Thread: Baby Names (a Personal Fascination, and a Gateway to Political Proselytizing!!!

Baby Names (a Personal Fascination, and a Gateway to Political Proselytizing!!!

OK, I know this is going to sound really, really lame to some of you, but I'm into names. Names are a fascination, a fixation, and even an obsession with me. Everything is in a name; attributes, potentials, airs, presuppositions, etc., and yet they are almost never a fixture of conversation or afterthought in modern society. I have dreams of what I'll name my children someday, and I frequent baby-naming sites on the web to find noms de guerre that are yet undiscovered, so that I might add to the list I am keeping of a multitude of interesting handles for my hypothetical future progeny.

One particular site I visit with somewhat alarming frequency is babynames.com, since it allows you to maintain a customized, editable list of favorite nomenclatural candidates that is attached to one's account. One feature of the site allows one to submit ideas for site-featured, user-generated "theme lists" that other users may peruse. Today, I sent them this list, which took a lot of research (and a lot of geekitude) to compile. It is entitled "Baby Names from Classical Liberal, Libertarian, and Individualist-Anarchist Theory"! Here was the body of my "pitch":

"Kind of esoteric, but it'd make a great list! Mostly, these picks would make very suitable middle names, and the list should definitely include:

Lysander
    Auberon
    Spencer
    Murray
    Rothbard
    Proudhon
    Godwin
    Stirner
    Tucker
    Hayek
    Roarke
    Rand
    Galt
    Voltairine
    Llewellyn
    Rockwell
    Bastiat
    Thoreau
    Nock
    Nozick
    Hazlitt
    Jefferson
    Konkin
    LeFevre
    Paine
    Molinari
    Castille
    Ruwart

...to name just a few. ;-) "

Hopefully, whoever's in charge of this site will read this, become intrigued, and investigate classical liberalism, libertarianism, and individualist-anarchist theory further. I doubt it, but it was worth a shot!
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 03-09-2010 at 04:42 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Our ten month old is named Henry David

Quote Originally Posted by 2orb View Post
    Our ten month old is named Henry David
    Nice!!!!!!!!!! Good choice!

I consider it an unofficial mandate of every Ron Paul Revolutionary to affix to their spawn some sort of liberty-related appellation!!!

Well, maybe not a "mandate", but it's a darned cool idea!

Not lame at all, OP. Authors spend hours deciding on names for characters because names set up expectations. You should get into etymology-it will teach you about the origins of names, along with words in general.

P.S. I don't see Frederic Bastiat on your list! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I am not sure how I will name my children, my list of boy options is:

Thomas Jefferson Evans
    Ronald Paul Evans
    Thomas Jackson Evans
    (insert political/military hero first and last name) Evans
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

Bastiat is there.
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.

Not lame at all, OP. Authors spend hours deciding on names for characters because names set up expectations. You should get into etymology-it will teach you about the origins of names, along with words in general.

Thank you, Heavenlyboy. That is very good advice, and I can already tell you that I am "et up" with a love for etymology!

D'oh!!! You're right! I put "Bastiat" on my list, but not "Frederick", which would have been a triple-header, as it was the first name of Frederick Bastiat, Frederick Hayek, and Frederick Douglass; three highly famed and historically significant liberty-lovers!

Looking back, I'm not sure I should have included Proudhon, as his most famous quote continues to be "Property is theft!" Most historians consider him an Individualist-Anarchist, but I'm not sure how one can fit this mold without supporting property rights!

Voltairine de Cleyre also flirted with the Collecitivist wing of Anarchism in her later years, but I included her because she started off a rabid individualist and really had it out with Emma Goldman a time or two!
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 12-06-2008 at 12:19 AM.

My first name is Paul however my wife didn't like the name Ronald. You can see where I was trying to take it but she wouldn't relent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2orb View Post
    My first name is Paul however my wife didn't like the name Ronald. You can see where I was trying to take it but she wouldn't relent.
    I can see where your wife was coming from with regard to her dislike of the name Ronald. But you could always derive Ron as a diminutive, from a full first name which has Ron as its tail end, like Auberon (which, ironically, is on my list, since it was the first name of Auberon Herbert, the founder of Voluntaryism!) Maybe next time!

One day, if we have a boy, my wife and i have decided on Caractacus.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

If somebody ever gets married, I think a perfect baby name would be Ron Paul. I think it's perfect, considering you know who met at a Ron Paul meetup.
    Last edited by Natalie; 12-06-2008 at 08:46 AM.

