Thread: Colonial Marriage Certificate

Colonial Marriage Certificate

I've been transcribing a Revolutionary War pension application this week, and I thought I would post a copy of the colonial certificate of marriage included in the file.

They did things just a little different back in those days!

In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, I just love this stuff.

Genealogy is a passion of mine! I luck onto some neat records like this once in a while.
    " Let it not be said that we did nothing." -- Ron Paul

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -- Ron Paul

Lydia died without the pension being approved. She didn't have a copy of her marriage license, and she lived in the back woods of Kentucky. Apparently, she finally obtained a copy, but it was too late. She was 99 years old when she found it, and she died shortly thereafter.

In those days, the government did not keep these records. It was the responsibility of the individual. Yet, proof was still required.

Quote Originally Posted by dsentell View Post
    Oh, I just love this stuff.

Genealogy is a passion of mine! I luck onto some neat records like this once in a while.
    Yeah, this is the oldest marriage certificate I've come across in the family. I was pretty excited.

Yes..it was a church issue...and there was no tax. Most kept records in the family bibles. Tones

Quote Originally Posted by tonesforjonesbones View Post
    Yes..it was a church issue...and there was no tax. Most kept records in the family bibles. Tones
    Yep.

I don't know--I just found these records--but I would guess that she shipped the family Bible off with her oldest son. He died in Indiana 15 years before she submitted the certificate. She may have had a tough time finding the family Bible!

Quote Originally Posted by tonesforjonesbones View Post

And it should go back to being a church or private issue. The only business The Almighty State has in marriage is to address fraud or to enforce contracts.
    If God himself got off his throne, descended from the heavens, trumpetted at my door, and announced that I was wasting my time trying to get Ron Paul into the Whitehouse, I would thank him for his concern and ask him to leave me to my business. I've wasted lots of time on far less noble causes. ~RockEnds

I'm having fun with the research in North Carolina. I had ancestors in two counties there (make it three now) during the Revolution, but they only stayed for a generation, then they were off to Kentucky and Indiana. When you get back that far, there are so many ancestors that it's really hard to keep up with all the different lines.

Anyway, I came across this piece from Mecklenburg County, and I thought it was worth posting. I was not aware this was done, but it's a wonderful piece of local American History.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nc...eclaration.htm

Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA
    MAY 20, 1775

Resolved: That whosoever directly or indirectly abets or in any way way form or manner, covutenances the invasion of our rights, as attempted by the Parliment of Great Britain, is an enemy to his country, to America, and the rights of man.

Resolved: That we, the citizens of Mecklenburg county, do hereby disolve the political bonds which have connected us with the mother country, and absolve ourselves from all allegiance to the British crown, abjuring all political connection with a nation that has wantonly trampled on our rights and liberties and inhumanly shed the innocent blood of Americans at Lexington.

Resolved: That we do hereby declare ourselves a free and independent people, that we are and of right to be, a sovereign and self-governing people under the power of God and the general Congress; to the maintenance of which independence we solemnly pledge to each other our mutual cooperation, our lives, our fortunes, and our most sacred honor.

Resolved: That we do hereby ordain and adopt as rules of conduct, all and each of our former laws, and the crown of Great Britain cannot be considered hereafter as holding any rights, privileges, or immunities amongst us.

Resolved: That all the officers, both civil and military in this county, be entitled to exercise the same powers and authorities as heretofore; that every member of this delegation shall henceforth be a civil officer, and exercise the powers of a justice of the peace, issue process, hear and determine controversies according the law, preserve peace, union and harmony in the county, and use every exertion to spread the love of liberty and of country, until a more general and better organized system of government be established.

Resolved: That a copy of these resolutions be transmitted by express to the President of the Continental Congress assembled in Philadelphia, to be laid before that body.

Abraham Alexander, Chairman

John McNitt Alexander, Secretary

Ephraim Brevard

Charles Alexander

Hezekiah J. Balch

Zaccheus Wilson

John Phifer

Waightstill Avery

James Harris

Benjamin Patton

William Kennon

Matthew McClure

John Foard

Neill Morrison

Richard Barry

Robert Irwin

Henry Downs

John Flennikin

Ezra Alexander

David Reese

William Graham

John Davidson

John Qureary

Richard Harris

Hezekiah Alexander

Thomas Polk

Adam Alexander

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and that's why "May 20, 1775" is on the NC flag.. but there's some disagreement about whether it actually happened.

And there used to be big celebrations on May 20 in Charlotte. There's a group that's trying to keep that alive.
    NC doesn't need ThomTillis as the Republican nominee for US Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    and that's why "May 20, 1775" is on the NC flag.. but there's some disagreement about whether it actually happened.

And there used to be big celebrations on May 20 in Charlotte. There's a group that's trying to keep that alive.
    That's cool. I'll have to study up on this. I've never heard of it before. It really is a heck of a statement--if it happened.