Thread: Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

Thumbs down Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

Let me get this straight. Where concealed carry is legal, but open carry is not, you can take a gun to public but can't let it be seen. Where Open Carry is legal you may visibly display the gun in public but can't hide it. WTF?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i think you've got it correct. Unless you live in Mississippi. Where our state constitution seems to allow open carry, but the state statute regarding concealed carry makes it illegal to carry a weapon concealed in whole or in part without a license. That sounds like a lot of other states except where they threw in the "in whole or in part". Some court somewhere down the line has determined that a handgun in a holster is "concealed in part." Therefore you need a CCW in order to openly carry too.

That seems to be the general consensus among the open carry proponents in Mississippi. It's the result of poorly written legislation and it also sucks that you need a license to exercise a right recognized by our state constitution.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt, the mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106 BC-43 BC

Quote Originally Posted by dees2003 View Post
    i think you've got it correct. Unless you live in Mississippi. Where our state constitution seems to allow open carry, but the state statute regarding concealed carry makes it illegal to carry a weapon concealed in whole or in part without a license. That sounds like a lot of other states except where they threw in the "in whole or in part". Some court somewhere down the line has determined that a handgun in a holster is "concealed in part." Therefore you need a CCW in order to openly carry too.

That seems to be the general consensus among the open carry proponents in Mississippi. It's the result of poorly written legislation and it also sucks that you need a license to exercise a right recognized by our state constitution.
    So is it ok to just walk around with a gun in your hand then? Or is your hand partly concealing the grip?

Can you have a pistol or rifle hanging from a leather sling?
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

in indiana, you have to obtain a license to carry a handgun; how you carry, open or concealed, is up to you.

in michigan, you can open carry without a CCW (carrying concealed weapon) permit or license. go to www.opencarry.org for mor info

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
    So is it ok to just walk around with a gun in your hand then? Or is your hand partly concealing the grip?

Can you have a pistol or rifle hanging from a leather sling?
    I haven't actually researched the court cases or anything personally. But from what i can gather, if you tied a lanyard around the trigger guard and hung it from your neck, the part of the trigger guard that is concealed by the lanyard is concealed and therefore you and carrying concealed. By that same logic if it is laying on a table, the part facing the table would be concealed...

I know ridiculous right?

From what i have read on opencarry.org there is no way to carry openly in Mississippi without a CCW permit. Even though the state consitution says we have a right to keep and bear arms. How am I supposed to exercise my right without a permit??? You don't need a permit for to exercise a right, if you do then its not a right its a privelage. So Mississippi law is screwed up...
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands curtailed, lest Rome become bankrupt, the mobs should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence."

Yes, but in Michigan if you Open Carry and get into a car you have violated the law, unless you unload it and store it for transport.
    In many states there are confusing and sometimes conflicting laws and ordinances.
    In most cases the Law enforcers are not even aware of what the law is.

The 2nd amendment was a good rule and should be re adopted.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Yes, but in Michigan if you Open Carry and get into a car you have violated the law, unless you unload it and store it for transport.
    Wow i hadn't heard that one yet. That is ridiculous. What if you were open carrying then you got on a motorcyle??? I wonder if you would be breaking Michigan law. In Mississippi we can carry anyway we want (Open, concealed, in the glovebox, or whatever) in a motor vehicle per our "Castle Doctrine" b/c the vehicle is an extension of your home. I'm not sure how that works for motorcycles though?

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    In most cases the Law enforcers are not even aware of what the law is.
    Yup I have seen this more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
    That would be brandishing and is probably illegal where open carry is prohibited. If you CCW where open carry is prohibited, and your gun prints or is momentarily exposed then it's usually OK.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes if you actually "palm" a gun in public then you will be $#@!ed unless someone is committing a crime and you are in the middle of "Removing the issue".

In california we can open carry (specifics based on city size and other b.s. though) BUT it MUST be unloaded. However you can open carry mags on your holster or belt BUT some have had issues with that as well.

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/C...aOpenCarry.pdf

Here is a great open carry forum to check out

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Let me get this straight. Where concealed carry is legal, but open carry is not, you can take a gun to public but can't let it be seen. Where Open Carry is legal you may visibly display the gun in public but can't hide it. WTF?
    As you can see, it's a hodgepodge from state to state.

In NH here's the deal:

You can openly carry a loaded sidearm, but you cannot carry it in a motor vehicle.

You can get a CCW, (which is very "informal", no training, no SS numbers, no photos, no databases, ten bucks for five years) and then carry in a motor vehicle, concealed or otherwise.

I usually carry open, or at most, loosely concealed under a jacket or flannel, and hardly ever get the "look", unless I travel downstate.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post

In california we can open carry BUT it MUST be unloaded.
    HA. i actually lol'ed when i read that. defeats the whole purpose of carrying....

I'd just as soon go back to the wild wild west. tones

Let's invent a clear holster for Mississippians

//
    Last edited by raystone; 03-20-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raystone View Post
    Now, what if a woman started openly carrying for the purpose of self defense ? Public opinion would be on her side, with logic being brought out that they should carry, but it would probably be in the best interest of citizens if this woman would be carrying concealed.
    Public opinion, at least that of the sheeple, is not on her side:

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Toti...9-24-2008.html

FYI her permit has been restored by a judge and she is now suing the sheriff to recover legal fees.