Thread: Obama wants to raise min wage to 9.50 by 2011

Obama wants to raise min wage to 9.50 by 2011

Raise the Minimum Wage to $9.50 an Hour by 2011: Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that people who work full time should not live in poverty. Before the Democrats took back Congress, the minimum wage had not changed in 10 years. As president, Obama will further raise the minimum wage, index it to inflation.

That's a lot of inflation! about 30 %

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yay!!!! happy meals are gonna cost $5 !!!!
    Reality is independent of Popularity.

Otter Mii-kun

...and more unemployment, especially youth (of course fellow Democrats will say that they should be in college or university, not working any kind of job until they graduate with at least a bachelor's degree).

The minimum wage could be $9999999999/hour and Democrats would STILL be whining for another increase!

Quote Originally Posted by RideTheDirt View Post
    Raise the Minimum Wage to $9.50 an Hour by 2011: Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that people who work full time should not live in poverty. Before the Democrats took back Congress, the minimum wage had not changed in 10 years. As president, Obama will further raise the minimum wage, index it to inflation.

That's a lot of inflation! about 30 %
    Yeah, but if they index it only to the fake CPU... it'll still be about the same.

Plus with the new and increased payroll taxes (oops, my bad... I meant the new required "voluntary contributions") it'll be like getting a pay cut.

And, by establishing a new set of "wage controls" even MORE people will be without jobs and therefore in desperate NEED of government assistance... that's how you build grateful recipients of government handouts (aka Democratic voters).

Now all he needs to do is setup rent and price controls, and then business cartels to "optimize" efficiency and end all of that nasty cut throat competition... and he'll make FDR look like a piker.

Fascism here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by Otter Mii-kun View Post
    ...and more unemployment, especially youth (of course fellow Democrats will say that they should be in college or university, not working any kind of job until they graduate with at least a bachelor's degree).

The minimum wage could be $9999999999/hour and Democrats would STILL be whining for another increase!
    It's all about change and hope.

There are no goals, except to make life "better".

who knows what $9.50 will be worth by then...it might be just enough to wipe your azz with.
    "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."--Thomas Jefferson

I think the "people will lose jobs" argument is weak.

How many employers have you known that said:

"I'm going to hire more people than I absolutely need because the minimum wage is so low".

It can be 5$/hr or $10/hr, businesses will get by with the fewest people they need either way.

Quote Originally Posted by fj45lvr View Post
    who knows what $9.50 will be worth by then...it might be just enough to wipe your azz with.
    Yeah, I mean controlling for inflation, 9.50 will probably be less than the real minimum wage is now by 2011.
    Carthago Delenda Est

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

"I'm going to hire more people than I absolutely need because the minimum wage is so low".

It can be 5$/hr or $10/hr, businesses will get by with the fewest people they need either way.
    Many businesses work on the margin. Especially small business. That means if their costs go up, they cannot recover them with their revenues, they have to let people go.

Large corporations who have vast amounts of credit lines can utilize their credit to afford the increases in pay for their workers until the smaller businesses are out of business. At that point, they capture a good portion of the market share and make up for their lost sales.

That's why minimum wage hurts small businesses the most.

Also, some people don't have families and a mortgage and just want to make extra money. For example and aunt or teenager who lives with their family. They would be willing to work for less than minimum wage, and there are businesses who would have work for them to do if they could pay them the lower wages. The government takes these positions away completely.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

that's pretty high...though that is in 2011...the bad news is, would it be indexed to deflation too. If you had a period if high inflation (high by the phony CPI), then you had a decent deflation or even a minor one, the minimum wage would still be at it's previous high during the time of inflation.

Deflation+artificially high wage = even more unemployment and even higher prices.

Minimum wage is bad, as is, with the unemployment havoc is wrecks, and, especially, the price increases it causes...but indexing it to inflation? That's a whole new disaster we absolutely do not want.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

That's why minimum wage hurts small businesses the most.
    No, it hurts them the 2nd most.

The people who get hurt the worst are the unskilled workers whose labor is worth less then the new minimum wage. The minimum wage is essentially putting them out of work.

But I'm sure Obama has a nice welfare plan for these people.

What a great strategy. Force productive people out of work by saying that their labor is not valued enough to be traded in the marketplace. Then steal money from the people with higher valued labor and give it to the people you just forced out of work.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
    No, it hurts them the 2nd most.

The people who get hurt the worst are the unskilled workers whose labor is worth less then the new minimum wage. The minimum wage is essentially putting them out of work.

But I'm sure Obama has a nice welfare plan for these people.

What a great strategy. Force productive people out of work by saying that their labor is not valued enough to be traded in the marketplace. Then steal money from the people with higher valued labor and give it to the people you just forced out of work.
    You have defeated me.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You have defeated me.

:bunchies::bunchies:

Change the minimum wage and let's hope for better results.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter." -- Winston Churchill

Damn proud Classical Liberal/Minarchist!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Orlonater View Post
    Change the minimum wage and let's hope for better results.
    All we need for hope to change is audacity!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should read "Healing our world" by Mary Ruwart

Supporting Member
    Missouri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

no but as a small business owner with a certain budget for payroll, will have to let someone go, or up the budget, which in a lot of cases isn't possible, especially if your a LLC, you can't pay yourself, not even a salary in some cases, and when your not able to pay yourself, you have to take money from profits to pay the extra payroll, if this happens we will have to let some people go.

there was a blog a while back discussing the minimum wage....it's not secret that liberal don't like WalMart...most of the time.

Either way, in this blog, the State was going to raise the minimum wage (or was trying to); WalMart came swinging to support it so that it would pass; trying pointing this out to people who support it; it may perplex them a bit (of they'll see what you're doing and get all defensive); if it does, point out the effects of the minimum wage on small business owners and how it just ingrains large corporations into their market-share, thus giving them a government-sponsored monopolistic position. Then point out that if business owners don't lay people off they have to raise prices, which wipes out the benefit the minimum wage desired to put into place in the first instance anyway.

Well that's sure to ratchet up black teen unemployment ........................... AGAIN!!! Just what they need.

Aren't many union contracts pay increases pegged somehow to the minimum wage?

Beware the "Law of Unintended Consequences".
    Last edited by Truth Warrior; 11-08-2008 at 05:43 AM.

If you don't fully understand why minimum wage laws are bad, make sure you read this so you are prepared to debate with liberals in the future.

http://jim.com/econ/chap19p1.html