Thread: Can you get rid of your social security number?

Default Can you get rid of your social security number?

I have no idea where this goes so if it belongs in another section mods please put it in the right place

I know that it is technically possible to not ever get a social security number for your child but even that is getting harder and harder now days unless you have a home birth. BUT what if your parents didn't consider the consequences and saddled you with one. Is there a way to get rid of it? If so... how? I know if anyone knows where to even begin it would be someone here lol...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post
    I have no idea where this goes so if it belongs in another section mods please put it in the right place

I know that it is technically possible to not ever get a social security number for your child but even that is getting harder and harder now days unless you have a home birth. BUT what if your parents didn't consider the consequences and saddled you with one. Is there a way to get rid of it? If so... how? I know if anyone knows where to even begin it would be someone here lol...
    Stop using it, now with that comes issues. Like most jobs, medical care among most anything else REQUIRES it. Taxes as well will need that fun number as well.

Only way I could see NOT using it is simple.

1. Own your own business and use your business tax id for tax purposes
    2. See if you can use OTHER forms of identification besides the ss card
    3. Maybe making income that you don't report and hope nothing ever comes back to kick you in the butt as far as back taxes and potential jail time for not handing over the funds.
    4. claim exempt on your taxes - I think you can tell your employer to NOT file because that is not mandatory for them to do so and it is a personal decision. Taxes are voluntary or that is the way I see it.

To live a normal and happy American life right now though, I think the only way to live happy without one is to become an illegal alien and get a free ride that way.

Wonder if there are any employers who do not believe in income being taxed and would not require that you give them a ss card.

I can't think of too many NEEDED things in our lives that do NOT require one whether as simple paperwork or as a requirement.

great topic and can't wait for MORE informed people than myself to toss some knowledge out.

Can you ask that your child NOT have a social security card? If that is true than I have a baby on the way who I would love to take off the grid. My son didn't get that opportunity but I am not sure if you can actually decline it AND get medical care for the child.

It would be great if all you needed to show was a birth cert and id and leave the money draining and a waste of income SOCIAL SECURITY to the old folks who got suckered into it.

I don't work a regular job and don't pay personal taxes in that fashion myself so odds are I would not really see much when I "retire".

great topic
    Support Marijuana Legalization WORLDWIDE

I met a guy awhile back in the LP party and he said he did not get his 2 kids SS numbers and they are over 18 now, so yes it can be done, not give your kids SS numbers, but not sure how, if you want more info let me know and will see if I can find his contact info

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I met a guy awhile back in the LP party and he said he did not get his 2 kids SS numbers and they are over 18 now, so yes it can be done, not give your kids SS numbers, but not sure how, if you want more info let me know and will see if I can find his contact info
    I want that info as well. I would love to do that for my newborn whenever he or she arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    I want that info as well. I would love to do that for my newborn whenever he or she arrives.
    http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10023.html#must

make sure you read/ask questions about all the hospital forms before you sign them.
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post

make sure you read/ask questions about all the hospital forms before you sign them.
    sweet thank you...

damn the man

just had a son and he's not getting an SSN.

I filled out the birth certificate paperwork with the hospital for the county. on the form, there is a question which asks:

"do you want XXXXXXX county to apply for a social sercurity number with the State Department of health? Yes/No"

I checked the "No" box. Now the interesting part.

I got a 'birth confirmation' letter from the hospital's recaords department stating that they've sent the info to the county to get a birth certificate. It also said "Permission has been given to apply for a social security number from the State Department of health"
    I knew I checked "no" so i called the hospital's records department and reache thel ady in charge of records. i simply told her that I didn't want them to apply for a number and that i'd do it myself. she looked up my file and sure enough, i had checked no. she said that everyone checks "yes" so she must have just missed this one. she said she had no idea if this could be reversed or not, or if anyone has ever requested this. i told her to contact the state department of health and let them know she made a mistake. she said she would. a few minutes later she called back and told me that they hadn't received the paperwork yet and that they'd make sure not to apply for an SSN. she also said she'd call back to confirm that thigns were filed correctly with the state. it went very well and i was pleasantly suprised.

i have no idea how you can get rid of your current SSN. i'm just trying to give my son a leg up. when he's old enough, he can choose to get one or not. i wish my parents did this for me.

I have two sons. One son I got a SS number for him, but I regret it. I also don't know what the number is because I never got the documentation back. I no longer live at the address the SS information would have been sent to. So to get the number I'd have to request the documents again from the SS admin and I am not inclined to do it.

My second son as of yet isn't an American. He's registered as a Korean national. I will get him a US passport in the future and I will make a point of not getting a SS number for him.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

I considered this with my son, but you cannot get a passport for a minor without a social security number. Foreign travel is important to us, so just FYI you are giving up the option to leave the country if you don't get a SSN.

Quote Originally Posted by craezie View Post
    I considered this with my son, but you cannot get a passport for a minor without a social security number. Foreign travel is important to us, so just FYI you are giving up the option to leave the country if you don't get a SSN.
    No, not the option to leave the country... just the option to come back in most of the time. Crossing the border to other countries I have gotten by fine with a birth certificate and ID. I guess Obama would have had trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by me3 View Post
    Sounds like you guys are guilty of conspiracy to commit Liberty.

everywhere & nowhere, but always here: Union of Soviet America
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by newyearsrevolution08 View Post
    Can you ask that your child NOT have a social security card?
    Yes.

4 children. 0 SSNs.

It helps if you have testicles, though, since the hospital personnel seem to believe it's required by law; it isn't.