This website belongs to a Ron Paul supporter:

http://www.yeahbaby.com/
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Here's an idea-Jefferson Davis. (I don't know if that's been covered, I forgot to check)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Here's an idea-Jefferson Davis. (I don't know if that's been covered, I forgot to check)
    I have him under "other political/military heroes," I'd name my kid after Davis if the BS isn't rampant where I live when I move down South.

Bump for preggers Paulites!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Imina be the odd man out on the liberty baby stuff. My opinion is that its morally wrong to inculcate your values, other than those that govern moral behavior, into your children. The role of a parent, is to guide them to find their own path in life, not copy or adapt your own. It's a facet of unconditional love.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ducker View Post
    Imina be the odd man out on the liberty baby stuff. My opinion is that its morally wrong to inculcate your values, other than those that govern moral behavior, into your children. The role of a parent, is to guide them to find their own path in life, not copy or adapt your own. It's a facet of unconditional love.
    I completely agree with you, OD. I'd never advise someone to inculcate their children into any viewpoint, whether religious or political, because I've seen the consequences of this myself. But I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with naming your child after somebody you admire. After all, a lot of parents name their kids after themselves, their ancestors, or even Biblical figures. This list is more of a novelty than anything.

OK, I recognize all the names and their origins but Castille. Care to enlighten?

Quote Originally Posted by kkassam View Post
    OK, I recognize all the names and their origins but Castille. Care to enlighten?
    Wow...I'll have to do a little browsing to find that one again. I don't remember where it came from either!

*sigh* I got hosed with the name Philip Andrew Foster. It sounds so stiff and proper. It would be a great name if I had a title of nobility though. What's interesting is that I refer to myself as Philip, but my friends always call me Phil. Perhaps there's some subconscious self-resignation to my name to keep it stiff and proper.

As far as names go, I think they are interesting too. I think that my favorite names are the Germanic ones. They simply have a certain strength to them. My favorite name is Wilhelm (pronounced Vil-helm), for whatever reason. Well, that gives some of the backstory to my screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    I completely agree with you, OD. I'd never advise someone to inculcate their children into any viewpoint, whether religious or political, because I've seen the consequences of this myself. But I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with naming your child after somebody you admire. After all, a lot of parents name their kids after themselves, their ancestors, or even Biblical figures. This list is more of a novelty than anything.
    I have to emphatically disagree. Our children will be taught leftist dribble in schools. How can we expect them to realize its fallacies if we do not steer them towards the values of liberty? Children should be taught the importance of liberty and the free market from a young age - not forced to discover it on their own after being buried in statist crap.

Also - consider a Hindu couple. The believe their Hindu faith. Why would anybody expect them not to teach that Hindu faith to their children? That would be poor parenting to not share what they believe with their children. The same goes for any other faith. If you believe it, you should teach it to your children.

Quote Originally Posted by constituent View Post
    One day, if we have a boy, my wife and i have decided on Caractacus.
    My daughter has been on a "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" kick recently - which came to mind when I read Caractacus.

Another point to consider when naming a child is future privacy. How easily do you want a web search return information on your child? The more unique the name, the easier it is to find information on somebody. Sometimes it can be advantageous to be able to slip into the mob of everybody undetectable.

My last name is not particularly common, so the point for me is somewhat moot.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    I have to emphatically disagree. Our children will be taught leftist dribble in schools. How can we expect them to realize its fallacies if we do not steer them towards the values of liberty? Children should be taught the importance of liberty and the free market from a young age - not forced to discover it on their own after being buried in statist crap.

Also - consider a Hindu couple. The believe their Hindu faith. Why would anybody expect them not to teach that Hindu faith to their children? That would be poor parenting to not share what they believe with their children. The same goes for any other faith. If you believe it, you should teach it to your children.
    +1000
    If you're not teaching your values to your children, they're going to pick up values somewhere else. How can a liberty minded person be supportive of all the "it's the video games ruining our children" crap? That's essentially what is being proposed: let other people raise your kids, and complain and suck up to the government when it's not working out the way you'd hoped.

And as far as religion goes: if you're not teaching it to your kids, you don't really believe it, and you're wasting your time with it yourself.

Back OT: My name is Joseph. I know I was named for my uncle and grandfather, and they were undoubtedly named after either Christ's guardian or Jacob's son. But in truth, ever since I was a kid, the namesake I've most admired is Chief Joseph.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I'll probably name a son Ron. My dad's name is Ron too...so it will be like a double tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post

I know I'm in the minority. I understand your viewpoint and it's the prevalent view. If I were a Hindu, I wouldnt want my kids to accept it simply because I forced it on them. The same goes with liberty. If its true, they'll find it themselves, especially since they'll be exposed to it through me.

I abide by the instruction of a college professor of mine who said, "I cann't teach you anything, all I can do is point the way."