 2008 are completely different times...EVERYTHING is different.

and why not laugh at someone who has such a wild fantasy. It completely hilarious...espicially the type of food he is keeping too. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    Thank god for the second amendment.
    Oh for sure...but you know it would be bound to happen.

For the 1000000000000000th time...1929 and 2008 are completely different times...EVERYTHING is different.

and why not laugh at someone who has such a wild fantasy. It completely hilarious...espicially the type of food he is keeping too. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    You're absolutely right. Everything is different. In 1929, we had gold & silver behind our money. In 2008, we don't.

In 1929, the US had plenty of manufacturing facilities where we weren't dependent on foreign countries for our basic industrial needs. In 2008, we don't.

In 1929, it was a great insult to take a mortgage on your house. In 2008, it isn't.

In 1929, the US had enough farmers to feed everyone in America and export to the rest of the world. In 2008, we have more people in prison than we have farmers.

If you want to laugh at that, go for it. You won't be laughing when you are standing in the bread line, sharing the shortage with the rest of the communists.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

That's what you THINK. When in reality, your lifespan would end up being greatly shortened.

BTW, did you ever think of hunting wild game, getting to know your local farmers, growing your own food, etc.? Or is theft the first place your mind goes?
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 12-07-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    ================

That's what you THINK. When in reality, your lifespan would end up being greatly shortened.

BTW, did you ever think of hunting wild game, getting to know your local farmers, growing your own food, etc.? Or is theft the first place your mind goes?
    Obviously if I'm starving I have no source of food...so I can pretty much rule out getting to know my local farmers...which in my case are many many many many many miles away. By this time I have probably tried to hunt, but the closest thing I have in a city is birds and local pests. Hmmm so that leaves me with robbing you.

And come on with this 1929 crap again...how many times do we have to go through this over and over and over. People have been saying we we're going to collapse since the mid 70's. Using the same logic as you people are now...are we still here right now? I think so.

Obviously if I'm starving I have no source of food...so I can pretty much rule out getting to know my local farmers...which in my case are many many many many many miles away. By this time I have probably tried to hunt, but the closest thing I have in a city is birds and local pests. Hmmm so that leaves me with robbing you.
    No, actually it leaves you with being responsible and preparing to feed yourself NOW. If you do not, take personal responsibility for your actions.

And come on with this 1929 crap again...how many times do we have to go through this over and over and over. People have been saying we we're going to collapse since the mid 70's. Using the same logic as you people are now...are we still here right now? I think so.
    Okey dokey. Then, you will likely be one of the hungry ones who shows up at the wrong door of someone you plan to rob. Again proving that actions have consequences. Look, I'm not sure what's going to happen either, but if you examine the fundamentals, it doesn't look good at all. There should be enough out there right now for even a skeptic like yourself to understand that you should do at least some kind of minimal preparation. Just in case.

My main concern was that some supposed liberty-lovers immediately went to the position of stealing what they wanted, if they had failed to prepare themselves adequately. I find that rather curious, as it flies in the face of everything that liberty is all about. It's the tough times that really test people's resolves. If we're already talking about throwing out your principles NOW, well, let's just say that I wouldn't want to have my back to these people when the SHTF.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 12-07-2008 at 10:31 AM.
    ================

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast