Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: George Carlin on Libertarianism

I've got a great satire at home (somewhere--probably in the basement) called "Mad Magazine's Campus Comic of the Year". It accuses Carlin of getting half of his material from college bathroom walls and using the noises bodily functions make to fill in the rest of his shows. They really weren't very far off the mark. The one episode of his tv show I saw I turned off after a lengthy expostulation on nostril hair...

Yes, he had quite a comedic insight. As a fast driver, I think he summed up Americans' narcisistic attitudes toward driving well--I am the best driver in the world, therefore everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot and everyone who drives faster than me must be a maniac. I do think he nailed that one--why else would Americans not think twice about hogging the passing lane and refusing to let people by? He could see the b.s. and do a good job of calling us on our b.s., but he could only seldom see the reason behind the b.s. and he never, never came up with a constructive alternative.

Which isn't a condemnation. After all, he was just a jester. What's funny about constructive alternatives?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 11-28-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I've got a great satire at home (somewhere--probably in the basement) called "Mad Magazine's Campus Comic of the Year". It accuses Carlin of getting half of his material from college bathroom walls and using the noises bodily functions make to fill in the rest of his shows. They really weren't very far off the mark. The one episode of his tv show I saw I turned off after a lengthy expostulation on nostril hair...

Yes, he had quite a comedic insight. As a fast driver, I think he summed up Americans' narcisistic attitudes toward driving well--I am the best driver in the world, therefore everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot and everyone who drives faster than me must be a maniac. I do think he nailed that one--why else would Americans not think twice about hogging the passing lane and refusing to let people by? He could see the b.s. and do a good job of calling us on our b.s., but he could only seldom see the reason behind the b.s. and he never, never came up with a constructive alternative.

Which isn't a condemnation. After all, he was just a jester. What's funny about constructive alternatives?
    Constructive alternative: "The world is doing just fine, the people are just going away." -- George Carlin

Last edited by Truth Warrior; 11-28-2008 at 08:35 AM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

RIP
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12