Thread: United States v. Lopez

United States v. Lopez

Has anyone else heard about this case? It went before the supreme court, and it seems fairly clear cut, but I've never heard of it before today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Lopez

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why was the GFSZ act not repealed by this?

In theory this should prevent a national ban on CCW, but they will try anyway.

I have to concur

Indeed. It seems to me that this ruling would nullify both the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Act. Although, of course, I am not nearly as knowledgeable in these areas as our esteemed legislature in washington.

I posted the question on KSCCW to which someone responded with:

Subsequent to Lopez, the "new and somewhat improved" GFZA was passed with certain amendments that made a feeble attempt at recognizing States' rights. These amendments were put in place prior to most States having CCW and/or reciprocity with other States. I think some good arguments can be made that a permit recognized from another State is as good as a permit issued in that State, but I do not think this issue has yet been tested.

I do think that any attempt at nationwide restrictions on CCW would be met with a wall of State sovereignty suits.