Just say NO, politely the first time they ask you to fill out the SSN forms, then more firmly each successive time, until they stop asking. Give them a break, at first, since they're just ignorant and accustomed to everyone else immediately acquiescing. Chances are, the first time you send them back to do their homework, unless they're truly ignorant fascists, the'll discover you're right and won't bother you again. Even the persistent ones don't have a leg to stand on, so just shrug them off.

If it makes you feel better to give an explanation, simply say that accepting the mark of the beast is a decision you'd rather leave up to your child.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary Man View Post

If it makes you feel better to give an explanation, simply say that accepting the mark of the beast is a decision you'd rather leave up to your child.

I got mine when I was 12, before I understood much. First job and taxes. It then became my Army serial no.
    I did live for 7 years, on the run from legal authorities and worked several jobs..
    I just made one up. Works fine as long as you don't file a tax return.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RSLudlum View Post

Thanks.

My favorite FAQ was "What if I lose my card?"

Why, SSA will simply tattoo the # on your hand and forehead, of course.

What about for yourself, not for your kid? besides this.......

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4029.pdf

do you just stop using it? stop giving it out?
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Thank you for asking this question. I've been trying to get answers on this too, for a long time.

Well, actually, several years ago I asked about changing the number, because when I had a temp job one time, a bunch of social security numbers were stolen from the building I worked at, and apparently an illegal in So Cal was using my ss#. I didn't really get much help with that, but the impression I got was that it's impossible to change your #. Getting rid of it altogether sounds like a better idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post
    What about for yourself, not for your kid? besides this.......

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4029.pdf

do you just stop using it? stop giving it out?
    Since SSA refuses to delete files of dormant SSNs, and will not reissue the #, it will always be "yours," in a sense -- always just sitting there, waiting for you to reactivate it.

How you feel about telling those who request an SSN that you "don't have one" is up to you. It does make it more complicated to opt-out of such requests on the basis of simply not having a #.

However, if part of your opposition is religious (or philosophical), anyway, simply refusing to use or acknowledge the # could be sufficient (especially if it was imposed upon you without your consent or knowledge).

A valid interpretation of the reference to the # being in the head and hand is that it becomes a part of our thoughts and actions; when it is no longer remembered or used, and when no artifact of it is retained or replaced, in that sense, the # ceases to be yours, especially if you never accepted it in the first place.
    Last edited by Voluntary Man; 03-12-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

I got mine when I was 12, before I understood much. First job and taxes. It then became my Army serial no.
    I did live for 7 years, on the run from legal authorities and worked several jobs..
    I just made one up. Works fine as long as you don't file a tax return.
    At least your parents didn't do it to you.

Awesome thread, thnx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    The government is incapable of doing what it's supposed to do. A job like the provision of security is something best left to private institutions.
    My music/art page is here"government is the enemy of liberty"-RP
    That which doesn't kill me has made a grave tactical error
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This whole board is a thoughtcrime in progress.
    [IMG]
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMoF6luCUAIm1vO.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by danke View Post
    I carry my man purse for fashion, not function.

Quote Originally Posted by jsu718 View Post
    No, not the option to leave the country... just the option to come back in most of the time. Crossing the border to other countries I have gotten by fine with a birth certificate and ID. I guess Obama would have had trouble.
    You can't fly with a birth certificate. International flights always require a passport. You used to be able to cross the border on foot/by car with just a just certificate. You can't anymore. You can still cross if you have a Real ID compliant state ID/enhanced drivers license, but only to Canada and only by car/foot/boat.

Edit: REAL ID compliant ID's and drivers licenses require a SSN

Documentation required before issuing a license or ID card
    Before a card can be issued, the applicant must provide the following documentation:

A photo ID, or a non-photo ID that includes full legal name and birthdate.
    Documentation of birth date.
    Documentation of legal status and Social Security number
    Documentation showing name and principal residence address.

Digital images of each identity document will be stored in each state DMV database.
    Therefore, for all international travel a Social Security number is needed. You need one to get a passport, passport card or REAL ID compliant ID or Enhanced DL
    Last edited by eduardo89; 03-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, The Lord is with thee.
    Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of death.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Therefore, for all international travel a Social Security number is needed. You need one to get a passport, passport card or REAL ID compliant ID or Enhanced DL
    You do not need a SSN to get a passport. I left the field blank.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of apportionment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You do not need a SSN to get a passport. I left the field blank.
    By law you do have to provide a SSN. Look up 26 U.S.C. 6039E. Maximum penalty is a fine of $500.

If you use the online application form, you can't go to page 2 unless you insert an SSN.

Edit: you are required by law to provide a SSN only if you already have one.
    Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing.
    Last edited by eduardo89; 03-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, The Lord is with thee.
    Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of death.
    Amen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    By law you do have to provide a SSN. Look up 26 U.S.C. 6039E. Maximum penalty is a fine of $500.

If you use the online application form, you can't go to page 2 unless you insert an SSN.

Edit: you are required by law to provide a SSN only if you already have one.
    Just enter this default #:

666-66-6666

Just saw your edit. Yes. That's the point people keep missing: you are required (by law) to DISCLOSE your SSN to certain government agencies, as a condition of receiving "services." However, you are NOT required to have a #. So, if you have no #, you must truthfully disclose that fact (there's a penalty for falsely claiming "no #"). "Service" can not be denied you. However, most bureaucrats are as ignorant of this fact as the test of the public, because they encounter this circumstance as often as they encounter Big Foot. It's up to us to educate ourselves and them.
    Last edited by Voluntary Man; 03-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendi View Post

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-521.pdf request to withdraw application. simple enough