Thread: Canada Savings Bonds... Should i sell them?

Canada Savings Bonds... Should i sell them?

This is probably a stupid question,b ut i have some money saved up in Canada Savings Bonds, and they have grown consistently over the last 15 years.

With this coming collapse, i feel like it might be a good idea to shift these into gold, since it seems to be at a low right now.

Gold is a better investment than bonds, correct?
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i am still hesitant on gold there are two kinds of gold buyers investors/speculators and consumer. Especially Asian consumers (India) have big impact on gold prices they buy it for marriages, if their growth slows down there from 8% to 4-5% and Obama comes down hard on outsourcing it will definitely impact gold sales there. I would like some solid data on those before jumping in...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
    i am still hesitant on gold there are two kinds of gold buyers investors/speculators and consumer. Especially Asian consumers (India) have big impact on gold prices they buy it for marriages, if their growth slows down there from 8% to 4-5% and Obama comes down hard on outsourcing it will definitely impact gold sales there. I would like some solid data on those before jumping in...
    interesting way of looking at it, i really have no idea what to do here, but i don't really want to be invested in FIAT anymore.
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

I'm not an economist or a financial expert, but there's no way a savings bond (~3% interest) can keep up with inflation.
    "My pride in my country is inversely proportional to Michelle Obama's pride in her country."
    - Me

Quote Originally Posted by TastyWheat View Post
    I'm not an economist or a financial expert, but there's no way a savings bond (~3% interest) can keep up with inflation.
    yea I hear ya but, a couple of weeks ago I bought some gold at 900 / ounce and now it's only 740 / ounce. How do I know that gold is going to be any more stable than bonds?

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    interesting way of looking at it, i really have no idea what to do here, but i don't really want to be invested in FIAT anymore.
    Gold is less risky, safer and more liquid than bonds. One way gold is superior to FIAT is because fiat is subject to counter-party risk as the government can go bankrupt. Fiat is a financial asset whereas gold is a tangible asset.

yea I hear ya but, a couple of weeks ago I bought some gold at 900 / ounce and now it's only 740 / ounce. How do I know that gold is going to be any more stable than bonds?
    You perform your mental value calculations backwards. Don't worry as almost everyone does.

It absolutely isn't going to be. History tells us so.

The safe play is to just hedge your portfolio with a small amount of gold. If majority of your portfolio is gold, then you are a speculator, you can stand to win big or lose big as well.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bernanke said he has his money in Canadian Treasury bills. So that's a vote to stay put in bonds. Wait till word comes out at 3pm eastern on the world wide summit. Hope you've got lots of food.

China is talking about racheting up its gold stores... I don't think any of us know....anything.